A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: HDoan
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 7, 2017 05:48 PM
Interests:
Your Age: purple
What Games do you play:
"'Tis only happens to them Asians" - ODX 2008
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
HDoan has contributed to 2335 posts out of 469152 total posts (.50%) in 4,533 days (.52 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: Thanks for the advice We should start with prototyping the weapons and balancing them, I will consider using CMT's balancing system since it's the best for campaign, although for multiplayer we might have to come up with our own balancing (assuming we do multiplayer). The reason I want to use CMT's Covie tags is not just because they fit reach's art style, but it's the only way I can bring the shredder in but if worst comes to worst and I have to use reach covie tags I'll probably just use the untextured model and have a team member re-texture it to fit the art style of reach, but keep the code for the damage values from CMT. And this is why I need people like you on the team, because I would have never thought of that.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 07:42 AM

Absolutely use tags that are available to you. The best way I learned was taking apart Zteam and CMT tags. My concern is just the art style. I shot mydelf in the foot when I was with H3MT and we decided on custom models and textures despite the assets being available to us. However, seeing as you want to redo Halo Reach, I would simply just use the reach assets with whatever tags you want. Does CMT's match the style? Sure. But why not just use the ones from reach? Imagine you went to an Italian restaurant but they also served Chinese food. Is it really an Italian restaurant then? It's minimal effort to get it in game anyway.

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
By definition, you can't use our visual and make it consistent with your visuals. People expect a certain behavior from what they have seen before. If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different. The same goes for our content. You are best off just using the reach assets, if you want things to play like reach.

To expand on this, if I was coming in from playing Halo 3/4/5 and all of the sudden the Halo 6 Assault Rifle played like a sniper it would be weird. To change something that is expected forces the users to have to relearn how to use it.

Quote: If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different.

This is very important. Why am I as a user motivated to pick up the assault rifle to learn how to use it?

The best thing you can do for this project to succeed is to first decrease your scope. Right now (I could be completely wrong) you should worry about specific aspects instead of the overall project. Don't worry about bipeds, vehicles, or anything except for weapons right now because that is the core of this. Once you get weapons down or rolling then you can add onto your scope. Heck, even use tutorial.map to test the weapons.

My two-cents about a project recreating from another game, don't use custom models and textures unless you can't obtain the extracted material. Your name is Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team. Not Halo Reach And CMT Campaign Mapping Team. Of course you are more than free to use assets that have been released or obtained, but it doesn't meet your goal of this project.
Edited by HDoan on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:55 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Map Designing Teams Feb 10, 2015 03:21 PM (Total replies: 42)

I feel you

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 26, 2014 07:33 PM (Total replies: 12123)

I'll be waiting for this link

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Nov 13, 2014 07:02 PM (Total replies: 14969)

Anything with a lens flare gets drawn over the HUD.

Halo CE General Discussion » Zteam Tags (as of 2011-02-11) Aug 3, 2014 01:19 PM (Total replies: 121)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: HDoan
The things I would have done for these tags years ago... Makes me tempted to install CE and make a H3-Tutorial map.
/partially kidding
/I'm not kidding
/I'm pathetic

I already beat you to it >:D

Imagine what could be done if you returned...

And you should check out H3 Foundry if you haven't already.

I did a few months ago, looks great! Too bad not many people were playing when I was on.

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
The things I would have done for these tags years ago... Makes me tempted to install CE and make a H3-Tutorial map.
/partially kidding
/I'm not kidding
/I'm pathetic

Why not just tutorials instead???

Pleeeeaaaaseee

I'm afraid I've been too away from HEK for so long that I don't remember most of it LOL

Halo CE General Discussion » Zteam Tags (as of 2011-02-11) Aug 2, 2014 07:36 PM (Total replies: 121)

/partially kidding
/I'm not kidding
/I'm pathetic

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Feb 11, 2014 12:42 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Trust me, it's all there.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Feb 10, 2014 11:46 PM (Total replies: 12123)

After being missing from the community for such a long time, Masterz has invited me to watch a gameplay of b40. Of course, being an old friend of Masterz and being someone who casually checks in on CMT, I jumped on that offer. Now, the objective of CMT hasnít changed throughout the years; to let us replay the Halo Campaign with more additions to it. The formula for CMT has always been to keep the main feel of Halo and to throw at us some new challenges and to change the story to what it should have been. This map is approx. 3 hours long for a gameplay (including the various times Masterz has died on the Legendary difficulty), and should be noted that in that 3 hours, there was not a single moment where I was not sucked into wanting more gameplay.

There are countless weapons to choose from to play in this level, ranging from the Assault Rifle to the new Covenant rifle, the amount of different weapon useless weapon combinations are endless. Each weapon serves a purpose and can easily be deadly in ideal situations. Usually in a Halo 1 play through, I usually have the combination of either the AR+Pistol or the Shotgun+Pistol seeing as they are pretty much the only useful weapons in the game. This mod brings the best out of weapons such as how the Brute plasma pistol can cause a deadly fire effect useful for taking out vehicles or large amounts of body. CMT definitely brought some new toys into the firefight this time with something similar to armor abilities. There are both passive (such as Halo 2 style health regeneration) and non-passive abilities such as sprinting. The mod definitely throws a curve ball at you when you encounter some really pissed off Hunters (with new animations and attacks). Favorite sequence was when Masterz walked into an area with grunts and elites only to be spotted; he quickly dispatched of them with his dmr before they could reach the ghost. Then as he proceeded to move turn left up the hill, you can see jackal shields everywhere. A red eerie light started to flare up, only to realize it was a sniper jackal scoping onto you. Every one is deadly. The map was intended to be completed in 3 hours, which does seem to be a bit too long for a single mission, however; I do believe that this choice was well made, as there never was a dull moment in the mod.

The graphics here are amazing. I have yet to see another use of Sauce to produce such high quality of work. Brush aside the placeholder models, and what you have are completely redesigned bipeds, beautifully crafted weapons and sequences of animations that appear to be ready to be sold in its own retail game. The quality of shaders enhances the models exponentially as they rival even the quality of Halo 3 shaders.

I would definitely replay this mod several times easily. Itís very easy to fall in love with the covenant weapons, especially since some of them do have conveniently placed recharge stations across the whole mission. As you progress through this level, you might want to pick up some of the bruteís cluster bombs and wreck havoc in small areas. I cannot emphasize enough how every weapon is effective. It does what couldnít be done in Halo 1 and makes every weapon both appealing to the user and actually give them a purpose.

This mod has blown my mind with what the Halo engine can truly do. I canít pick a favorite between the aesthetics, gameplay or the animations of the mod. Iíll be the first to admit that SPV2 was just Halo 1 with tags thrown together. This mod however will change the way you play. If you play aggressively and tend to burn through ammo quickly, try switching to a brute plasma pistol as they can be recharged. You love killing the enemies with their own weapons? Then grab the sprint ability and run up to wraith, hi-jack it, and use it to destroy every single living thing around you. My favorite ability is just the simple camouflage, great to use to flank the enemies or to sneak up to a ghost and hi-jack it. I look forward to getting my hands onto this mod and wrecking havoc against the Covenant and Flood (occasionally my own Marines).

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Feb 10, 2014 08:22 PM (Total replies: 12123)

I'm at least 3% sure Masterz didn't sell H3MT tags.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Retail Carbine, Spartan Laser and SMG Jan 18, 2012 09:53 AM (Total replies: 21)

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Learn to read.

Learn to:
a) Communicate more clearly
b) Not react so hostile
c) To have a happy new year, not a frowny one ;-)

Learn to not act like a prick? Whatever, the release of open sauce will adjust shaders slightly (since it didn't show speculars in fp on my version) so I'll upload updated shaders in a bit as well as copies for people without sauce.

also the glow showing up in fp can't be helped. If you were to add zoom to the Halo 1 Plasma pistol, you could see the charge as well. I'm not sure if it's becuase of the engine or fail tagging because I don't know much about effects.
Edited by HDoan on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:57 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Retail Carbine, Spartan Laser and SMG Jan 17, 2012 07:30 PM (Total replies: 21)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mangenkyo

From my understanding, it cannot be used because of the shader_model uses normal maps as well as specular. However, if I get time I'll just resave and reupload a version without the normals and specs.

why i can play the map then???
Edited by Mangenkyo on Jan 17, 2012 at 07:18 PM

tags require OS to compile through maps

Learn to read. The tags require it to compile, however you can still play.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Retail Carbine, Spartan Laser and SMG Jan 17, 2012 06:55 PM (Total replies: 21)

From my understanding, it cannot be used because of the shader_model uses normal maps as well as specular. However, if I get time I'll just resave and reupload a version without the normals and specs.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Retail Carbine, Spartan Laser and SMG Jan 16, 2012 08:09 PM (Total replies: 21)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yvdllgrcrghbnvu
Just extract from map. Note, tags require OS to compile through maps (from what I've heard from).
Had the intention to do most guns but pretty much burnt out.
Assets by Bungie, etc by me.

There also is a WIP brute shot that's barely been touched so if anyone wants to finish it then go ahead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6926BieMI&feature=plcp&context=C31b3fa5UDOEgsToPDskI55Psort7tw1UlGFFuz5EH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUjO9SaUJc&feature=plcp&context=C37c4f6dUDOEgsToPDskIXJVzbbWYS2LrujK2TVuho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg7QiSYmUA&feature=plcp&context=C33109abUDOEgsToPDskJaG-Zt3r_5xQb87aZ-3jg4

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 3, 2012 01:42 AM (Total replies: 14969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUjO9SaUJc&feature=youtu.be
Sounds by Bungie, recorded/cleaned by me
Textures by Bungie
HUD by me
Models by Bungie
Tagging by me
Effects by me and Bungie

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Dec 26, 2011 06:48 PM (Total replies: 14969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg7QiSYmUA&feature=youtu.be
Bungie- Model, Textures, Effect Bitmaps, Effects, Sounds
Me- Display & Meter Textures, Effects, HUD, Tagging, Shaders, Animations

Up for release soon.
Edited by HDoan on Dec 26, 2011 at 06:49 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Dec 13, 2011 09:10 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Less about your personal lives, more about the mod please.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Dec 13, 2011 08:18 PM (Total replies: 14969)

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Dec 12, 2011 09:01 PM (Total replies: 14969)

Quote: --- Original message by: Shockwave
I hope you know that you cant' import into Halo CE ^^
Whatever, pretty cool model !

Using it to bake onto a Lowpoly model

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Dec 11, 2011 08:09 PM (Total replies: 14969)

Time: Thu July 18, 2019 10:40 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website