A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: slashrat
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 9, 2017 03:16 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 24
What Games do you play: Halo 1, Halo CE, Halo 3, Half-life series
TSC:E Environment Art Lead
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
slashrat has contributed to 382 posts out of 464283 total posts (.08%) in 4,452 days (.09 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: GirtheDoge
I have no idea what is wrong and I don't know how to fix this. I looked at the description of the CMT TSC Evolved MAP download page and I found out that HEK does corrupt files when extracting .yelo maps. Is there any alternative for HEK+ and how do I add CMT's tags to Sapien? Please Help. :(

You're using OS_Sapien, right? And I take it your extraction using HEK+ was primarily for the Spv3 level you want to put the Evolved tags into? Because those two tagsets don't work well together, so you'll have to be very careful not to mix them if possible.

A very good rundown of how to get things working can be found here:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48362

I would start by trying to get the original Evolved scenario and tags working using the public releases here- the nexus mod post was done by someone outside our team and I don't know if everything there is the final version:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=47823&start=1

If they open right in OS_Sapien then you know the tagset is correct. From there you can try adding them into your own scenarios. Best of luck!

Edit: Looks like you have another thread where you got further, but the above is still probably good advice.
Edited by slashrat on Aug 9, 2017 at 03:17 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » OpenSauce DLM Rendering Times? Nov 22, 2016 02:06 PM (Total replies: 5)

Our lightmaps for TSC:E also had upwards of 12k lights in some areas, so 3ds max would have to reread all the lights every time it loaded a new lightmap before the actual render process started. That my itself slowed us down considerably.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
I think that .yelo maps can't be featured as they are uploaded to the archive untested.
This.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Chagrined edit: I blame Ifafudafi, he jokingly told me to ask about the featured part and I took it as an actual suggestion haha.

I also included one last hint at an easter egg since nobody here has found it. Good luck!

Edited by slashrat on Mar 3, 2016 at 06:24 PM

Happy "we released the mod a year ago" day

Dennis why didn't you feature our map

Halo CE General Discussion » i want to load the texture of b30:E Aug 8, 2015 03:56 PM (Total replies: 1)

Quote: --- Original message by: Perla117
I did not understand where i have to put the texture (path)

Almost all of our .max source files store their images using *relative paths* instead of absolute paths. This was so we could easily send source files among members and not have to constantly re-reference textures. You will need a \data\ directory with CMT textures in it to your 3ds max image paths in order to load textures for these files.

someone can help me?
Thanks.

Here you go:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-1DAA53B9-4B58-49C6-A1BA-D6E533396A63-htm.html

Hit the "add" button on the user path window, then select the data directory manually. That should theoretically reconnect the bitmaps.
Edited by slashrat on Aug 8, 2015 at 03:56 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Anybody got a material test scenario? Jul 30, 2015 03:56 PM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz

Thanks, though unfortunately, that tool appears to be converting a BSP to a model, rather than extracting a BSP from a map.

I believe the proper term is... ripping? ;)

E: Trying HEK+.
Edited by t3h m00kz on Jul 30, 2015 at 03:43 PM

Yeah, was going to point you at HEK+, which is the only real extraction tool I know of, even if sometimes it does odd things to a tagset (avoid overwriting stock tags unless you're certain you want to do that). While you could in theory rip TSC:E using HEK+, we released the tagset directly to avoid any potential extraction issues.
Edited by slashrat on Jul 30, 2015 at 03:56 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Anybody got a material test scenario? Jul 30, 2015 03:04 PM (Total replies: 11)

Ohh sweet. Would have helped if I had actually read the readme. Been in a bit of a rush this morning :)

I'm downloading SP tags now and will give it a go.

Any BSP extraction tips would still be nice, I honestly prefer the design of MegaSean's link. It covers slopes, walls, ceilings and floors and has the name of the materials right on the geo, which is extremely convenient.

Here you go:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2029

Halo CE General Discussion » Anybody got a material test scenario? Jul 30, 2015 02:48 PM (Total replies: 11)

It looks like it's attempting to reference a ton of tags that don't exist. They weren't included in the core tagset download. (tags\characters\marine_armored\bitmaps\marine_helmet_hires.bitmap, tags\characters\marine\bitmaps\face_chris.bitmap, etc)

I'm probably better of building my own.

Thanks though, it was a solid suggestion.
Edited by t3h m00kz on Jul 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

You need all the singleplayer tags from the original game as well, which are not included in the CMT tag release.

From the readme on the tag release:
Quote: You will need a functional tagset extracted from the stock game and all of its singleplayer maps. You will also need Open Sauce version 4.0 or later. Other than that you should be able to drop the \cmt\ directory into your \tags\ directory and everything should just work.

There are some extracted sets on halomaps, here's one that appears to have fixed some of the common HEK+ extraction bugs:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6690
Edited by slashrat on Jul 30, 2015 at 02:49 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
All I found were a few spelling mistakes. :( Hints?

If by "spelling mistakes" you mean Noble difficulty, that was intentional. As for hints, I already told you it exists, that's as much as you get :D

Wouldn't you incur some trouble with those before/after images???

True, but that's the only interactive part I believe, aside from the clickable table of contents. The rest is just still images.

Also fun fact: There's a small easter egg hidden somewhere in the TSC:E manual, and nobody has found it yet :D

Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343
This is something I've heard for the team as a whole, but not from a lot of the individual members... I understand you're done with CMT-related projects for good, but are you leaving the community for good, as well? Are y'all still thinking about coming back occasionally at least (i.e. -when CMT releases the rest of SPV3, when CE3 is on, etc), or will this pretty much be the last time we'll all hear from you all?
Edited by renegade343 on Jul 16, 2015 at 04:20 PM

The core TSCE members, Lag, Iffy, Bob and I, will not be returning to Halo modding in any form or capacity. We may keep an eye on things here for a while, but we won't be doing any active work or interacting with Masterz's SPv3 project.

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I kind of want to print that PDF and read it over my toilet breaks.

Haha, nothing stopping you except for the absurd amount of blue ink that would take. The PDF is pretty high-res, so in theory it should print decently. (Note, this means you can zoom in on most of the pictures without them getting too blurry!)

It's really great to see people enjoying the pdf and video. I offer my own thanks to all of you for waiting so long for TSC:E, and for taking the time to read through all our thoughts and experiences. This postmortem is my closure for the project, and I'd like to think that (in addition to prompting a fair number of "oh I thought we were done" comments) it has also helped bring closure to the rest of the team. Good luck to everyone, and keep spreading the Word of TSC:E!

I noticed that the guy/s incharge of "bsp'ing" implemented the use of "seamsealer" surfaces/materials in a few of your bsps, especially the outdoorsy ones - was there a specific reason for this?
Edited by SS Flanker on Jun 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM

As I remember it was just an easy way to seal far off areas in a way that didn't block the skybox or anything else. Seamsealer is fully transparent in game. For interiors I usually just sealed it with a "black hole" shader, such as behind fake doors, or at bsp transitions. There might be some seamsealer in the sec-servers --> cave transition due to its unusual shape, not sure.

That being said, I think Lag just started using it in the exteriors and I picked up the habit. The only benefits as far as I know are the transparency and maybe a prevention of the seam geometry featuring into portal calculations. I'm not certain about that last one though.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Quote: --- Original message by: khoatran

Will the Open Source be upgrade in the future :( ?
Edited by khoatran on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:52 PM

Probably not. They just put out a new OS and honestly I dont think anyone who can wants to work on it anymore.

It's really up to FireScythe. Kornman has largely moved on, but supports FireScythe when he can. But since most of the features in the newest OS were meant to help out TSC:E, I can't say one way or another if FS will continue to update the program.

Quote: --- Original message by: beaucephal
Quote: --- Original message by: slashrat
It's not a config issue, don't worry, this is a portal issue that I was unable to fully chase away.

Ahh dang. Well still, some of the other stuff you managed to wrangle out of the BSP was goddamn incredible. I still feel pretty privileged getting to watch it all come together.

Quote: --- Original message by: beaucephal
Quote: --- Original message by: khoatran
I found a pow bug outside security room :/
http://i.imgur.com/DZY0BvN.png

Opensauce has a vastly expanded upper polygon limit over regular Halo. I've played through that area of the game extensively whilst testing the map for Lag and the crew, and I've never seen that before, so I'm taking a guess that it's your Opensauce config. Try going into your Opensauce settings file (by default My Documents\My Games\Halo CE\OpenSauce\OS_Settings.User.xml), and make sure that 'upgrades DynamicTriangles' is set to True.

If you've tried that and still no dice, then I'm not sure what else to suggest, but know that the guys working on this map were pushing way beyond the limits of the engine, so these things can, unfortunately, happen occasionally.

It's not a config issue, don't worry, this is a portal issue that I was unable to fully chase away. I tried, believe me. However, even with the OS polygon upgrades there was only so much we could do in extremely high-poly areas like the security pit. Thankfully not many players wander over into that part of the pit, so most never notice. In fact I didn't even notice this one until after release when we started seeing pictures of the error. Ah well. Compared to the unbelievable mess that I had to deal with initially, this runs pretty darn smoothly.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to light an indoor map? May 31, 2015 06:03 PM (Total replies: 22)

How would one run full radiosity of a map within tool?

And apart from 0 0.9 is there an even faster stop thresh hold value which yields acceptable results.

Tool's lightmap command is:
tool.exe lightmaps <scenario> <bsp index> <quality> <stop threshold>

An example could be:
tool.exe lightmaps levels\test\mapname 1 0 0.1

You can tell tool to stop running lightmaps at values higher than 0.9, but it depends on the map. A map with only one light might start at something like 0.5, so a value of 0.9 might make it not do much at all. However a map with a lot of lights might take a while to reach 0.9, so you could tell it to stop at a higher number, like 1 or 1.5. See what the first number is that appears when you start a full quality_0 pass, and use that as your starting number. I suggest using something a little bit lower than the starting number just to be safe and make sure you get full lightmap uvs, such as picking 0.9 if the starting number is 1.0.
Edited by slashrat on May 31, 2015 at 06:03 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to light an indoor map? May 29, 2015 08:19 PM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark
What about the model for the light? just a plane? then I can make it into a lighting device?

Here is how the HEK tutorial does plane lights; most advanced Forerunner lighting is merely complex versions of the same concept, render-only planes floating a little above (or below) the geometry.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to light an indoor map? May 29, 2015 07:48 PM (Total replies: 22)

It doesn't take that long to render radiosity in tool, however it isn't the best quality even with 1 in tool, so it's better to do it in sapien for a final run. It isn't that bad, besides, who wants to have lights all over there map that make it look awful? Unless there is a way to make the lights completely invisible, which I do not know of.

Sapien and tool should have the exact same result from a radiosity 1, but certainly tool is a fickle program, and it's possible it could look slightly different. I believe tool runs it faster however.

If you want an invisible light you just use a transparent one pixel bitmap and have the shader still emit light in the radiosity settings. Bungie has quite a few invisible lights in their levels, a lot of the lighting is faked using hovering planes to simulate more accurate detail. The "shafted" cutscene in the original Silent Cartographer is one example: There is an invisible blue light plane above the platform, since otherwise that would be totally dark.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to light an indoor map? May 29, 2015 05:57 PM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: rododoonceagain

DEAR GOD DO NOT USE THE RADIOSITY PROPERTIES IN SHADERS UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Seriously, guys. Rendering lightmaps with many of lit shaders takes forever. Use light fixtures, or sceneries\devices with non-dynamic light attached to them (basically, create a new scenery and attach a light to it in the "attachments" section. Then, make sure that the "dynamic" flag in the light attached is not checked, and set the radious\shape\settings\lens flares of your light).
Then, open your scenario in Sapien and type "radiosity_quality 1" and then type "radiosity_start". When it's over, type "radiosity_save" and you're good to go.
Seriously, guys, devices lightsy work just as good as shaders light, but seemingly take a tenth of the time to render.

Anyway, if you really want to get through this (there is really no reason to, though) go to levels\a10\shaders and take a look at the various shaders used (such as "light", "halogen on" and so on) to see how should you set it to work. There are some in c10 as well, among the various shader transparent chicago (basically, developers created planes to which they gave this shader, invisible, with a very low light power to create low illumination for dark exteriors).

SOURCE: me; when trying to light a50_A with the default settings, it took an afternoon. When I took away the lit shaders and changed them with light devices, along with a couple of other tweaks, it took a quarter of hour. A QUARTER OF HOUR.
Edited by rododoonceagain on May 29, 2015 at 04:51 PM

Most of Halo 1 was lit with radiosity shader properties, supplemented by light fixtures when needed (such as the Forerunner sconces or the Covenant ceiling lights in a50). The more faces emitting light, of course the longer it will take, which is why interior bsps with a lot of shader lights will take ages to run a full radiosity. If you want to run a draft pass just type "radiosity_quality 0", and that should decrease the radiosity time. For a "final" quality radiosity pass you can use "radiosity_quality 1" before typing "radiosity_start".

Note: Radiosity 1 takes FOREVER to run. For TSC:E we rarely if ever ran radiosity 1 passes, only when we knew we needed it to look good for a test or for final lightmap uvs for Aether/dlm work.

I can't say why the light devices took less time to run radiosity, but probably because you removed many many more shader faces than you added devices to relight the level.

Aether is certainly an option, but that's some fairly advanced stuff for someone just starting out.

S12Spark, I would definitely look at the materials section and the tutorial in the hektutorial file included with the HEK installation. It might not cover everything but it definitely goes over how to light a map, at least in the basic sense.

Why not just apply the textures on the map normally, and change the radiosity properties in the shaders?

The ! is to tell the game not to consider the light surface as having collision. Otherwise any floating light planes would receive errors in tool, since they are not sealed. You can in theory have a collision material that gives off light, but you would have to make sure all the edges were sealed, so it couldn't be a typical floating light.
Edited by slashrat on May 29, 2015 at 07:15 PM

Time: Tue October 17, 2017 3:37 AM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website