A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Enzo03
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 10, 2012 11:20 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 20
What Games do you play: HaloCE, Descent, Air Rivals, GTA, Marathon, Sauerbraten, F.E.A.R., Powerdrome
I'd rather go without than take what you'd bring.
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Enzo03 has contributed to 1285 posts out of 463750 total posts (.28%) in 3,648 days (.35 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » 3D Jul 10, 2012 11:20 PM (Total replies: 10)

Detail object collections was how it was done in Halo 1 level 2, where if you head toward the waterfall you can see some blades of grass sticking up here and there (as well as with other places too). But you can't have a lot of them in a small area. The game doesn't like that.

Unless OS fixes that or allows a better workaround or, or, or something. I'm not quite up to speed with OS since, well, when I was last here it was a brand spanking new thing.

Halo CE General Discussion » Core [WIP] Jul 10, 2012 11:01 PM (Total replies: 537)

After a long break from this community, I look at this map and all I can say is..

wow.

Keep this up. I haven't seen stuff this good in a long time.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Destructible Vehicles Jan 26, 2011 01:15 PM (Total replies: 3)

It might work if it's like a vehicle that destroys itself when a player dies.. even that doesn't sync all the time though. That way would require scripting, too.

As for anything else, like just shooting a vehicle until it explodes, you do need health but there are also several other things you need, such as a destroyed vehicle model, death effects, etc.

I forgot how to set it up. It's been too long.
Edited by Enzo03 on Jan 26, 2011 at 01:17 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Multipurpose maps? Jan 26, 2011 01:08 PM (Total replies: 15)

Yes, alpha channels help determine where the color changes, but I would like to elaborate:
Alpha modulates color change by how much white there is in a pixel of the texture.
Areas where the alpha is white will have full color change, or at least as much as much as the blue/red channels allow. Black will have no color change. Grey will have color change in between white and black.

Now what does the blue and red channels have to do with it? I really have no idea! For some reason though, having full red or full blue on your multipurpose doesn't make the diffuse texture look as good when colored. A good multipurpose will not have solid blue, red, or purple. As for green, if you want areas with full glow then you will need the full green in those areas, but to make it look like an area which glows, you should smooth the edges of the green.

A cool thing you can do is take either a bump map or a displacement map and apply it to your multipurpose (NOT YOUR DIFFUSE), and ingame the model will sorta look bump-mapped.
Here's an old example of mine that uses these tips:

Here's the original tag:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3204

Custom cube maps help as well, and my shaders used some.
Edited by Enzo03 on Jan 26, 2011 at 01:11 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Project Epsilon Release Oct 27, 2010 04:55 PM (Total replies: 114)

ehhh Actually Halo 1's pistol was accidentally made overpowered as a result of a last-minute change. This was pretty much fixed in later games by making the pistol more of a weapon to throw away, although I thought H2's pistol wasn't too bad as long as your foe had his shields down.

The only change I would have done with the H1 pistol is to leave it as powered and accurate as it is, but reduce firing rate and make it semi-auto. I think the fact that the pistol's rounds are explosive-tipped justifies its inhumanely powerful damage, but the firing rate for such a huge pistol is a bit over the top..

Then again, pistols in most "realistic" shooters are pretty powerful in multiplayer.
Then AGAIN, Halo is closer to the classic run n gun and kill absolutely everything shooters (such as Marathon, Unreal, Quake, and Doom) than it is to a realistic, modern combat shooter... in the older shooters, pistols were a weapon of last resort which were meant to be replaced as soon as possible due to meager damage..
Edited by Enzo03 on Oct 27, 2010 at 04:56 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [ Survey ] How many people actually BSP model? Oct 25, 2010 02:18 PM (Total replies: 72)

I BSP modeled but I have never released a map.
I could definitely do it but especially now I am extremely hard pressed for time. College life is rough. Right now I'm taking a mental health break from my physics lab report which is a good 8 pages long right now. I have a couple of map designs but I never have gotten them even close to being ingame. My best bet is this new project I'm starting on but right now it's only half done and on pencil and paper, and it's been that way for a good week and a half because I've been so busy. I never plan on releasing a box map or a map that is heightmap only. But this may also mean that I may not actually ever release a map, at least not any time soon.

Halo CE "mancannons" are the result of explosion damage effects, and they tend to be extremely erratic. Take the map z_coagulation_h2_pb1 for example. The gravity lift in the bases almost never worked correctly, sometimes failing even when you were the host. That's why it was changed to a form of teleporter in pb2. My personal favorite was getting a warthog stuck in there.

You'd have to play those maps online on someone else's server in order to really know why everyone says they don't work.

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Oct 22, 2010 02:35 AM (Total replies: 4973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
except they wont roll around in halo ce because of physics limitations.

Vehicles roll.

not perfectly.

well it doesn't have to perfectly. and I thought they can roll because look at the hog how it will sometimes tumble along the ground. Like you said though, I will grant i,t it doesn't roll very well.

See above post...
It rolls...

A ball shaped object isn't a warthog.
It would not roll very well.

It will still roll...

EDIT: Bo's fault.
Edited by Skidrow925 on Oct 21, 2010 at 09:42 PM

I'm loving this argument. Because we all know that whether or not a not-so round vehicle such as a Warthog or Shade Turret will roll well, if at all is the most important topic of discussion in a vehicle WIP thread. Without this discussion, the fate of vehicle modding in halo maps will be doomed to uncertainty.

But it's not like pointless arguments are anything new.
As far as vehicles rolling in Halo CE, they will roll about as well as they would in real life, given their physics are set up correctly. You're not going to be able to simply tip over a scorpion tank and send it rolling down a hill like a ball because Halo's physics as well as real life physics do not allow for a battle tank to roll like a ball down a hill unless a lot of force is applied. That being said, it is possible to get one to roll, but only under stupidly insane circumstances. A hog probably rolls better than any other vehicle in the game. Sometimes all you have to do is turn sideways while on a slope so that it tips over and goes down the hill. Oh look, it rolls quite well.

Halo CE General Discussion » -TM Mapping Team's "Project Lumoria"- Oct 21, 2010 09:11 PM (Total replies: 884)

Then gather up all your moxie and ask anyway.

Halo CE General Discussion » What's your favorite map Oct 20, 2010 11:06 PM (Total replies: 19)

I can't narrow it down to a single fave.
Some of my favorites are:

chaosgulch (original, sue me)
H2 New Mombasa (the old level "inspired" by the trailer.)
z_sanctuary_h2_pb2
z_coagulation_h2_pb2
H2 Zanzibar (pretty much any version with balanced weapons)
Coldsnap (sue me)
Immure
No Remorse
Chronopolis (the original, by Jahrain, not the crappy mod with vehicles made of dirt that somehow don't sync)
Downflow
Hugeass (sue me again)
Helix Canyon
CMT Snow Grove
Grove Final
Portent
Yoyorast Island (the original)
Prime (T3 or C3 I don't care which)
Mystic (either version as long as its by Jahrain)
Eh, others, but I can't be bothered to remember them now.
Edited by Enzo03 on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Edited by Enzo03 on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Halo:ce or Halo:pc Texmod Oct 20, 2010 07:43 PM (Total replies: 793)

That'd be nice.
You could then put it as a mega texture pack after everything's done.

By the way, I don't really care much for the grated floor texture. I think it's too much of a change from the feel of the ship, tbqh.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » can explosions push Air Vehicles around? Oct 20, 2010 07:41 PM (Total replies: 13)

Maybe the mass of the pelican is high enough that a mythos shot doesn't affect it?
Because if you're in anything as light as a scorpion tank and get hit by the mythos cannon, both you and the tank will hit high orbit.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » energy shields as barriers Oct 20, 2010 01:24 AM (Total replies: 9)

The problem with both of those is that neither truly sync online. The reason that shields usually work well online is because shots DO sync online, so for the most part, the shields turn on and off when they are supposed to. They can badly desync, though.
Since they do turn back on, these shields usually aren't a problem.

Vehicles are even worse. When someone joins, for each "destroyed" vehicle there will be a completely intact vehicle. Sometimes these lead to crashes, as seen often on the old H2_Coagulation map.

Now if this is single player, by all means go crazy and make fantastic effects.
And I think it is possible to make it so that hitting a shield with a vehicle won't kill it, but I have never bothered to mess with it because without something such as open sauce or another external program, it's not worth the effort to get it working acceptably in multiplayer.

Actually when I was bump-possessed, I wasn't able to control myself.

Also, I was able to successfully bump possess a biped and clients whom were currently in the game could see the change, but clients who joined after could not.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Oct 19, 2010 12:13 AM (Total replies: 14960)

Eh... In Halo 2, it's not battery powered. You actually load rounds into it in the form of fuel rods.
as it is, the reload for the "anti-air" fuel rod cannon in Downflow is more accurate to the H2 fuel rod cannon's reload than yours is.

Besides, pulling out fuel rods would probably fry your balls off... after burning off your arm, torso, and hips :)

..and that's given that you don't accidentally handle the fuel rods hard enough to make them explode in your face.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official WIP thread Oct 18, 2010 11:23 PM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
The other one was getting old and no one was posting in it... Oh, and it disappeared.
Edited by Dwood on Oct 18, 2010 at 07:57 PM

You mean http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=30343 disappeared?
I totally can't find it!

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Oct 18, 2010 04:50 PM (Total replies: 14960)

Quote: --- Original message by: AGLion

meh, i couldn't figure out an original way to do the AK-47 so I went back into Halo territory.

does anybody know how i would color the arms? i figure that's what the multipurpose map is for, but i'm not sure.
Edited by AGLion on Oct 16, 2010 at 05:37 PM

Yeah that is exactly what the multipurpose map is for.
As far as the angle of the gun, it's too far in. You do not want the tip of the barrel to be in the center of the screen, even if the gun were as long as the sniper rifle. You need to make the gun point straight ahead and when you render it or look at it, bear in mind that the FOV of Halo PC/CE is 70 degrees (I originally said 90. I was wrong and fixed it).
And yes, it is boxy. I'd also suggest you try modeling in some of the details on the sides and put a little screen over the numbers. It was like that in Halo 2 (unsure about 3) and z_coagulation/sanctuary and it would give it the effect of looking more real because you'd see a faint reflection over them. Take a digital clock or watch for example. The screen thing isn't important though.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Oh good day mate, I'm afraid I can't because there is no point tbqh.

I could if there was a point. Did you think you owned me for a second then? lol.
Shut up.

Very well deserved.
Edited by Enzo03 on Oct 18, 2010 at 05:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Discussion] What would you do if ur a grunt? Oct 18, 2010 04:24 PM (Total replies: 27)

I would beg not to be killed because I have wife and kid:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/IastarothI/gruntlol.png

Halo CE General Discussion » -TM Mapping Team's "Project Lumoria"- Oct 18, 2010 01:29 PM (Total replies: 884)

Quote: --- Original message by: dood
Hey just asking,Will u guys be Redoing the shader for the halo 1 weapon?

Who knows, although I'd appreciate if they would give the Assault Rifle back its multipurpose and cubemap like it had in the Xbox version of Halo. There really wasn't a good reason for it to be removed and since the multipurpose is on Halomaps somewhere, it'd be a good idea (I assume the cubemap was the same as for the shotgun).
The flag also suffers from this, but as these are single player maps...

Halo CE General Discussion » -TM Mapping Team's "Project Lumoria"- Oct 18, 2010 01:49 AM (Total replies: 884)

I see there's still at least something that's completely totally awesome. Lets just hope this doesn't get a bunch of stupid fanboys and drama and crap. This project is too perfect.

Time: Fri July 28, 2017 2:39 AM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website