A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: CAG Gonzo
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 6, 2015 04:45 PM
Interests: Creating environments and tags for CE
Your Age: 20
What Games do you play: All Halos (aside from Halo Wars)
Retreat? Hell! We just got here!

Post Statistics
CAG Gonzo has contributed to 647 posts out of 464604 total posts (.14%) in 3,098 days (.21 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Sep 6, 2015 04:45 PM (Total replies: 11367)

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
Can it walk?

I think it needs some legs... If you catch my drift ;)

what good would it be if it didn't? (I caught your entire blizzard)
https://i.gyazo.com/c9dad10ac5cfabf7415e8653d1777aee.png

Your almost finished! Add a soul now.

Needs moar cowbell.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Whelp Jun 9, 2015 06:24 PM (Total replies: 14)

I don't know about much about animation, but I'd say that your problem is a broken flux capacitor.

Halo CE General Discussion » Zeus Mar 25, 2015 07:38 PM (Total replies: 382)

I'm excited for this project, but curious to know if you developed any sort of development cycle plan(s) and how you have broken your desired abilities and functions into kernels for easier design and testing. Mostly, I'm interested in your client/server relationship and how you manage it, as well as how exactly you are able to play nicely with Halo's existed code.

Also, don't know if this was mentioned or not as I skipped most of the thread to avoid the whiners griping about not having anything tangible (an understandable complaint, but annoying nonetheless), but what language are you using, and what experience do you have with it?

You've certainly got your work cut out for you; something of this magnitude is by no means a stroll. If you come through with this project, whether it ends up at the developmental point you originally intended or not, you should rightfully be lauded with high praise.

ok, i want to know everything i can about your code and coding styles because that stuff interests me as a computer scientist

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: Composition Nov 30, 2014 11:55 PM (Total replies: 395)

Late comer, but definitely enjoyed what I've seen so far. The general premise of the story looks promising and the basic feel of gameplay stands well.

I love seeing more sideline action; things like Phantoms flying to other destinations, just to convey the feel of a larger force and goal at play (more than just when and where the player is concentrating), skirmishes on the side that have evidently been ongoing (not triggered to commence as the player gets near), and other things of the sort.

However, one major critique I have lies with your dialogue; your radio chatter is, well, cliche. It's understandable but unfortunate; Military Radio Comms 101 isn't exactly a required course in HS/College. As someone familiar with military aviation radio comms, I could provide feedback for planned dialogue to make it more closely parallel existing protocols and conventions (assuming, of course, such protocol and conventions remain in place 5 centuries in the future, which I believe they do, albeit with some modifications).

That said, my familiarity with ground comms is more limited, though I still believe the existing dialogue is cliche. Things like "Repeat, I'm doing blah" are overdone (and to be honest, outdated; "I say again" is now the correct verbiage).

Of course, this might feel like small potatoes compared to gameplay and plot, and you'd be correct. But those small details are so easily overlooked, even by Bungie and certainly by 343i (and most of Hollywood, while we're at it). It doesn't take much effort to touch base with someone in the know about radio protocols, or engagements, or whatever you're looking to recreate and produce something that feels worlds closer to an authentic, full-in military campaign.

Just my two cents. 9/10, would play.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Oct 14, 2014 08:52 PM (Total replies: 1627)

I did temporarily halt indefinitely postpone production on this map. Looking on some of my work in this thread makes me miss the days when coming up with great things was easier, and motivation was higher. Things are much different now. In a perfect world, I'd finish this SOB. Of course, in a perfect world, it'd already be done and a staple map in this community (after having undergone ample testing and iterative improvement).

Someone already mentioned my release statement thread and download link. Please, feel free to use it as you see fit but please don't forget about me in your credits! This map is one of two contributions I have made to this community and I'd like to know it's being put to good use and people know it, if for no one's benefit other than my own (so I can sleep at night).

I'd be happy to continue answering questions you have, and it's my dream to be consulted on Forerunner design.

also, haz extra campaign (with forerunner) bsp i started way long ago. didn't finish in lieu of working on requiem, but it definitely has merit of its own. do want?

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jun 13, 2014 10:52 PM (Total replies: 4973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
(I assume you mean modelling technique)

Well, the Magna Vi Artis Mark 1 and 2, as well as the Vereor Mark 2, were all plane modeled. The Magna Vi Artis Mark 3 (the current one with pictures and whatnot) is more box modeled. I have found that the box modelling actually saves a lot of polys (when I'm doing it anyway) though it's harder to put finer details in (which should really be left to textures anyway).

The reason I used box modelling for this is since I started with the forward section of the pelican (at CAG Gonzo's suggestion) and just kinda went form there.

The Vereor was inspired (read: badly copied) from a gunship from I think halowars. That's how I got the general shape. The Magna Vi Artis Mark one was sort of off a concept for a UNSC jet, and the Mark 2 was just free hand. The Mark 3, as mentioned, is kind of based off the GA-TL1, the F-117, and an unlimited supply of peanut gallery from Gonzo.

This. Funny guy.

I actually started with the forward section of the Pelican fuselage and tried to get a basic idea modeled. Unfortunately, my forte is BSPs and Forerunner architecture, not aircraft (or vehicles for that matter), so I gave up after 2 hours and passed it to Skidrow. He came back to me with a much better fuselage and I've been offering suggestions for improvement to get it up to where it is now. Fortunately, Skidrow is a good, competent modeler (internet red herrings aside) and was able to do justice to this beast.

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jun 13, 2014 10:48 PM (Total replies: 4973)

He has secret squirrel help from this guy.

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA Texture Requests Feb 19, 2014 03:12 PM (Total replies: 204)

Quote: --- Original message by: _Btcc22_

Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Programming is quite easy, PHP, Java, Python, HTML, C#, C++ and Perl are relatively easy to learn, even a 12 year old can learn now a days with the internet, no University/higher education needed >.>

Generally speaking, people who makes claims like this can't program or vastly overestimate their abilities. ;)
Edited by _Btcc22_ on Feb 19, 2014 at 03:05 PM

I wouldn't say that is the general case; PRPatxi makes a valid claim in that there are many avenues available through which many people, including those as young as 12, can learn the basics of a programming language. I'm in a volunteer organization that will be teaching some of these concepts and languages to children and middle-schoolers; we have two seven year olds signed up, and both are already familiar with a child-friendly language called Scratch.

However, programming is NOT always easy, as all who are familiar with the subject can attest. Getting back to the topic at hand, programming an extraction utility or the like isn't inherently too difficult. I am sure there are a number of obstacles to be overcome and edge cases to cover, but as mentioned previously, understanding and interpreting the model/asset format is tricky.

As a simple example, writing a program that sorts a list of numbers is easy...if you hard-code the list. If you want to read it from a file, say a CSV file, then you've got to do a bit more work to interface with the filetype and become familiar with the formal construction of that filetype in order to be able to do something useful with it.

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA Texture Requests Feb 17, 2014 02:59 PM (Total replies: 204)

Holy cow! If you can get me the Forerunner textures and BSPs for the Forerunner-themed levels (emphasis on b30 and b40), I would sing your name through the ages. Poets will write of you. Bards will sing of you. Warriors returning from battle will drink to your name.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT wants you!!!! Feb 17, 2014 02:51 PM (Total replies: 54)

I worry about time commitments, but I'd certainly enjoy being a part of a team responsible for bringing something really great to this community. My skills lie almost exclusively with Forerunner design, with a sub-speciality in terrain modeling.

My primary work is Requiem (my version), which is here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=33513&start=1471

It's the last page, which shows my most recent (if you can call it that) work, primarily Forerunner structures. I have a handful of other, private works that I could reveal if necessary.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Feb 10, 2014 12:13 PM (Total replies: 11367)

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Quote: --- Original message by: OHunterO
Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000

http://i.imgur.com/iyolOuE.jpg
Edited by Maniac1000 on Feb 10, 2014 at 02:53 AM

That looks great but it doesn't look very forerunner. I'm guessing you're going for a halo 4ish look.

Halo 4 looked like forerunner...

Well Halo 4 could be considered a deviation from the examples of Forerunner architecture shown throughout all the other games. So while Halo 4 officially looked like Forerunner, some people might not fully accept it as such due to the drastic differences. I don't fully accept Halo 4's Forerunner aesthetics for these reasons.

This. This right here. I'm not alone! Halo 4's design palette and architecture styling is interesting, for sure, but it just doesn't strike me as Forerunner; only a select few things register as Forerunner, given the established appearances and styles of previous games.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem: Extinction on Steroids...RELEASED Jan 27, 2014 02:52 PM (Total replies: 13)

I was operating on a kernel design principle (model, map, and in-game a section of the map instead of all at once) and completely finished red side and was able to get it into Sapein. The portals suck, and the lightmaps aren't spectacular, but it should be possible to turn it into a full-fledged map. Additionally, because it is sealed with the exception of the tunnel leading to the minimap, it is a self-standing map in its own right and could be released as is (almost); it just isn't a good map for aerial vehicles but it could be decently fun for a ground-only map.

You want me to post a link for downloading the necessary Sapien files (BSP, bitmaps and shaders, etc.)? If so, what server is best? I've only uploaded images, so I am unfamiliar with the pros and cons of various file hosting services, and this site hasn't been updated in months, from what I can tell.
Edited by CAG Gonzo on Jan 27, 2014 at 02:53 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem: Extinction on Steroids...RELEASED Jan 23, 2014 11:48 PM (Total replies: 13)

Quote: --- Original message by: Horeb
can you upload this file to other servers?!

Other servers?

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem: Extinction on Steroids...RELEASED Jan 23, 2014 10:54 PM (Total replies: 13)

Thanks! My hope is that someone better at making maps than I am will come along and pick up my pieces. I never got portalling down, and even when tool stopped whining about it, I still had clipping and portal glitches. No fun to see your work half gone because you have no idea which way a portal should face or even if one should be there.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem: Extinction on Steroids...RELEASED Jan 23, 2014 10:27 PM (Total replies: 13)

I can put up a .map file if you want. It won't do anything and will probably crash CE, but it will be in the format you prefer.

On that note, I'll edit my original post to be specific about what the download contains.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem: Extinction on Steroids...RELEASED Jan 23, 2014 10:01 PM (Total replies: 13)

It is with a heavy heart that I formally announce the release of my incomplete map, commonly known as Requiem (a now obsolete name, but the map never had a true name, anyway). I have already submitted the .max file to Halomaps, but for the impatient, here's a link:

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/492329/gonzo-requiem-zip.html

Note that this is my 3D source file, not a CE map file.

Thank you to all who were active on my older thread, providing invaluable feedback, critique, and most importantly, motivation. I learned a lot while working on this bad boy. I still plan to continue working on this off and on, but I feel it is unfair to keep it from the community any longer when someone can benefit from it right now.

Those of you who download and find a use for something you found in the file, if you could be so kind as to let me know, either on this thread, through PM, or xfire, how you're using it, I would sincerely appreciate it. I am curious to see what you can come up with!

I'm reachable by my xfire greengonzo (if you add me, let me know that you came from this thread; I deny random requests). I'm not done with CE, Halo, or 3D modeling...I'm just getting started. slowly...bute surely
Edited by CAG Gonzo on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Oct 16, 2013 09:33 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Updates:

I am basically done with blue addendum, aside from minor changes and, of course, mapping the darn thing. You will notice half of it is blue/horribly mapped while the other half gray. This is because the gray half is an instance, created to allow me to see how the whole addendum will look. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

http://postimg.org/gallery/6soq0gys/29d939da/

I'm feeling this is the final form for the addendum, more or less. The area will be merged with terrain and cliffs. Again, the openings in the ceiling are inspired from Hang 'em High. I originally wanted to stick with a simple exterior with only two spire structures that would hang over the ceiling openings, offering a nice view from within the addendum. But I have a soft spot for Forerunner walls, and so I copied and pasted the design to include more spires. The wall will offer more to view while providing a different way to add vertical cover and detail, breaking up the traditional cliff/valley range.

A side view of the outside, showing some of the detail I put on the exterior. I only put simple structures and insets here, knowing that this area is not a focal point of the map. I just needed something to break up the flat exterior.

Here you can see the outline of the interior. The chasm is not that deep and is relatively simple. It will feature fog and an energy conduit (running in the ditch). I was planning on putting more detail in the walls but decided against it, largely because I simply couldn't come up with anything I liked. The plus side is that I saved some polys.

Here's the entrance to the core of the addendum, now merged with the larger whole. I'm relatively pleased with the entrance, though I feel it is a bit forced and not all it could be. I may tweak it as ideas come to me. Chief is visible in the entrance. I'd say it's roughly 130% larger than the c10 swamp entrance.

A front shot of the entrance.

The rear of the addendum's core contains two c20 hallways (from the outer shaft); one will lead to blue base while the other will hint at structures below. As mentioned in an earlier post, blue base will be a modified version of Halo 4's Control BSP. The core hallway will let out to a smaller hallway (vehicle-friendly, possibly with a soldier-friendly alternate route) that will be semi-occluded by rocks and terrain in blue base, so no one can completely camp the entrance.

Blue base design will likely be next, as I am unmotivated to get started on mapping. The same thing happened to me with the minimap (which is basically done, too, but I haven't touched it because there is WAY too much to map).

Suggestions? Questions?

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Sep 13, 2013 09:22 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Until I can turn this into a map myself, or I wind up working with someone who can, anything tag-related is no longer on the agenda. Unfortunate, as I had some great ideas, but my only goal right now is making a BSP that is ready to be processed through tool, save for portalling.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Sep 13, 2013 09:15 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
It's going to be around 2500 km (according to 3ds Max).

2,500... kilometers? Isn't the original Extinction only like, five kilometers across? o_O

Nice catch. I was thinking 2500 meters but also got caught up in kilometers, as that's how I'm used to seeing waypoints on maps like these.

Ahh, 2,500 meters sounds more realistic. 2,500 kilometers would be like Oregon Trail, but with air strikes instead of dysentary.

Do want. So tempting to drop into a massive, unrelenting scale-up fest to make this map so insanely huge your mind will explode. But you'll get quality air play in, including coordinating with your team to establish pilot, CSO, ABM, RPA, and other such roles, and using aircraft armed with enough ordnance to blow Halo up...thrice.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Sep 13, 2013 09:07 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman
Quote: --- Original message by: Blublaze94
So, how much bigger is this map than Extinction? And will it use OpenSauce? If not, what is it's triangle count? (I may convert it to be in an xbox mappack if it's not too resource heavy)

It's on page 4 of this topic, scroll down to msg 129, I'd use a permalink to that direct post if I could, but I dunno if these forums actually have one :\

I highly doubt this will use OS, given the huge size of this map and the amount of coding required, but Gonzo can always clear things up for us.

I have no plans to use OS simply because I have no idea how to use it. I was under the impression that one applied OS to the tag-side of things, like in/through Guerilla, Sapien, etc., not in changes made to the BSP while in 3ds Max. But I could be wrong. I certainly agree with using OS, so if anyone wants to use my BSP with OS, I'm a-ok with that.

It's going to be around 2500 km (according to 3ds Max).

2,500... kilometers? Isn't the original Extinction only like, five kilometers across? o_O

Nice catch. I was thinking 2500 meters but also got caught up in kilometers, as that's how I'm used to seeing waypoints on maps like these.

Time: Sun September 24, 2017 10:50 PM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website