A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Polamee
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 20, 2014 05:17 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
MP2SPMT's founder

Post Statistics
Polamee has contributed to 1307 posts out of 469493 total posts (.28%) in 4,303 days (.30 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Halo Custom edition game engine limits? Jan 20, 2014 05:17 AM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: Hell_Jumper_056
so with the random range command your telling it to randomly pick which ever bots you choose? ill have to test this out.

No, the random range command in a script selects a value randomly between an upper and lower bound. For example,

(sleep (random_range 500 900 )) 

...would choose an arbitrary period between 500 units and 900 units to pause the script. Hence, its possible to make the AI spawn dependent on the random value. Not sure exactly how its done, because you can't reference the value created by a random_range command in another script, but maybe Kirby can set some light.

I thought of an alternative but somewhat more unwieldy way this can be done. You could script a global short that adds 1 to itself every now and then, and resets itself when it reaches 0. For example,

(global short ai_encounter) 

(script continuous blahblah
(set ai_encounter (+ ai_encounter 1)
)

(script continuous reset
(if (=10 ai_encounter)
(set ai_encounter 0)
))

Then you could have a separate set of scripts that spawn a unique encounter based on the value of the variable "ai_encounter" at the time. For example,

(script startup spawn_ai_1 
(sleep_until (volume_test_objects aispawn (players))15)
(if (= 0 ai_encounter)
(ai_place alternative_encounter_0)
) )

...etc. Repeat for all values of the variable.

Alternatively, you could just choose to have more spawn points, that works too.

Quote: --- Original message by: Hell_Jumper_056

4. In the campaign all of the enemies spawn when you enter the next area. Is there a way to have them spawn when they come into view without creating a new section?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you're implying that AI spawn whenever you enter a new BSP. That's not true, in campaign levels there are all kinds of triggers that cause AI to spawn (e.g trigger volumes, the health status of other encounters etc). You can make AI spawn on virtually any condition. So yeah, hope it answers your question.
Edited by Polamee on Jan 20, 2014 at 05:18 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Firefight Portent II Official Thread Feb 6, 2013 08:45 AM (Total replies: 443)

Haha I remember this when it was released; groundbreaking stuff.

Out of interest, does the second image show an overhaul of a UI which integrates the credits system, or is it an in-game pause menu?

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE Sword Fighting concept Aug 22, 2012 07:12 AM (Total replies: 8)

I decided to revisit CE for a while, and discovered a concept map with interesting potential I made in 2010. Basically it pits a couple of sword wielding elites against the player who's also equipped with a sword.

The video speaks for itself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4muY6dIQKus

Halo CE General Discussion » Defense of Red Base Dec 7, 2011 10:23 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
change the marines rate of fire to 0, and they'll hold off much longer, trust me.

That makes them fire way too unrealistically fast and way too erratically. For this I modified certain values in the burst geometry to make them more precise/preserve realism.

Halo CE General Discussion » Defense of Red Base Dec 7, 2011 04:26 AM (Total replies: 5)

While sifting through my maps earlier today, I came across a project I had undertaken back in '09. It consists of Marines, aided by occasional reinforcements, guarding a heavily fortified Blood Gulch base from continuous Covenant assault. It was initially supposed to showcase and test the resiliency of Marine AI as well as Elefant's MAKO Drones, but now I realize it makes for quite an entertaining battle.

Anyway, here's the first 3 or so minutes of the level, the Marines do eventually get overrun but that's after a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jC7UPJh6q4
Edited by Polamee on Dec 7, 2011 at 04:26 AM

So I ventured into the forum for the first time in like several weeks, and I clicked on this since it was the first thread, then so my post as the first reply, then was like "WHO HAS BEEN USING MY ACCOUNT". Then I saw the dates -.-

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Scripting issue I've run into Aug 28, 2011 10:11 AM (Total replies: 6)

(vehicle_test_seat [vehicle] [string] [unit name])

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » How to shorten a script. Aug 27, 2011 05:33 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Its best if you keep repeating commands and such. If you had provided a script where it had looped like 8 times, then I would of written you a continuous script that changed between which AI it was looking at, etc, but you only seem to have 4 groups.

In reality I have 30 groups, I just didn't want to flood the forum with hundreds on lines. I'm trying to create a firefight, which has 30 waves, so the commands repeat each other 30 times. with the same encounter scheme (covie1, covie2, covie3, covie4, covie5, ect)

So would I just repeat what you did 30 times?

Thanks.

Assuming the commands are the same, you can repeat the static scripts as many times as you need.
Edited by Polamee on Aug 27, 2011 at 05:34 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » good map makers wanted Aug 27, 2011 05:31 AM (Total replies: 4)

So I suppose you're asking for a map with a scarab/mythos with snipers positioned on top of it, and a huge army of covenant charging at you? Sounds quite straightforward, depending on the size of the covenant army (which will lag the map if its too large)

Halo CE General Discussion » An idea about AI... Jul 19, 2011 09:35 AM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan 279
I recently came up with an idea about AI in multiplayer.

This has a
0.000000001% chance of making me a HCE genius by luck
or MOST DEIFINTELY a
99.9999999999% chance of making me sound like some crazy drunken idiot.

a biped attached to a portable trigger volume scripted to shoot at a certain thing a t a certain time from a certain place.

:Derp.
Dont blame me, random stroke of stupidity while talking to Zekilik about scoreboards.

Discusss about how wrong I was and why.
:P

Its been suggested before, and I don't think it'll work, for various reasons: Firstly, unless you're going to have the trigger fire randomly, which might not sync, then you're going to have a fixed time of fire, for example in beam emitters (come to think of it those also don't sync in the first place).

Next, if that works, you're going to have a stationary biped that fires a fixed projectile at fixed points and that's not exactly what an AI is anyway.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » IN NEED OF SCRIPTS!!! Jul 15, 2011 08:00 AM (Total replies: 9)

Quote: --- Original message by: smarsh556
do u know some 1 who can has the scripts that dont have anything wrongg with them? i mean a10-50 dont work, b30 cant even get past the pelican fly in part.

That's odd, the b30 cutscene and pelican drop worked fine for me, perhaps it has to do with your recorded animations?

Halo CE General Discussion » I need a safe download of tool pro Jul 8, 2011 10:17 PM (Total replies: 19)

Before you do anything , you need to be aware of something

TOOL PRO DOES NOT ALLOW MAPS TO COMPILE OVER THE TAGSIZE LIMIT AND PLAY PROPERLY. There's a reason why there's a tagsize limit, you know. I've experimented with it before, and all the maps compiled above the limit by tool pro tend to exception upon startup or within one minute into gameplay. From what I can gather, the greatest use of tool_pro is that you can open up these maps which compile over the tag limit in HEK+ and expand different directories to see if there are any redundant tags you can cut down on etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Edited by Polamee on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Arms Race - Presentation and Requests Jun 29, 2011 03:09 AM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: L0d3x
I seem to remember a somewhat cool level Polamee made out of some MP level. Although it did exception for me. It had like a bridge and wraiths on it.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4575

Halo CE General Discussion » Arms Race - Presentation and Requests Jun 27, 2011 10:34 AM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: Ubergoober

wow, looks seriously pro and super fun, action packed and a huge variety of content, i wantz to play NAO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnKaYAe923M&feature=related

wow, u have some very cool stuff, y didnt u release?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MAdb5idYg&feature=related
Edited by Ubergoober on Jun 25, 2011 at 04:20 PM

There's a difference from something looking good on youtube and something looking good when you play it as a proper level xD

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Just wondering Jun 26, 2011 08:28 AM (Total replies: 2)

Nope, the time of day script triggers a BSP switch. So theoretically, you can load 2 identical bsps into a map, run different radiosity on each of them with a different sky, then use switch_bsp command ingame to change it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Stupid scripting question..... Jun 26, 2011 07:00 AM (Total replies: 4)

Firstly, go double-check if your biped is really named aitest.

More importantly,units_set_maximum_vitality is not a basic command, and there seems to be something strange with the way you entered it. The syntax for units_set_maximum_vitality apparently is:

(units_set_maximum_vitality [object_list] [real] [real])

So if ai_heal is not a variable, make it one. If it already is, then remove the brackets around it, and check if that's the exact name of the variable as well.

Halo CE General Discussion » list of mapping teams/groups in the community Jun 25, 2011 11:45 AM (Total replies: 68)

Yay anniversary.

A minor correction, do add Slayer 117 to the list of MP2SPMT members.

Halo CE General Discussion » list of mapping teams/groups in the community Jun 25, 2011 05:13 AM (Total replies: 68)

I didn't even know there was a new cmt :\

On a side note,

MP2SPMT
Founded: 2008
Members:
Overlord: Gamma
Leader: Polamee
Advisor: Elefant
Senior Members: Mythril, doompig, Jesse, MooseGuy
Edited by Polamee on Jun 25, 2011 at 05:27 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Is there around tag size limit? Jun 24, 2011 05:00 AM (Total replies: 35)

This question has been posed before, nope, there's proper no way around the tagsize limit. There's a reason why its put into place. Firstly, the tagsize limit of 128mb only seems to be applicable to multiplayer maps, I've seen singleplayer maps that are over 180mb in size but compile perfectly well in standard tool. And if you plan to have over 128mb of tags in multiplayer then I urge you to reconsider what you're trying to do.

But aside from that, from what I understand of tool_pro or any other variant of tool that allows you to compile above the limit, is it doesn't actively allow levels over the tagsize limit, whether sp or mp, to be playable within the game limits; halo will exception soon into the game because it can't handle it. The only use for tool_pro, malware aside, is to open up the map in HEK+ to weed out redundant tags and the like.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » WHY ME!!!!!! (ai prob..) Jun 24, 2011 04:46 AM (Total replies: 2)

Quote: --- Original message by: forrestkeller1

Try using a script command like (ai_attack [enemy encounter] )
Edited by forrestkeller1 on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Edited by forrestkeller1 on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Nope, that won't work. ai_attack sets the AI platoon referenced into an attacking state, which isn't relevant to what you're trying to do.

I gather that you want the AI to attack the turret instead of you, right? Then you can try using (ai_try_to_fight [enemy encounter] [allied encounter] ), which makes them choose the specified particular encounter over you whenever possible.

Time: Fri December 6, 2019 6:28 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website