A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Vick Jr
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 31, 2009 06:24 AM
Interests:
Your Age: XFire: vickjr (Nickname: Vick Sr)
What Games do you play: Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Half life 2
Well enough alone...

Post Statistics
Vick Jr has contributed to 457 posts out of 469161 total posts (.10%) in 4,046 days (.11 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

It's possible to set up the device machine to emmit sound from a marker when a function is turned on and not when it's turned off. Use a device control to script it to change positions. (device_set_position_emediate boombox 1) -something like that. You can also script sound to emmit from a certain opbject. With the "automatic activation radius", you can also set the boombox to turn on automaticly when people get close to it.

I'm making a map with large water pipes that the player can walk through and I was wondering how feasible it would be to have water come through the pipes (snaking around the turns and such), and kill them. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to have a very large projectile with a contrail that starts at one end and will bounce around the pipes, following the curves, and killing the players as it goes. The disadvantage is contrails aren't very advanced for effects. Another option would be an animated device machine which could have a rippling shader effect and bubble particle systems, etc and player damaging nodes like the fire scenery. If you have any other ideas, please tell.

I know Halo's fog system is very limited, and weather isn't much more advanced. Is it possible to have fog and a weather particle system outside, but none inside, yet make it visible to players inside? (What's that +weatherpoly special shader used for anyway?) The sky tag has settings that would seem to indicate this is possible for fog, but is it possible with planar fog that starts at a certain level and gradients up to maximum density? If not, would it be feasible to have a fog shader that I could use to honeycomb the outside, making farther away objects greyer (because they are being viewed through more semi-transparent fog screen polygons) and closer objects clearer?

Also, what's the difference between the "*" and "@" shader symbols? They both make things collision-only, so where should one be used and not the other?

One more thing, anyone have any tutorials on animated (4 stage) shaders?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » changeing the flame and plasma Aug 29, 2009 05:37 PM (Total replies: 3)

Yes, the shaders will have tint colors you can use. If that doesn't work or look good, you can edit the bitmaps they use.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » BA graphics Aug 29, 2009 05:35 PM (Total replies: 5)

High-res bitmaps and high-res bump maps + specualr+some other shader tricks+light ray shader (god rays) + righ quality radiosity + dynamic light+ lots of portals and a small, low-ish poly map. Did I miss anything?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Docking vehicles....can it be done? Aug 26, 2009 08:37 AM (Total replies: 12)

If the vehicle is not going to move after its docked, why do you need a continu=ouse attack/detach cycle?

Basicy, like they said, you could have a trigger volume in the docking area. if a vehicle being driven enters it, it automaticly attaches to the dock, and makes the player exit, and teleports them to the side (to avoid them coming out in wierd plaes). Then, if a player comes into a docking area with a docked vehicle, the vehicle detaches and the player can get into it. It could even detach right after it attaches, just so it's in place.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Help with device_machines Aug 9, 2009 10:13 PM (Total replies: 2)

It's supposed to be named "device positions.jmo" right?
And the flame is a shader (needler core, same as the covenant plasma torch). The actual flame geomitry is scaled in the animation. (well, it's linked to a frame which is scaled)

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Help with device_machines Aug 9, 2009 01:43 PM (Total replies: 2)

EDIT: OK. I got the animation to work. Now the problem is the attachments. There's a dynamic light, particle system, etc. I want each to scale up and down with a function (A out) which turns the light on. The light should get brighter, lense flare brighter and bigger, particle system turn on, etc. How do I do this?

Origninal post:
I'm trying to make a torch that turns on when someone walks near it, sort of like a door that opens. It's animated to have a flame-type thing that is normally small, then scales up. There will also be other things like a dynamic light, looping sound, and lense flare that are normally off, but turn turn on with the torch. (well, scale up. Not just on and off). They should also scale down when it turns off (someone walks away)
My animation is set up like a door. The first frame is the default position and the last frame is the open position. The problem is getting the animation to play and attachements to scale up from 0 to 1 when someone walks near. I've tried looking at door tags and found the "automatic activation radius" field and set it, as well as some other things like the doors, but the animation doesn't play and the attachements just turn on, not scale up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 11, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 11, 2009 at 06:25 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » map grounds! Aug 9, 2009 08:45 AM (Total replies: 6)

What I did was select the ground polygons, go the the top viewport, take a screenshot, past that into photoshop, and start working with it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » uvw map with odd angles Aug 8, 2009 05:06 PM (Total replies: 8)

Ahh. I think I found the problem. The unanimated parts were linked directly to the main frame. They should have been linked to their own unanimated frame, which is in turn linked to the main frame.

Also: am I correct in that, once I have the animation, I can set it up so that the device will normally be at frame 0, then when someone walks near it it will go through it's animation, stop at the last frame, stay there, then reverse-animate back down to frame 0 when they walk away? (basicly like a door.)

How do I do that? I looked at door device tags and they use a field called "automatic activation radius" which obviously makes them open and close when people walk near them, but after that I'm lost as for how to link animating to activation.
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 8, 2009 at 05:38 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » uvw map with odd angles Aug 8, 2009 04:25 PM (Total replies: 8)

Ok. How? They should be a regular jma right? Just have a main frame, link non-animated stuff to that, then have another frame with animated geomitry linked to it and animate that frame to scale right? Do I need to change anything in guerilla?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » uvw map with odd angles Aug 8, 2009 03:56 PM (Total replies: 8)

Does it matter? I'll try it that way.

Can someone please confirm that scaling animations are even possible in halo?!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Plane Modeling Aug 8, 2009 12:25 PM (Total replies: 35)

There we go! I knew it was llama something. The filefront links don't work, but I'll see if the halomaps one does. Thanks you!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Plane Modeling Aug 7, 2009 08:32 PM (Total replies: 35)

I think I know what your talking about for "plane modeling". There was a really good, and really long, tutorial on it posted a while back, but I can't find it anywhere. I think it was by "llama". You ended up making this...

Someone must remember what tutorial makes this and can link to it. C'mon!
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 7, 2009 at 08:33 PM

However, I don't think you can get any more detail out of it with less (or even the same) polycount. If you find that in making something one way, and making the exact same thing another way, results in different polycounts, then something isn't fully optemized. And there are alwais multiple ways to make the same thing. Just depends on which you like better.
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 7, 2009 at 08:36 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » uvw map with odd angles Aug 7, 2009 06:39 PM (Total replies: 8)

Ok. The doors are tricky. The have a power, which determines if they can even be opend (green or red), and a position, which is open or closed. But i think i can figure it out.

The problem now is that when I export the model, max crashes with an unhandeled error. I'm trying to make my torch. It Has a static part and an animated part. The animated part is an effect shader inside the torch (same as in the covenent torch) and the static part is the torch pole and head mesh. It's linked to a frame (frame_torcheffects) which is animated to scale up. That's linked to the main frame (frame) as is the static mesh (torch) and a marker (#light). I believe the problem is with how many things can be linked to a frame. For instance, before when I had the torch and effects as seperate objects, both linked to the main frame, it had the error. (this was withought the marker and no anims). But then I attached them to be one object linked to the frame and it worked fine. WTF?

Is this set up right?

frame (static)
....#light (marker)
....torch (mesh)
....frame_torcheffects (animated to scale)
.........torcheffects (mesh)(scales with frame_torcheffects)

(all are editable meshes)

Max 8 has an unhandeled exception when I try to export this as a jms with blitzkrieg. Bluestreak seams to work, I'm not sure, atleast it doesn't crash. But it can't export anims.

One more thing, what are light volumes and what are they used for?
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 7, 2009 at 06:55 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » uvw map with odd angles Aug 6, 2009 07:52 PM (Total replies: 8)

I keep running into the same problem and I know there must be a simple easy way to solve it. Say I have a rectangular polygon and I bevel it 1 up, 1.732 in (30 degree angle). The angles of the 4 polygons it forms are NOT actually 30 degrees. That's just the slope angle, not the angle atwhich they meet. I could do some math and figure out the angle and what it should be when I scale the uvw mapping a certain way and figure out the right coordinates, but isn't there another way to make the polygons in the uvw map window proportional their geomitry. (and to make the angles correct when the uvw polys are scaled in some way).

Simple example.

Also, does the w coordinate ever have any relivance in Halo map making? What's it used for?
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 6, 2009 at 08:07 PM

Also, can anyone recommend some tuts on machines? I want to make animated hatches and some lights that turn on when you walk near them.
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 6, 2009 at 08:11 PM

Seen the movie? Seen the sequel? (CUBE 2: Hypercube). If you haven't iether go see them or ignor this thread. I wouldn't say that the movies themselves are great, but the concept is.

Basically there's a room. It has a similar style to aperture science test chambers (in fact I believe Valve was heavily influenced by the movies). The room is, you guessed it, a cube. It has 6 square doors, one in the center of each wall, with 4 ladders to reach it. The rest of the walls are pure white light panels. The doors open up to other identical rooms (actually the same room but different...sci-fi explains it). The fun part is that gravity and time speed can change in between the rooms. There are an infinite number of rooms.

If I were to make a map based on this concept, I would make it with a single cube bsp. Portals (modded to not look like portals-take away the effects) would be scripted to appear in a door whenever anyone opened it, and a corresponding portal would be made at another door (or even the same one). The person could then look through the portal and see what would appear to be another cube room.

The hard part is, in most cases, they would have to NOT see or interact with themselves or anything else in the next room when they look into it or go into it, but would if they decide to turn around and not go through the door. I don't know if scripting can set the visibility and collidability of objects, or if there's a way to delete them temporarily while saving their position. Which is why I'm asking here.

The point is that it would be an awesome experiment, and portal is the only game that could do it. The other problem is...I'm not sure what the objective of the map would be. Escape? How? What weapons/tools would you have? What other charecters are there and what do they do? etc.

I mod Halo, not portal, so couldn't make it...yet. But if anyone ever did, well, your welcome for the idea. lol

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » hi, refelction cube map question Aug 4, 2009 09:38 AM (Total replies: 2)

From what I understand, it's not that complicated. It's a map...that fits into a cube. Like if you made a cube in max and properly mapped the squares of the cubemap to the sides, then put the camera in the center and looked around, you would see it all around you and it would make a complete panorama.
Look at levels/a50/bitmaps/reflection desert night. (reflection maps are cubemaps) You can see how the 6 squares would go to make a complete 360 panorama, like a skybox. This example looks like it was made almost by taking screenshots of the map from above, editing them to be lower res, and making them into a cubemap. That's one way to do it. You could also paint them.
But the reflectionmap doesn't even have to be of the exact map. Look at the reflectionmap for forruner interiors. It isn't of an actal space, but it has some forruner-light-ish things so in game you think it's reflecting the forruner place your in.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Fog region exception Aug 2, 2009 10:19 AM (Total replies: 8)

I would make the water work first before applying fog. The water plane should be a single plane (like 2 triangles) that covers the entire water surface. A fog plane doesn't have to cover anything. It just defines the orientation of a fog plane. Make sure that the normal is pointing away from where the fog should be and that there aren't 2 fog planes in one portal.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Couldn't allocate cluster (?) Aug 2, 2009 10:15 AM (Total replies: 2)

That's the problem. I've had this error before. I fixed it by putting portals in the map. I think it's caused when there is too much geomitry to fit into one portal. Try adding some and also optemizing your map.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Need help with interior lighting Jul 26, 2009 10:17 AM (Total replies: 16)

Quote: --- Original message by: chrisk123999

Did you do radiosity with Sapien or Tool? In tool's raidiosity, lights don't emit. Run it with sapien.

If that takes to long, you can manually edit the lightmaps by converting the lightmaps bitmap to tiff, then use tool to recompile it after you edit it. If you can figure out what part your editing that is...
Edited by chrisk123999 on Jul 25, 2009 at 03:34 PM

That's where Aether comes in. (search it) Unfortunatly i don't think you can do radiosity in gmax, but you can find out how the lightmaps are mapped to the geomitry.

Time: Wed July 24, 2019 3:51 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website