A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: sargejohnson
About Contact
Last Post: May 12, 2016 07:25 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Shall we play a game?
AIM:
MSN IM:
Yahoo IM:

Post Statistics
sargejohnson has contributed to 855 posts out of 452509 total posts (.19%) in 2,599 days (.33 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Relay May 12, 2016 07:25 AM (Total replies: 77)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
I'm trying to figure out how I should pack the data to send.

I'm doing the "device groups" memory table, which is 8248 bytes in total. I check to see which values change in it, and then I have two options:

A) If a value changes, send the entire 8248 bytes of the memory table over the wire to each client. (That would be after having checked all the values in the memory table, so only once per check cycle, not once per value change within each check cycle.) So that means sending the whole memory table over in its changed state, and basically overwriting the player's device groups memory table in its entirety. This is very simple, but might make it difficult for when I want to compare what has changed on the client's side also. (Which brings to mind, "never trust the player", but oh well.)

B) Collect all the changed values, including their respective indices, and send them over to all the clients. The index would be a set 4 bytes in size (an integer). This would generally be a less amount of data to send, unless we're dealing with highly volatile memory tables, such as AI. But for device groups, this should be preferable.

I was thinking of using Base64 encoding, but that's not necessary if I'm just going to have the same encoding format. See, the sizes of values can be ascertained based upon their index value, so I don't even need to specify how many values I'm sending (in fact, it would be better to not do that).

Sending over only the changed values should be more efficient.
Also, interesting article (not sure how relevant, but should be a fun read):
http://ithare.com/udp-for-games-security-encryption-and-ddos-protection/

Halo CE General Discussion » A simple networking question May 12, 2016 07:12 AM (Total replies: 1)

I am not sure about how relevant (or useful) this source is, but I think this could help:
http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm
This person basically did quite a bit of research, and this links to the results of that research.

Also, if you want to you can try a Wireshark capture of the moment that you join a Halo server, see what you can learn from there.
Edited by sargejohnson on May 12, 2016 at 07:14 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Lan party gaming Jan 3, 2015 03:37 AM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maiku3
Get the Halo CE Dedicated server app, install sapp on it(will remove cd-key check). And use that to play on lan.

That's weird, IIRC SAPP doesn't remove CD-key checks. It did have such an option ("sv_cdkeycheck 0" I think) several versions ago, but that option has disappeared. Only Gandanur has such options now (the unrestricted version).

I personally do not recommend running the Halo CE game and server on the same PC, but have you tried checking that the ports used in the game are different from the ports used by the server?

For instance, if you do not want to change the port settings in the game, create a .bat file that starts your haloded.exe with the switch "-port (unused UDP port such as 2390 here)", without the quotes and brackets. Then start your server using that .bat file, and edit your port forwarding for your PC and your router(s) accordingly to the new port used by your server.

For more info see http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=239.

Halo CE General Discussion » Field Of View(FOV) May 18, 2014 05:26 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: ChieftainSnipe
What's the best FOV for MLG players?
The FOV doesn't make you pro, the pros adjust their FOV as they get better or need more.

You know, I don't think he's being serious...

And I don't think you picked up his sarcasm bro.

Interesting.
But enough of this.

Halo CE General Discussion » Field Of View(FOV) May 18, 2014 04:59 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: ChieftainSnipe
What's the best FOV for MLG players?
The FOV doesn't make you pro, the pros adjust their FOV as they get better or need more.

You know, I don't think he's being serious...

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » I feel obligated to share this information Apr 30, 2014 08:09 AM (Total replies: 13)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
No I would say that the original version of tool that Bungie used didn't have all the finicky checks that our version does.

Aha! I thus suspected!

I guess Bungie figured out that the engine would not tolerate certain things, and thus decided to add the checks for our version so that we don't compile otherwise error-filled maps and get weird crashes without ever finding out why.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Memory Error Feb 8, 2014 04:35 AM (Total replies: 19)

No, from the .scenario before you compile it.
Add the tags one by one and see which one is giving you the error when you compile.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Home Dedicated Server issues Jan 10, 2014 06:41 AM (Total replies: 8)

Never run the server and game Halo CE on the same machine, and try to use different physical PCs to host the server and the clients respectively. If you absolutely have to, use a virtual machine for the server and run it on different ports, like what you are doing now, and join the server using the Halo CE game installed in the actual PC.

Quote: --- Original message by: Not Inferno

Shouldn't you be playing SAO or something?

Jokes aside, yes, the engine will be open source. I need to hire a lawyer at some point to write a terms of use though.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 6, 2013 at 02:14 AM

You could try the GNU GPL, or some of its other variants like the LGPL. No expert in law though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Cannot see chat Dec 5, 2013 01:42 AM (Total replies: 19)

While the OP has already fixed his problem, I generally recommend people download MSXML 4.0 SP3 instead. It is still supported by MS (meaning that it gets updates and security fixes) unlike SP2 (which ended support in 2010), and can be used in place of MSXML 4.0 SP2 with the same functionality.

Do note that you should uninstall SP2 first before downloading and installing SP3.
The link is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bastian27starscream's Halo 4 Tag Pack Realase! Oct 13, 2013 01:18 AM (Total replies: 45)

...what's up with the Elite's plasma rifle anims in the picts? The hand shouldn't be in the PR like that...

Halo CE General Discussion » Tool acting like wut? Oct 7, 2013 03:20 AM (Total replies: 1)

Open the Halo Custom Edition folder, and click the "Compatibility Files" button. Then, go into the maps folder and delete the dodgulch map file in there.

Next time, run the compilation and map editing tools as administrator. Windows Vista and above save map files compiled in non-admin mode into a compatibility folder, which is different from the map folder but still readable by Halo Custom Edition.

PS: please post such questions in the Halo CE Technical Discussion board next time :)

Halo CE General Discussion » connection Sep 25, 2013 02:59 AM (Total replies: 48)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2988580412.png

That's...kinda lopsided.
Are you like, on DSL or something?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » can't join my dedicated server Jul 27, 2013 12:12 AM (Total replies: 4)

Define "everything halomaps has had to offer on dedicated servers". I will assume you have configured your firewall(s) and router(s) appropriately since others can join your dedi.
Also, from personal experience, do NOT run a dedi on the same computer as your Halo client. They WILL have resource and port use conflicts. Always run a dedi on a separate computer or in a virtual machine with bridged NAT.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics) Jul 1, 2013 02:24 AM (Total replies: 9)

@OP: Not too sure about what to do now, maybe try these.
1. Fiddle around with the anisotropic settings (change them from application-controlled to any of the settings listed there), see if it works (I know anisotropic filtering may not be anti-aliasing, but we can try).
2. Uninstall Halo CE (and delete the folder C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\My Games\Halo CE and the folder in Program Files containing Halo previously), run CCleaner (both the file and registry cleaner, multiple times until no trace of registry error is found) to remove all traces of Halo CE, then reinstall Halo CE.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics) Jun 30, 2013 01:38 AM (Total replies: 9)

Anisotropic filtering != Anti-aliasing
Try looking through all of the settings one by one and look specifically for anti-aliasing (or anything mentioning it).

Also, by "no patches installed" do you mean you are running Halo CE 1.00 (ie without the latest 1.09 update), or you are running the latest version of Halo CE (1.09) but with no third-party patches (eg. OpenSauce) installed?
If it is the former, try updating to 1.09 and see if the problem persists.

Apart from the solutions posted above, you also need to check if the AI bipeds have the necessary animations to enter the vehicles. EG. W-driver can be entered by Spartans but not by the default Halo 1 marines (basically whatever that the seat label for each particular seat is named).

IIRC HEK+ doesn't have an installer, if you download from the Halomaps website you just need to extract the files then run the HEK+ program.
The HEK+ program can be downloaded from here:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2289

If it does require .NET 1.1 though, download and install this version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33

Halo CE General Discussion » suggestions for site May 15, 2013 10:47 AM (Total replies: 130)

Quote: --- Original message by: P3

Also, it's not such a good idea because trolls would have another way to troll people by rating someone as bad.
Edited by P3 on May 14, 2013 at 05:45 PM

Maybe allow only older users to rate, and allow one vote per account per day? Limits the amount of damage from abuse. Is there a way to improve this?

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
That is not a reputation thing.
Reputation points wont stop spammers or trolls. Ignoring them is the only way.

And yes, this is the only guaranteed way to deter trolling and spamming. Its impossible to stop trolls and spammers completely but at least damage control is possible and more effective with the suggested measures in place, and in combination with Maniac1000's suggestion would be a very effective deterrent.

Speaking of which, I got some of my ideas from here:
http://www.cracked.com/article_16765_5-ways-to-stop-trolls-from-killing-internet.html
Yes, its a comedy site, but it makes some valid points there. 1 and 2 are a little extreme though, and even I would personally oppose those.

Edited by sargejohnson on May 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Time: Tue May 31, 2016 5:40 PM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website