A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: subtank
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 7, 2013 03:57 PM
Interests: Wiki editing
Your Age: Mature enough to be here...
What Games do you play: Quite redundant, don't you think...
Down is Up

Post Statistics
subtank has contributed to 66 posts out of 467817 total posts (.01%) in 3,871 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Mouse and KeyBoard VS. GamePads Sep 7, 2013 03:57 PM (Total replies: 29)

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
imagine using a guitar hero controller on halo... XD

Did that with Guitar Hero World Tour in '08.

Splitscreen with two Xbox controllers and two Guitar Hero controllers. All I can say is pure comic genius in the first two minutes... and utter annoyance to play properly for the next 2-5 minutes before someone starts to throw the guitar at the television.

Haven't tired using the drumset though...

Halo CE General Discussion » Takedown: Project Lawson Jul 25, 2013 11:20 AM (Total replies: 713)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Quote: --- Original message by: Stevedoggen
Personally I liked the hologram Heretic fight, was something new and rather unexpectedly pleasant. Yes Tartarus was annoying and punching the Prophet was fun as hell, but I'd take a boss fight over a fetch quest/button push mission anyday. Do you have any idea how many friggen buttons you have to press in Halo 4? Let's keep them there, alright?

Man, I hated pushing buttons in 4. Worst still, it takes a Spartan like 8 whole seconds to push a button.

That's why it should be done Halo 1-style, where pushing a button doesn't force the player into an animation sequence in the middle of an on-going game. Try making it different objectives such as "destroy these power nodes powering this node to disable the sentry emplacement protecting X facility, and while you're at it, remove the engineers from fixing it". I think it's doable (like the Maw example I gave) but it takes time to polish it into a good gameplay experience.

Even if you have to implement a boss fight, I would suggest to make it like the Heretic fight or the Punch-the-Prophet type where your boss fight not only involves the boss but also his henchmen (be it holograms or not) assisting him in the fight.

Edit: When I said "the Maw example", I meant the throw grenades into the engines' exhausts part...
Edited by subtank on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Takedown: Project Lawson Jul 25, 2013 07:16 AM (Total replies: 713)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Some of you have left feedback already on this, but what are some things you'd like to see in a sequel?

Things you don't need to tell me:
-More side characters. The side characters have so far received extremely well and I wanna do way more with them in the future
-Better Voice Acting. Since I will have the dialog script written before the map production it should be easier to get back in touch with my actors if I need extra takes, ect
-Custom BSP/Less linear missions & objectives. I plan to use more and more custom bsp throughout my future projects and I hope to make them way prettier

---
Also thank you for making the main/least favorite character poll so confusing. The person who is the least favorite is the 2nd favorite.

Edited by MatthewDratt on Jul 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM

Avoid boss fight. Halo 2 did it (with three characters) and both were dull (in hindsight, the one where you punch the Prophet of Regret was quite nice). Halo 3 did it and it was dull. Lumoria did it and it was dull (but then again, that teleporting trick was really impressive).

Make objectives unique, ala Halo 1 style (i.e. Destroy PoA's engines to destroy Halo. Press this panel to activate bridge, doors lock so we need to go back and deactivate security panel to get it unlock...). Those kind of objectives are, what I think, essential to the Halo formula.
Edited by subtank on Jul 25, 2013 at 07:18 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Takedown: Project Lawson Jul 21, 2013 02:17 PM (Total replies: 713)

That was fun. If you include a tunnel complex into Danger Canyon, would be an even better experience!

Also, was that Witcher 2 music I heard in the game?

Halo CE General Discussion » How Winders 8 Works For CE Apr 7, 2013 12:32 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
Quote: --- Original message by: Johnlex2
Windows XP is more practical, I say

Windows xp is still an INSANELY viable OS because it is stable with almost all old AND new programs. Sure, there are some programs that allow 64 bit, but XP runs the 32 bit versions quite nicely. It's still better than vista IMO, not so good at 7, but definitely better than 8 also.

You might as well consider migrating to either 7 or 8 right now 'cause XP is on a death row. Support is ending in less than a year from now (April 4, 2014). Good luck using it right after...

On topic: if HCE works on Windows 8, would it work on Microsoft's Surface Pro (not RT)?

Halo CE General Discussion » Firefight Portent II Official Thread Feb 3, 2013 09:35 AM (Total replies: 443)

We can play outside now? Yay!

Question: will you make full use of the map and the chambers inside the main structure (whatever that thing supposed to be) or will this be just an extension to the outside environment? Looking forward to this!

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CEA and HEK+ Jan 22, 2013 08:22 PM (Total replies: 50)

Quote: --- Original message by: Hydrogen
It uses the reach engine as the graphic overlay. If I am correct there should be 2 types of each map. newer engine and older engine versions

Not the reach engine. Reach engine runs only in the multiplayer component of HCEA. The campaign uses a custom graphic engine that synchronizes with the old engine (hence why you have a slight delay when you switch between old and new, pop-in textures every now and then, etc).

Think of it like having OpenSauce running on the old engine. You would need a software/program that is capable of extracting OpenSauce stuff, to which I guess is not HEK+. I might be wrong for using this an analogy though. :/

Halo CE General Discussion » O.D.S.T. Series; Official Thread Dec 30, 2012 08:32 AM (Total replies: 162)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
I like seeing custom SP projects, a few suggestions based off the pix:
- Add some kind of billboard trees at the top of your cliffs and perhaps add a secondary extension to it, this will make it feel more enclosed.
- Add some more variety to your scenery trees, I think you should consider scaling some of them up. There's a script for this, but I forgot which one. I know I used it in lumlum.

I like the choice of textures for the most part.
Cheers and happy newyears beers!

Wouldn't it be better to do a cityscape environment like Halo 3: ODST if you want that enclosed feeling? A remix of H2 New Mombasa custom map would be nice. This is a reply not only to Lodeman but also to the OP.

Also, do an opening scene like the one in Halo 2: http://youtu.be/anHnFqoDoo0?t=1m46s

Halo CE General Discussion » www.halomaps.org Dec 30, 2012 07:46 AM (Total replies: 84)

Would it be possible to have a drop-down menu instead of static links on the navigation?

Uh, last Friday was 7th December... feel free to facepalm. 9_9

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE servers being shut down Dec 8, 2012 09:42 PM (Total replies: 335)

The game is nearly decade-old anyway, so it has been a good run. Maybe they'll shut down the servers on September 30, 2013? That would be cool!

Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket
(does this mean that Halo CE is now considered open source?)

Not unless Microsoft says so.

Halo CE General Discussion » www.halomaps.org Nov 27, 2012 11:59 PM (Total replies: 84)

Do both, and add a theme-switcher in the nav-bar? I'm sure it's doable.

Quote: --- Original message by: OHunterO
How can you give your opinion of a game that you haven't yet played...

Because I'm one of those people responsible for keeping the Halo wiki up to date. As such, I have this symptom of "information overload"... to such extent that I can make that opinion. And it has been quite accurate so far.

More examples of lack of replayability value:

• Campaign being shorter/not the focus of the Halo 4 project - Halo 4 is like Battlefield 3: campaign being shorter and online multiplayer being the focus on why you should buy the game. Spartan Ops is essentially Firefight with no customisable options to tweak the amount of enemy you can put in. Gone are the days of Gruntpocalypse and my custom-favourite "Hunter Madness".

• Terminals cannot be accessed in the game: it is only accessible via Halo Waypoint - An alternate to this would be to look it up on YouTube but that's not the point. The whole idea is to be able to access what you bought on that game alone like you would in H3, HCEA and ODST.

• Game content focused more on online multiplayer than campaign - Not surprising. Microsoft wants to tap into the competitive multiplayer market. Since I seldom play online multiplayer and more of a party game, there's no real point of having it: Reach already fulfilled that role. Will miss pouches... even though they don't do anything.

• Theater mode cut out of campaign - Quite straightforward and somewhat nitpicky. The liberty to spend time and take campaign screenshots.

Edited by subtank on Nov 8, 2012 at 07:09 AM
Edited by subtank on Nov 8, 2012 at 07:12 AM

Also keep in mind that MS pays prominent gamesites to write positive reviews. Like seriously. It's leaked out in the past that Ubisoft was paying a gamesite I often frequent, so that most likely means the same applies to other major sites and distributors. It's a form of advertisement, ever wonder why major gamesites always rate games ridiculously high? This is the reason.
Edited by The Lodeman on Nov 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Not so far from the truth. Related video for the curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwD2GgWKIrs

Hmm... might as well just give out my opinion of the game. While I haven't played the game yet, I know that I would not enjoy as much as I would with previous titles in the Halo franchise. The game seriously lacks replayability value, unless you're a Xbox LIVE power user (i.e. paying out MS Points for new content).

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 4 "Scanned" Trailer Oct 19, 2012 02:18 PM (Total replies: 57)

Somewhat on topic (tv-ad). Microsoft marketing reaching for the non-gamer/gaming demographic: http://www.horriblenight.com/35611/wtf-is-this-strip-halo-4-in-hart-of-dixie So... yup. :P

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 4 "Scanned" Trailer Oct 19, 2012 11:24 AM (Total replies: 57)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Is 343 gonna change anything?
They have a couple of weeks left.

Can't. The game has packaged and ready to be released on the set date. In case you're not up-to-date, game has been leaked earlier this week.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 4 "Scanned" Trailer Oct 19, 2012 11:18 AM (Total replies: 57)

Beautiful and nice, like all modern game trailers nowadays. Unfortunately does not represent the actual game... just like Believe and Halo 3.

Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Might be because I just woke up, but could barely understand what's going on here.

Didact "scanned" the Chief and took a glimpse of his memory/past leading up to his encounter with the Didact (which did not happen in that manner in the actual game).
Edited by subtank on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Project Lumoria... Complete. Oct 14, 2012 01:49 AM (Total replies: 382)

Quote: --- Original message by: Noobyourmom
The plot development was good for two episodes, but you can't create a compelling story in that short of a game. Also, Ep. 1 didn't have top-notch voice acting or cutscenes, but you learned and improved for Ep. 2. I wouldn't expect you to go back and raise the bar on Ep. 1, I think you made the right choice to move on, and Ep. 1 is only 25% of the campaign anyway.

I didn't penalised the game for having such quality of voice acting: that's a given since that as far as the mod can go. Hence why I did not compare it with any AAA title or any game in that matter. And you can have a compelling story in a short game: games such as The Stanley Parable ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable ) and Minerva ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/minerva ) pulled it off.

Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
-- snip --

A 7/10 is just saying you were trying to keep it lower for the sake of putting it lower since you know most everyone will rank it high, which is basically the same as finding something wrong for the sake of finding something wrong. That's a terrible attitude for a reviewer in any situation.

The score is not an objective score nor was it influenced by scores given by other players: there is no checklist to determine whether it meets the good standard nor it was not done because I want to be different. How I review things is by assessing everything and anything that happens in the game. Like the example I given previously, Halo and Mass Effect cannot be compared in terms of gameplay because they are of different pacing/shooting genre/gameplay mechanics and as such, scores will be different for both of them. Both have different scores but at the end, they are still considered good games to me.

Of course, by modding standards, it is a perfect ten. If it were about providing a good gameplay experience, it is a 9/10. If it's about the story, that's where it hits the low mark. At the end, the score is simply how good the game is to me.

Halo CE General Discussion » Project Lumoria... Complete. Oct 13, 2012 02:08 PM (Total replies: 382)

Simply, there is no other project that is similar to Lumoria's development but that doesn't mean I should overlook the obvious flaw of the game itself. The story element of Lumoria has features like Terminal (which takes a while to find and read), scenes involving the Forerunner AI as well as its own big model spinning around as we battle that cool-teleporting Elite. A lot of work put into the story as you can tell. While the effort is appreciated, the story was weak.

As Echo77 commented, the score is given and it is supplemented with reasons why it received that score (You got the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly). That is the score that I think the game deserves and I don't think it will change unless it requires another reviewing session. Again, 7/10 doesn't mean it sucks overall: it's a good score.

And the point I was making in my previous post is that there is no such thing as "professional game journalist". Sites like IGN, Gamespot, X-play (since 2009) and OfficialXbox are crap game journalism sites. They either obviously biased or getting paid to do it. If there is such a thing, they would have done it like Zero Punctuation.

Lodeman loves reading things out of context and taking his readings beyond what is intended. Looks like not having perfect scores would scar him for life... *shrugs*

Halo CE General Discussion » Project Lumoria... Complete. Oct 13, 2012 01:04 AM (Total replies: 382)

The problem with your number is we have nothing to compare it too. Are you just a very negative person, or do you find our campaign sucks compared to other projects on this site, which you do feel deserve 10/10?

Your scale isn't clear, don't throw numbers without specifying to what scale you are rating it.
If you're comparing it to triple AAA campaigns from major companies than great, 7/10 is fantastic. If you're comparing it to projects from this community that are using similar resources to us, then I'd be very disapointed.

And no, the tank is not ridiculously slow. Its very similar to that of later Halo games. The H1 default tank is just ridiculously fast, a big difference. Another reason why it was slowed down, aside from it being a racecar, was the fact that it made marines drive it alot more accurately.

Anyways, if you dislike our story (which you probably don't fully understand, assuming you neglected the terminals), you can always have some random kid write up his/her own story and post it on your wiki, and deem it the official "Lumorian campaign".

Being as neutral as I always have been since... ever (as a result of editing wikis using neutral POV), I seldom give out perfect scores for fan-made mods (e.g. Black Mesa: Source, for example, was 9/10 in my book). How I judge things is not by comparing one game from another (e.g. you can't really compare Mass Effect to Halo: two different gameplay mechanics of different shooting genre!). My rating scale changes based on production value, development and the direction the project takes.

That being said, I didn't compare your mod with any other mod or any other title. It's uniquely just based on what you've been working on and what has been released so far. The great risk that this mod took was trying to create a story, though it was not successful in pulling it off. That's the sole reason why the mod gets a seven instead of a perfect ten. For example, the Firefight map that was released a few weeks ago, if I recall correctly, got a 9/10 because it fulfilled its purpose: a Firefight map in HCE (with a cool loadout script, accessible features such as the nuke and sentinels, and fun gameplay... though Halo gameplay is always fun! Would've given it a perfect ten if the environment is more asymmetrical but I'll wait for the next installment to achieve that. :D ).

And you just admitted about the tank being slower than its original configuration, so I'll leave it at that.

And it's not my wiki: it's a community fanon wiki by the community. Seriously, still holding on that grudge? Just write your own story on the wiki. It's not like anyone is stopping you from doing so (unless you start altering other people's writings). And the story was weak (even with the terminals). You can interpret that as "it sucked" but my intentions is much more nobler than outright saying "oh, it sucked".

Looks like giving a proper review will only get me into trouble... might as well be one of the mindless zombies and give out perfect tens like the so-called "professional game journalists".
Edited by subtank on Oct 13, 2012 at 01:07 AM

Time: Tue October 23, 2018 12:07 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website