A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: il Duce Primo
About Contact
Last Post: Oct 12, 2018 08:49 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
CMT Team Leader
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
il Duce Primo has contributed to 1709 posts out of 468070 total posts (.37%) in 4,231 days (.40 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Are the HaloMaps downloads going to update? Oct 12, 2018 08:49 PM (Total replies: 20)

Mostly everything to know has already been shared. The only thing that isnt always shared is peoples workflow on specific things but those arent important and mostly will differ between people and come with experience. Start watching tutorials and searching. If you have any questions speak up and ask. Don't just say no one helps you.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » gbxmodel importer problem Oct 6, 2018 11:02 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: Rhinox117
Try with 3ds max 8 or Lates, With Bluestreak plugin, Is the best option.

If you're going to use 3dsmax8 it is preferred to use Blitzkrieg which is an actual built in plugin rather than Bluestreak which is a side script.

Halo CE General Discussion » Error exporting my model Oct 6, 2018 10:51 PM (Total replies: 2)

One of the main benefits of using 3dsmax8 is for the Blitzkrieg exporter. Try using Blitzkrieg http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5195 .
Most likely you also have an issue with your bsp, probably too many triangles judging by hwo round those trees look. What is the tri count and can you show a wireframe picture.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 1.5 maps converted to CE Oct 2, 2018 09:14 PM (Total replies: 10)

Good work, nice to see these!
Do these have those dutch ports and those custom shaders you made from way back?

Halo CE General Discussion » compiling level too error Sep 15, 2018 11:42 PM (Total replies: 1)

Looks like you are not referencing a shader in your material editor. Or your bsp is referencing a shader called <none>, which isn't a valid name for a shader so it won't even automatically create a blank shader there. Either way you need to check your maps material ids and make sure your materials are properly named and applied.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] extracthalotagdefs Aug 30, 2018 06:29 PM (Total replies: 4)

Edited by il Duce Primo on Aug 30, 2018 at 06:32 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » All The .Map Files from hce.halomaps.org Aug 23, 2018 07:09 PM (Total replies: 17)

A few weeks ago he shut down his website, Probably couldn't pay the 20k upkeep costs on the golden wrapped server chassis.

Can you believe this guy? Apologizing for inconveniencing us by not hosting our precious halo images!

This thread should be one of thanking you for continuing providing the number 1 place to come for anything halo custom edition.

Thank you Dennis!

Halo CE General Discussion » MCC Bringing Halo CE maps to Xbox Aug 16, 2018 01:59 PM (Total replies: 17)

^You are 100% correct. No one in their right mind would go through the aggravation of releasing custom maps on mcc. There's really only one thing that may happen is maybe the gearbox made maps get converted over. The only way to get custom maps on mcc is if they set up a system for the community to create and upload mcc maps. But even saying this makes me laugh because its so out there.

Halo CE General Discussion » Best 3ds max version for halo ce Aug 14, 2018 07:51 PM (Total replies: 12)

If you already have the latest version of max then thatll work more than enough.

Halo CE General Discussion » Best 3ds max version for halo ce Aug 14, 2018 06:28 PM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Everyone needs to stop telling people that they should use max 8. Max 8 depends on a deprecated Windows API for it's max script, so they won't all work properly. You also can't use some newer scripts and plugins, rendering is broken on windows 7 and up. Don't use max 8. If you want to go old school, use 9. But I suggest using a newer version personally.

Best version of 3dsmax for developing for halo CE is.... 3dsmax8. What newer scripts do you use that are necessary for making halo ce stuff, and why would rendering help for halo ce?

The reason why version 8 is the best for Halo ce is the main built in exporter and most tools designed for halo support max 8. Most of the things in the newer version of max are nice in developing for other games but have little to no use for halo development. A possible problem might be if you're using the newest version of windows, but i think that has been resolved and is no longer an issue.

Halo CE General Discussion » How about an INTERIOR level/bsp tutorial? Jul 6, 2018 12:41 AM (Total replies: 23)

sounds like your portal material is setup wrong. Try compiling the bsp without the portals

Halo CE General Discussion » How about an INTERIOR level/bsp tutorial? Jul 3, 2018 07:10 PM (Total replies: 23)

post the debug that tool spits out. Also a screenshot of your model with the wrl imported also can help.

no you suck

What is this? A description would be very helpful.

Halo CE General Discussion » Dreamweb 2 (Monthly Tag Releases) May 26, 2018 08:24 PM (Total replies: 88)

Yes, thats the latest iteration of Tension by Arteen. Arteen has many unreleased projects and this iteration called "Intensity" is one of them.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Xbox and Halo PC Apr 24, 2018 02:51 PM (Total replies: 4)

Gearbox also took creative liberties and changed a list of things on the stock maps. An easy example would be they removed the lip in the center pit on Hangemhigh.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Bluestreak Trouble Apr 3, 2018 10:50 PM (Total replies: 3)

Use Blitzkrieg as your exporter. It's a much better exporter than Bluestreak. Bluestreak is a half assed script that is suppose to try and replicate Blitzkrieg but for later versions of max. One of the main benefits of using Max 8 is the capability of using Blitzkrieg. Download it here: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5195

Halo CE General Discussion » 3dsmax 2019 Apr 3, 2018 07:59 AM (Total replies: 12)

3dsmax8 or go home

In this devblog I discuss the art pass on Platoe.

So when I left off on Platoe the levels overal layout was taking shape and it looked like this.

When blocking out a level its always good to have two main textures, one for the floor and another generic that covers everything else. This is great for aiding the player to see the playable space during testing. So I started out knowing I was going to be doing a human level originally planning to do something more like the engine room from the Maw because it has all sorts of cool fancy shaders, but then noticed the resemblance of the overall shape to Boardingaction. It then was obvious that Boardingaction theme would be the most fitting.

First thing was then to rip Boardingaction's BSP and examine it for what its style consists of.

BoardingAction is a very simple level compared to others where it mainly consists of four generic textures I used for large massing the level. The floors use a generic metal, the walls use the POA exterior paneling, the ceilings use steel, and some walls used panel strips. After I box uved most of the level I then looked for modular details within Boardingaction. The parts I saw was the doorway frame and the ladder. For me to easily add the ladder geometry and other geometry I stretched out Platoe vertically to line up the floor elevations with Boardingaction. This change impacts the overall design and I decided that the increased verticality was good but there are some negative side effects I'll need to address.

At this stage I was able to get those doorways and ladders along with some caution strips into the level. I then copied around beveled squares in each of the room section that helped bring the same look from Boardingaction and at the same time creating a nice platform for netgame equipment.

Here I finished most of the visuals, I ended up adding the light fixtures, the teleportal geometry, and also the POA to panel strip detail. Most of this geometry was floating geometry that was render only in order to reduce triangulation for Boardingaction's already high try count. I decided that the map was plenty optimized unlike Boardingaction so I can afford to spend the extra triangles and make everything attached to the model and have proper collision. Then, I quickly added some basic exact portals seen in the image below.

Something to note about creating exact portals. The edges of exact portals do not need to line up exactly with an edge the main level as long as the portal geometry completely seals and does not intersect the main level geometry. Here is a better image to help explain what I mean.

Here you can see not all the corners of the exact portal line up with vertices in the map geometry. The reason this works is that the portal seals off that space and does not intersect the main geometry.

And here is the end of the art pass concluding with adding in ceiling lights taken from the engine room.

This is the stage I'm at now with my BSP and going forward I plan on addressing issues that have became more apparent with playtesting. Two major changes are relocating the teleporter-from teleporter to the first floor from the second floor. The current location of the teleporter is already on the route to getting up to the top and can be relocated to the first floor to stir up the bottom floor's stale movement. The second change is to relocate the dropdown located on the third floor that drops to the second floor. The reason for changing the location of that dropdown is that the drops onto the ramp which is slightly lower than the second floor and is within the height of causing fall damage. This fall damage is causing this dropdown to adversely affect players movement when using it.

I'm going to end this blog here and next time I'll go over older maps I worked on as I release their data files. The reason I'm able to go back and take pictures like these is because as I work im constantly saving as a new file. For example I used "platoe_01.max" and then "platoe_02.max" this allows me to make quick changes and if I do not like my change I can easily revert back to a previous version.

If you liked reading this blog check out devblog #1: Designing a Map - Platoe
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50696

Also check out my previous 2 maps

Overflow: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50461
Surfsup: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50679

In addition if you're interested in playing competitive 2vs2 games please feel free to message me here for more information.

Time: Tue November 20, 2018 9:41 AM 438 ms.
A Halo Maps Website