A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Higuy
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 24, 2017 06:33 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
@lucasgovatos

Post Statistics
Higuy has contributed to 7718 posts out of 463333 total posts (1.67%) in 3,764 days (2.05 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Money Apr 24, 2017 06:33 PM (Total replies: 121)

Everyone in this community has always released everything for free, even if they may have worked extremely hard, for years, on projects.

What makes you think you should suddenly be able to when everyone else has willingly created content, applications, and improvements for free, simply because they wanted to? What makes you so special?

You should be more concerned about maybe releasing something for once that's worthwhile and you enjoyed making, rather then how much your going to get paid for doing so. Good chances are that even if you could, no one would buy it.

e: Let it also be clear that I am big for compensating's people's work, even if its a demo for example that they made for me on a project. I believe people should be paid for work they have done. But those projects are also commercial, and I am aiming to make money from them, even if it is something I enjoy creating and doing. However, I personally see modding as something of a pleasure, you do it because YOU want to, and not for other people, fame, or monetary value, especially Halo where its someone else's IP, with laid out rules. Even if its a huge company like Microsoft, its their product, and you must respect that.

Also, for arguments sake against your 'findings', Halo: CE falls under Microsofts Game Content Usage Rules, which is available here: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

If you bother to actually read it and decipher it, you'll learn that, no, you cannot make money off of it. You can ask for donations and it is perfectly legal, but again, why would you anyway in a modding community like Halo's, where everyone has done things for free and without asking for money.

If you really want to see how much of a disaster paid mod's have been in the past, just go check how Valve and Bethesda did the Skyrim paid mod disaster.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 24, 2017 at 06:42 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 11, 2017 11:07 AM (Total replies: 12)

Maya LT is decent for what you pay for. It's cheaper then almost every other decent 3d modeling program besides Blender, which is of course free.

I use it occasionally for working on my commercial project. I still like 3ds Max though, which is what I use more often, and its probably because I've used it for so long and much more proficient at using it. It's a lot more expensive though obviously, so currently I rent it on a 'as-need' basis and do a ton of modeling during that duration.

If you want to get stuff from Max to Maya LT, I suggest just exporting as FBX or another universal file format.

The reason autodesk products are so expensive is because they have a monopoly on the market and they know it, other applications like Blender (free) and Modo (much cheaper) still cant compete and simply (IMO) are not as fleshed out/easy to work with.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

You do all realise that that the whole "you cant use
Work made with this license or type of app with this other license or app" rule can be circumvented via an export and re-import.

And you have god to thank for that or the guy who invented obj's/fbx's/3ds's e.t.c
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

This is true, although some file formats of autodesks actually cache some of your information about your license and such inside the exports believe it or not. And you can bet that .max files do the same.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Mar 7, 2017 08:47 PM (Total replies: 11326)

Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E
Curious question for some of you older community vets.

What is the actual custom content to rehash/port ratio?

like mookz said it really depends on your definition of custom content and what constitutes as a rehash or port.

Halo CE General Discussion » Messing with Sky/Fog Feb 26, 2017 04:47 PM (Total replies: 11)

Just open up whatever sky tag your using and you can edit the fog settings there, along with different sky lighting colors. You'll need to rerun lightmaps on the BSP's though for the new lighting to be applied to the level.

Halo CE General Discussion » Post your Top 10 HCE mappers/modders Feb 18, 2017 06:09 PM (Total replies: 90)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
10. DarkHalo003
9. Jesse
8. Donut
7. ODX
6. UnevenElefant5
5. Maniac1000
4. Higuy
3. Super Flanker
2. Advancebo
1. Gamma927

oh wait thats just the post count list

why the hell do I have so many posts??

Heres my list:

10. PopeAK49
9. Lodex
8. MattDratt
7. il Duce Primo
6. Dennis Powers
5. Jackal Stomper
4. Conscars
3. Joshflighter
2. Sheer
1. Massacre

oh wait thats just people in no particular order that worked on or contributed to PROJECT LUMORIA
Edited by Higuy on Feb 18, 2017 at 06:14 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
You can thank yours truely for making this happen

"please clap"

Halo CE General Discussion » [PUBLIC BETA]: Dissolution Jan 2, 2017 05:16 PM (Total replies: 28)

Looks fantastic dude. Someone needs to put this up on a dedicated server so we can play!

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Can somebody explain why anytime someone makes something like this involving syncing it's not AI?

Is syncing the position and orientation of non-player bipeds that difficult? All that's needed is the pushing the biped's location and orientation from Host to Client. Everything else would be handled by host, you don't need to sync any of the actual AI. Just where it is and where it's facing.

Once that's synced proper, you duplicate the AI's weapon and there's a flag in the projectile, something like "Client Side Only". Done.

If it's more difficult than I seem to imagine can someone knowledgeable (002, sehe, btc22) please explain why?

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you need to know a lot more though then just position/orientation? It's an AI, so it acts on somewhat random circumstances... You need to know when its shooting too, crouching, dodging, etc. I think theres a lot more variables here that would need to be replicated between clients then just position, location and firing to get 'true AI'.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 28, 2016 01:37 PM (Total replies: 11326)

Quote: --- Original message by: darksoldier
Working on another structure.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/575066haloce2016122723332579.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/948510haloce2016122723335293.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/971773haloce2016122723340591.jpg

Don't pay atention to the lights everywhere. They are juste place holder

This stuff looks great! Are you going to make a custom hologram for the center part or add more onto it? Only ask bc the hologram has those little 4 side things that are "projecting" the hologram and look a bit odd without anything attached to them structure wise, imo.

Looks great though!!

Halo CE General Discussion » Time to vote! What were the best maps of 2016? Dec 17, 2016 10:31 PM (Total replies: 30)

wheres lumoria episode 3

also, I voted
Edited by Higuy on Dec 17, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » What's that block on the scorpion? Nov 27, 2016 08:14 PM (Total replies: 15)

Lol, seems like we all have different ideas. I always thought it was a sort of IR flare/smoke thing to mask movement of tank/infantry etc around it. Although obviously it does nothing ingame so I guess its up to your imagination.

Halo CE General Discussion » How do I make a game engine like blam? Nov 21, 2016 06:15 PM (Total replies: 156)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Alex
Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
But you see, that would be considered hard work which is absolutely unacceptable.

I can work hard if I have to. I really want to get into gamedev

Stop saying that and just

seriously. You really want to get into gamedev, then just start doing it. The only way to stop procrastination and other bad habits like that is by just starting something.

Start creating something, keep practicing and show off your work to your peers. Learn new skills and don't be afraid to try different approaches. You'll get better, but it'll take time.

Halo CE General Discussion » Im gonna be "that guy" Nov 5, 2016 09:03 AM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
If the tags are released, you don't *need* permission for anything, BUT... The quality of the sub-mod will be severely damaged if you do it without really knowing what you're getting into. as Lode said, without the documentation (and by essentially relying on rips), it will be nearly impossible to keep the gameplay and mod the same while using CMT weapons.

I think the worse part would be a CMT version being released and that version overshadowing the original due to 'omg h3/h4/reach weapons!!'. And yeah, the gameplay won't nearly be the same UNLESS it was just a reskin of the original. But that's just my opinion, anyway.

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Higuy is speaking for himself here.
No "official" blessing was ever given on behalf of the team, nor is it needed.

This may just be my opinion again here or bad memory, but Lumoria was always released with the intention of it being completely rippable/moddable, mostly so people could learn. But Like Lode said you're free to do what you want with the campaign, in fact I think it'd be cool to see some good mod's of it!

Edited by Higuy on Nov 5, 2016 at 09:06 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Im gonna be "that guy" Nov 4, 2016 06:46 AM (Total replies: 22)

We gave CMT our blessing to do that mod of Lumoria if they wanted. Our only request at the time was that they keep the gameplay the same. I believe we had some very major differences in terms of encounter design and gameplay, and that was our request to at least keep the gameplay somewhat faithful to the original.

In reality though you can do whatever you want.

Halo CE General Discussion » A more appropriate thread. Oct 29, 2016 10:52 PM (Total replies: 26)

Hey Pope, feel free to message me on skype/steam if you want to talk about it. I wish you and your family my deepest sympathy and support and hope your cousin makes it through.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Problems With the Halo CE Community Oct 1, 2016 05:36 PM (Total replies: 62)

Quote: --- Original message by: Lateksi
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
Good intent, too na´ve

This. I don't want to sound like a jerk but just try to stop taking things too seriously on Halo CE community forums. At least they're not as bad as the aforementioned Counter-Strike (communities) but then again, not as mature as the Quake community for example.

Maturity has always been an issue on this forum. When most of the user base is in their teens, its pretty obvious there is going to be some drama and immaturity going on. I'm not condoning it by any means, but its always been an issue here and pretty much will continue to be... like you said, at some point people just need to stop taking it seriously and get over it.

Halo CE General Discussion » 10 years Sep 5, 2016 11:54 AM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: XxPopeAK49xX
Extinction is 1 year older than Ancient Sanctuary. Time goes by fast aye?

^ definitely. Hard to believe its been so long.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Universal Interface Aug 23, 2016 05:27 PM (Total replies: 77)

Quote: --- Original message by: LuciTheAlien
Quote: --- Original message by: LuciTheAlien
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I confirm: FOV on vehicles was, I think, changed.

Too late to- unchange it?

You can always go in with the real time editor or HMT 3.5, and set it to whatever the default settings were.

Wouldn't it be better off for everyone if an official member on the team for the mod did that, then re-uploaded it? Therefore fixing that problem for everyone.

I imagine they made their decision to ship it that way because back then they felt the best experience was to change the FOV for everyone, since Open Sauce wasn't around then. I can't speak for them, but I imagine they don't want to update it and worsen the experience for people without open sauce. Plus they've moved on from CE.

Even if we wanted to I don't think Lode or I have any of the original files, so we'd be starting from whatever we can rip out of the maps. It's been almost 4 years guys!

But yes, we found it to be better with a larger FOV. We never intended for the campaign to be OS-compatible either - a pretty quick glitch most people can see if they have OS installed is the ending cutscene with May's helmet. Currently the best way to play it is to play it without OS.

You have an Intel Pentium processor at 1.8ghz and that list does not list your graphics card either.

Yes, you're going to get low performance unfortunately. And no, CE cannot use multi-core.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Bloodlock Aug 21, 2016 12:21 AM (Total replies: 45)

Always wondered what happened to this map, glad to see your still dabbling in some projects here

Time: Sat June 24, 2017 11:34 PM 782 ms.
A Halo Maps Website