A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: OrangeJuice
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 31, 2020 10:44 AM
Interests: nobody cares...
Your Age: nobody cares...
What Games do you play: nobody cares...
I'm feeling much better now, thanks!

Post Statistics
OrangeJuice has contributed to 1927 posts out of 465374 total posts (.41%) in 4,084 days (.47 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I do mostly all-original middle-east stoneware and arches and columns and stuff.

I just can't do anything fancy with the tools I have because I haven't been home
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 31, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Progress] Sound tool by janus/altheros Mar 26, 2020 02:34 PM (Total replies: 7)

Anything that makes original sources faster to compile than ports and rips is good enough for me. I'm getting tired of the 10 or so years of boring halo 3 and 4 porting projects

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS vs OG level design and tools Mar 14, 2020 12:34 AM (Total replies: 7)

It mostly just adds scripting features that are only really useful for a singleplayer maps.
Other than that it's basically your run-of-the-mill modded HEK, so it has little to no benefit in multiplayer. OpenSauce has its own wiki on bitbucket

Graphics-wise it allows halo to use topical postprocess shaders, adds a specular-mapping and normal-mapping section to shader_model, adds the ability to use animations and actor transformations to an AI, a Directional-Lightmaps section to shader_environment, and increases a few of the rendering budgets.

Anything ran through OS_Guerilla, OS_Sapien, or OS_tool.exe typically can't be read or used by the stock HEK anymore unless they're reopened and cleaned with the moses kit(ANOTHER custom-HEK).

You'd have to find another way to make the directional-lightmaps though because the openCOLLADA project seems to be dead and all the links are 404'd. So it might be a bit difficult to obtain an openCOLLADA plugin to make DLMs with.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 14, 2020 at 12:47 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Screen resolution Mar 14, 2020 12:11 AM (Total replies: 4)

Chimera 1.0 by itself

It used to be that you'd install hac2 for the modern comfort features and chimera "build number: ##" at the same time for general fixalls, but now chimera has a 1.0 version that is pretty much just the hac2 project and chimera all in a single plugin.

FOV is now set with:

chimera_fov degrees

It's persistent, so you can set it and forget it

And.. yeah. Opensauce would work too if you're a mapmaker and wanna use OS features in a project. It also has FOV settings just like chimera

Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 14, 2020 at 12:16 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Is this site closing in 2016? Mar 13, 2020 11:59 AM (Total replies: 116)

GAME MORE IMPORHHTANT!

Halo CE General Discussion » Is this site closing in 2016? Mar 12, 2020 06:17 PM (Total replies: 116)

pssst....!

The giant red notice under the game downloads still say that 1.0.9 is the latest patch and still point to 1.0.9

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Mar 8, 2020 07:48 PM (Total replies: 65)

All you had to do was read the original topic post.

a basic understanding of content creation and porting also goes a long way too. Remember that this a website for original content, not weekend meta-swap projects like they do on the old xbox, understanding the more technical stuff is much needed

Halo CE General Discussion » any good mods available? Mar 7, 2020 12:31 AM (Total replies: 11)

I have a pbworks wiki. But I almost never update it. It started out as a CHM(windows compiled helpfile) file, then I tried making it as an HTML folder like the original HEK tutorial. Everything. I eventually settled on PBworks

I don't really put tutorials there. Just rudimentary technical stuff like say..... "what each option in the .bitmap tag does" and stuff like that. It's probably only useful to people who've actually used the HEK at least once

Here's a really really incomplete sample: Texture(multipurpose map)

The takeaway is that since I do everything by myself, I have NO direction at all. It helps to have an idea of "what are people trying to do RIGHT NOW" instead of just taking potshot at every little HEK detail without any orders to follow or someone to say "hey work on this right now". Oh and I don't think PBworks is multilanguage, feel free to just clone it and make it a different language
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 7, 2020 at 12:48 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Random Prop Items. . Feb 25, 2020 02:31 PM (Total replies: 9)

More canister !

EDIT: Ink was a little bit faded, so I guess it's time to match it

TODO:
()Model the dispenser tube.

(done)Multipurpose the plastic top, needs grip bumps like the WD40.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 25, 2020 at 09:26 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 25, 2020 at 09:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Random Prop Items. . Feb 24, 2020 12:51 PM (Total replies: 9)

How has it been like 16 years and nobody put WD-40 in halo yet?

Since I haven't been home in a while and I'm without a tablet, I've just been screwing around in 3DSmax for fun. So I've been putting in a few hours practicing UVW Unwrapping:

I finally have an excuse to use a multipurpose map too, like the bottle cap. It's just solid, basic-red in the colormap. But those ridges in the plastic are 2-pixel wide vertical lines in the reflection-mapping of the multipurpose, so it's really low budget. I'm having lots of fun!

So now we have WD-40.

Also making stairs because of boredom too. I've been plotting the number of steps and required height on a TI89, and manually setting all of the step heights by just looking at the data. I ended up modeling an elbow stairs and a spiral stairs:

I've been experimenting with using all Render-Only collisionless materials too. So I can get as fancy as I want and not have to worry about halo freaking out about it. It worked out years ago for highpoly Hyrule and I'm glad I still knew how to do it nowadays too.

With that in mind, adding fake collision to an otherwise decorative piece of BSP or scenery is actually pretty easy since... .well.. I've been using goddam halo for 16 years.
With LargeBodyCollider Materials, you can even get fake geometry to recieve DECALS too. So hah.

TODO:

WD-40's plastic cap needs the groove for the straw, and it needs the little dimple from where the plastic is injected
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 24, 2020 at 01:46 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Custom Tags Feb 18, 2020 04:17 PM (Total replies: 5)

If you're just using pre-made tags you downloaded from other people:

1. Put the tags in the tag folder where they say they belong. Tags should contain a readme file describing where exactly they go.

2. Use Sapien to put those tags into your scenario.

3. Save the scenario then use tool to compile a map file containing that scenario. The map will compile directly into your map folder as whatever the scenario name is in lowercase so PoRkInSenSEN.scenario becomes porkinsensen.map etc etc.

Pretty simple. Just learn what you need to know from the guides. For simple basic modding, all you need to know is how to use sapien and like 3 tool commands
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 18, 2020 at 04:32 PM

Heh, it's definitely 3dsmax's fault! xD
But the HEK only allows smoothing through smoothgroups, so I guess that's that. .

That said, If you download or check out a ripped model with smooth groups already applied, you'll see that different things are in different smooth groups, based on their surface-normals

like a drinking-glass, the sides, bottom, rim, and handle each have surface normals that are close-enough to eachother that they can smoothen based on eachother. But as 'parts of a glass'(handle, base, walls....) they're different enough to need their own smooth groups so that 3dsmax can 'do it right'(90 degree angles probably wouldn't make sense to blend together)

Gotta be more selective with the things you put in the same smooth group.

And sometimes you'll have large flat surfaces that will never look good smoothed because they're flat to begin with, you can simply leave them unsmoothed and Halo will shader and gloss them as flat surfaces. Cubemaps also help too.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 13, 2020 at 03:18 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 13, 2020 at 09:05 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Multi-Installs of Halo? Feb 8, 2020 11:21 AM (Total replies: 2)

--snip//I typed waaay too much--

Copy and paste the actual install folder, the game works just fine without a reg entry.
The reg just contains an "install path(EXE Path)" and your ciphered CD key. Since you want to install OpenSauce, you could possibly change the EXE Path string to your new folder in the HaloCE reg entry. It's an HKLM entry, under wow6432node and Microsoft/Microsoft Games/

Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 8, 2020 at 04:59 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 8, 2020 at 05:02 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Spaien Crash Jan 27, 2020 07:44 PM (Total replies: 7)

If it's regular sapien it's probably crashing simply because your computer has multiple cores.

You can set its affinity from task manager or use third-party programs to patch it for uniprocessor
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're using OS sapien, then i'm guessing then that that's the wrong debug file and the one OS writes to is <yourDocuments>/My Games/Halo CE/OpenSauce/Reports/debug.txt
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 27, 2020 at 08:49 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 6, 2020 12:17 PM (Total replies: 14982)

It doesn't matter, it's still a replica-bungie-battle-rifle just like the last couple hundred that've been posted here over the decade

This entire argument is irrelevant, go back to DeviantArt and preach about the silly 'arttheft' sentiment with the other seagulls. This be halomaps
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM

well for the two numbers their effect would be

<lightmap quality> <falloff>

LightmapQuality is just a two-option switch between "test quality" lighting and "final quality" lighting.
And falloff would be how far the world's lighting could travel to light the map. So 0.9 would produce a dimmer map than 0.09, etc. etc.

Could also be one other thing: Halo maps usually have hidden, unrendered, lighting helpers as part of the original BSP(all of the 'old' ripping tools seem to hate ripping things that were flagged as no-render) and not reimplimenting them after a rip-job can cause poorly lit interiors.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 4, 2020 at 03:08 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Help: Vehicles Dec 26, 2019 10:04 PM (Total replies: 3)

Only six vehicles can be registered in globals.globals(never modify this without backing it up first), you'll have to delete an entry to make room for the pelican

Or if you don't want to sacrifice vehicle usage, give your pelicans unit names and spawn them with commands
Edited by OrangeJuice on Dec 26, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo on modern Mac Machine? [HELP] Dec 17, 2019 11:27 AM (Total replies: 4)

If wine on mac is anything like wine on linux, try a halo on linux tutorial

Halo CE General Discussion » pyr rotation to lefthanded XYZ Nov 22, 2019 10:43 AM (Total replies: 1)

Aviation Yaw, Pitch, and Roll

Yaw would be to look turn or steer left and right

Pitch would be to nose up and down. And:

Roll would be to roll, like turning a camera from landscape to portrait or cocking your head left or right

Aside from that, Halo assets are created facing +X rather than +Y in most other games so that might affect some things if you're ripping halo assets
Edited by OrangeJuice on Nov 23, 2019 at 04:11 AM

could have too many portals. (too many within visible range of eachother and they'll start to fight eachother)

or too few(going over the geometry budget)

or portals not placed in sane/safe locations for portaling

Or your bsp geometry is too simple to subdivide properly and needs more tesellation
Edited by OrangeJuice on Nov 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Time: Sat April 4, 2020 1:35 AM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website