A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: OrangeJuice
About Contact
Last Post: Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
Interests: nobody cares...
Your Age: nobody cares...
What Games do you play: nobody cares...
I laugh at people who put STUDIO in their names.

Post Statistics
OrangeJuice has contributed to 1760 posts out of 461543 total posts (.38%) in 2,981 days (.59 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Yesterday @ 06:19 PM (Total replies: 70)

. . . Thank god someone else actually calls them emoticons.

Halo CE General Discussion » JMS exporter update Mar 26, 2017 10:48 PM (Total replies: 11)

I've just been using the bobbysoon 104e exporter and the cad for animations

All of the bluestreak tools always gave me fake-errors on my BSPs that can't be detected in Max and aren't even a problem. period. on other exporters
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 27, 2017 at 04:59 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Mar 25, 2017 05:44 PM (Total replies: 70)

60FPS adds nothing to Halo's visual fidelity because the stock animations are 30FPS. Boosting those values doesn't add more information.

If you want better proof of why these new upgrades are necessary(despite these ridiculous claims xD ):

• It's already been made easy to do with impunity. So too late to argue. ^_^

• Makes interpolated 30FPS animations look twice as smooth(for them handicapped people who can't take 30+mblur without freaking out.)

• You can store more information per second, compared to Halo's animations. Think convulsive-movements and ballerina. Impossible facial-emotions and body language that can't be portrayed with 30/25FPS Halo animation limits. Micromovements that aren't visible with lower framerates. It's up to the animator to use it wisely.

• It's 2017 already. Which is a bad argument on its own, but consider the context: Even on submodern AND low end hardware, we've been able to push these framerates for well over a decade. It's simply time for Halo's engine limitations to take a look at a calender
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 26, 2017 at 02:15 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Mar 25, 2017 05:04 PM (Total replies: 11211)

I'm thinking I could go out and find a mesh-baking addon, and probably use something like blender to sculpt the map, and then bring it into max to bake it into a lowpoly for ingaming without having to model it twice :)
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 25, 2017 at 05:05 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Tool Problem that came back to haunt me. Mar 24, 2017 03:18 PM (Total replies: 10)

did you rename the .map file or was it the .scenario?

Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Mar 24, 2017 01:26 AM (Total replies: 70)

As a creator of sorts, a ``proof of concept`` doesn't have to warrant its own standalone project. It's just for posterity.

Now that it's proven to be effective(and totally viable thanks to mos), people can make whatever they want with this technique. Simple
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 24, 2017 at 01:38 AM

Yay more hex edit practice !

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Mar 22, 2017 04:19 AM (Total replies: 11211)

It has to start somewhere -

Without some level of criticism, most tablet users end up becoming really OCD, and doing the whole ``Erase the same stroke 100 times trying to micromanage it`` or rely too heavily on automation and luck

Things like: tapered strokes that weren't achieved through actual control. But rather, lots of erasing and blindly flicking the stylus to cheat the vector look
    Or: most of halomaps. Think they're good, but are really just copying other halo tags poly-for-poly and probably can't model without reference(just a figure of speech. Never model without reference.)

Or a random example: drawing exclusively mock-manga-style without learning basic skeletal work or depth or camerawork xD

But yes, when you start seeing repetition in any one persons's portfolio, it tends to carry lots of implications from onlookers
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Custom Sound Issue Mar 18, 2017 09:54 PM (Total replies: 12)

Oh ... right.

Do you have the sounds and vorbisfile fix?
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 18, 2017 at 09:56 PM

Use Guerilla:

Open the .bitmap

Change the format to one that has what you want

Close the .bitmap

Recompile your image through tool

(Then your .bitmap will look proper(if you did it right))
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 15, 2017 at 07:29 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 15, 2017 11:44 AM (Total replies: 16)

.... You're gonna love this.

This person's HowTo can get you a fully-functioning OpenSauce in linux with the F7 menu.

Man, the halo community does a bad job of fragmenting. Wellp. problem solved #TopicNotNeeded
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 14, 2017 06:45 AM (Total replies: 16)

How?

(P.S. I haven't used linux as an OS for more than a few hours at a time since like ...a decade)

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 13, 2017 07:01 PM (Total replies: 16)

3DSmax 7 worked perfectly !

(luckily 3dsmax7 is really simple. Its installer is just a self-extracting exe that simply registers itself afterwards. Yay.)

EDIT: 3dsmax7 has a lot of documented fixes: WineDB 3dsmax 7.x
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 13, 2017 at 07:09 PM

Just put the blitzkrieg plugin in /Plugins instead of /Stdplugs
    and put the dll files in syswow64 instead of system32
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 13, 2017 at 07:16 PM
    -
    -
    -
    EDIT:

Now I'm trying to get OpenSauce to work.
    First I tried getting its dependencies and stuff. Like visual c++ 2010, and .NET 4.0. and even mscore dll.

Its installer just flat-out doesn't work in linux

So I popped on over to windows, and extracted the MSI, which gave me most of its install files. BUT ! ! Not OS_guerilla or OS_sapien and all that good stuff. So I decided to arbitrarily copy those install files from my windows install.

... DIDN'T WORK. Halo behaves as if nothing is different, no OS PP commands, no F7 menu, no OS version number. Nothing.

I don't think OpenSauce'll work unless there's some way to inject it into haloce. Which is supposedly nearly impossible because of how Linux does file handling. period.

Errr..... Can someone give me a modded haloce.exe with the opensauce permanently applied to it ?
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:10 PM

For what it's worth. The HEK tools work perfectly because they're permanently modded with OS. I just need a modded haloce that can run opensauce without needing a dinput8.dll next to it
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 13, 2017 05:45 PM (Total replies: 16)

I'll stick around for a little while longer.

I'm trying to see what all is possible when it comes to actual CONTENT CREATION in linux. For halo.

There's linux native Krita and linux native Blender. So that's .gbxmodels and texturing. There's also a native linux Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

Let's see what else there is....

Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 13, 2017 at 05:46 PM

EDIT: I'll try 3dsmax7 now since there's a russian vid of it working(of course with no explanation of how they got it working... idiotic showing off of things)
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 13, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 13, 2017 04:12 PM (Total replies: 16)

Yeah it does. Do still get bored once every two or so years and install it just to see what's different.

. Still a piece of junk terminal-OS that isn't ready for the desktop. .

Shoot, at least I made halo work

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Mar 13, 2017 05:45 AM (Total replies: 16)

I got bored and installed linux today, I hate it. Too much crap to get anything working. I just wrote everything down in notepad and pasted it here really quickly. I'll edit it as I go so that it's more readable here on halomaps..

-------

Alright! So I got Halo PC, Halo Custom Edition, the HEK(mostly), and HAC2 working in Linux! I used the current xubuntu.

some things you'll need:
    EDIT: Nevermind. Just follow This Person's HowTo instead. Their's is already complete, they've kept it up to date most of the year. And managed to get Opensauce Working 100% ingame . ..

#### #### #### #### #### #### #### ####
    HALO, PC, CE

NOTES for halo:
  • Alt-F4 works
  • Mouse acceleration and smoothing only seemed to work after I downloaded/installed my GPU drivers for linux
  • startup arguments work
  • HAC2 works (yes. Map downloading, FOV, ..The Works..)
  • Chatting works and DOESN'T mess up during an alt-tab(audit me on this?)

SAPIEN

No noticeable problems

TOOL

DO NOT RUN TOOL DIRECTLY FROM WINE.
    Open a terminal in the Halo Custom Edition folder and run wine CMD. Only use tool from the cmd prompt or it won't do anything

Running ' wine cmd ' will turn your terminal into the windows command prompt(at wherever you called cmd). So if you want to use tool, just launch cmd from the Halo Custom Edition folder.

[tested] I compiled bitmaps from tutorial map

EDIT: It's likely safer and more reliable to use wineconsole instead of launching cmd through wine

HALOCEDED(probably HALODED too.) (Didn't try any custom server programs. Just stock haloceded.)

doesn't respond to commands. You'll have to use init.txt and rcon to control it.

EDIT: Haloceded does work: launch using wineconsole instead of wine

#### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### #### ####

• This is me running halo at like ......NO fps in a VM yesterday. I installed linux today, rehearsed everything I did in the VM.... Then I got halo working on an ``actual`` hardware linux install at 1920x1200 with pretty much normal windows-framerates... BTW You don't need to launch it from an UGLY terminal, I was just trying to find broken DLLs

This is halo on hardware. AMD A6 APU

Linux has Krita, Blender, 3dsmax7, Microsoft Visual Studio, ...gimp..(screw gimp. Like Damn..)

Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 15, 2017 at 08:25 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit (MEK) Mar 12, 2017 12:31 PM (Total replies: 24)

Doesn't work on linux xD hahahahahaaa ! !

Halo CE General Discussion » BlueStreak JMS Exporter 1.0.4 Mar 11, 2017 02:41 PM (Total replies: 10)

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=38954

nuff said xD

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mozzarilla v0.9.1 Mar 9, 2017 07:59 PM (Total replies: 84)

Oh also, The cubemap thing is exactly what I tested. I have the DirectX SDK installed, and I used the DirectX Texture Tool.

This tool doesn't use T-maps, when I made that cubemap test ^ this tool forced me to import every face individually. I had to tear apart the cubemap in Krita and save the faces as 6 separate images.

Since I don't have any programs that read DDS files, I don't really know if it saved them in the T-shape or not... For all I know, it probably saved them as those weird blue-outline thingies that the HEK uses, probably not :/

But it worked, and that's what that image up there is. All faces match perfectly with the cubemap from A10 :)
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 9, 2017 at 08:04 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mozzarilla v0.9.1 Mar 9, 2017 05:52 PM (Total replies: 84)

Wellp In all the fun I was having I think I found a bug:

I Ripped a Self-Illumination map from A10 and there's a empty big transparent border around it(not supposed to be): It's cropping some of the details, and you can tell when you lay this image over the diffuse map

EDIT: I figured it out. It's working properly now

Krita assumes that unless a layer contains any sort of RGB or greyscale data that a layer is 100% transparent(because Krita is a paint-program, not a photo editor). SO! In order to look at things like meters, multipurpose, or Self-Illumination maps, you have to Separate the Alpha channel as its own layer first so that the base map has no transparency, BEFORE decompiling the channels. Otherwise Krita will accidentally use the Alpha channel to crop any data outside of it. Be careful
    Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 9, 2017 at 07:26 PM

• Time: Tue March 28, 2017 3:33 PM 328 ms.
    A Halo Maps Website