A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: sargejohnson
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 20, 2014 12:58 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Ingame: sj-hmaps, a fish
AIM:
MSN IM:
Yahoo IM:

Post Statistics
sargejohnson has contributed to 852 posts out of 410858 total posts (.21%) in 1,952 days (.44 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I personally do not recommend running the Halo CE game and server on the same PC, but have you tried checking that the ports used in the game are different from the ports used by the server?

For instance, if you do not want to change the port settings in the game, create a .bat file that starts your haloded.exe with the switch "-port (unused UDP port such as 2390 here)", without the quotes and brackets. Then start your server using that .bat file, and edit your port forwarding for your PC and your router(s) accordingly to the new port used by your server.

For more info see http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=239.

Halo CE General Discussion » Field Of View(FOV) May 18, 2014 05:26 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: ChieftainSnipe
What's the best FOV for MLG players?
The FOV doesn't make you pro, the pros adjust their FOV as they get better or need more.

You know, I don't think he's being serious...

And I don't think you picked up his sarcasm bro.

Interesting.
But enough of this.

Halo CE General Discussion » Field Of View(FOV) May 18, 2014 04:59 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
Quote: --- Original message by: ChieftainSnipe
What's the best FOV for MLG players?
The FOV doesn't make you pro, the pros adjust their FOV as they get better or need more.

You know, I don't think he's being serious...

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » I feel obligated to share this information Apr 30, 2014 08:09 AM (Total replies: 13)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Quote: --- Original message by: The Cereal Killer
No I would say that the original version of tool that Bungie used didn't have all the finicky checks that our version does.

Aha! I thus suspected!

I guess Bungie figured out that the engine would not tolerate certain things, and thus decided to add the checks for our version so that we don't compile otherwise error-filled maps and get weird crashes without ever finding out why.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Memory Error Feb 8, 2014 04:35 AM (Total replies: 19)

No, from the .scenario before you compile it.
Add the tags one by one and see which one is giving you the error when you compile.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Home Dedicated Server issues Jan 10, 2014 06:41 AM (Total replies: 8)

Never run the server and game Halo CE on the same machine, and try to use different physical PCs to host the server and the clients respectively. If you absolutely have to, use a virtual machine for the server and run it on different ports, like what you are doing now, and join the server using the Halo CE game installed in the actual PC.

Quote: --- Original message by: Not Inferno

Shouldn't you be playing SAO or something?

Jokes aside, yes, the engine will be open source. I need to hire a lawyer at some point to write a terms of use though.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 6, 2013 at 02:14 AM

You could try the GNU GPL, or some of its other variants like the LGPL. No expert in law though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Cannot see chat Dec 5, 2013 01:42 AM (Total replies: 19)

While the OP has already fixed his problem, I generally recommend people download MSXML 4.0 SP3 instead. It is still supported by MS (meaning that it gets updates and security fixes) unlike SP2 (which ended support in 2010), and can be used in place of MSXML 4.0 SP2 with the same functionality.

Do note that you should uninstall SP2 first before downloading and installing SP3.
The link is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bastian27starscream's Halo 4 Tag Pack Realase! Oct 13, 2013 01:18 AM (Total replies: 45)

...what's up with the Elite's plasma rifle anims in the picts? The hand shouldn't be in the PR like that...

Halo CE General Discussion » Tool acting like wut? Oct 7, 2013 03:20 AM (Total replies: 1)

Open the Halo Custom Edition folder, and click the "Compatibility Files" button. Then, go into the maps folder and delete the dodgulch map file in there.

Next time, run the compilation and map editing tools as administrator. Windows Vista and above save map files compiled in non-admin mode into a compatibility folder, which is different from the map folder but still readable by Halo Custom Edition.

PS: please post such questions in the Halo CE Technical Discussion board next time :)

Halo CE General Discussion » connection Sep 25, 2013 02:59 AM (Total replies: 48)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2988580412.png

That's...kinda lopsided.
Are you like, on DSL or something?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » can't join my dedicated server Jul 27, 2013 12:12 AM (Total replies: 4)

Define "everything halomaps has had to offer on dedicated servers". I will assume you have configured your firewall(s) and router(s) appropriately since others can join your dedi.
Also, from personal experience, do NOT run a dedi on the same computer as your Halo client. They WILL have resource and port use conflicts. Always run a dedi on a separate computer or in a virtual machine with bridged NAT.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics) Jul 1, 2013 02:24 AM (Total replies: 9)

@OP: Not too sure about what to do now, maybe try these.
1. Fiddle around with the anisotropic settings (change them from application-controlled to any of the settings listed there), see if it works (I know anisotropic filtering may not be anti-aliasing, but we can try).
2. Uninstall Halo CE (and delete the folder C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\My Games\Halo CE and the folder in Program Files containing Halo previously), run CCleaner (both the file and registry cleaner, multiple times until no trace of registry error is found) to remove all traces of Halo CE, then reinstall Halo CE.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Halo UI Not Loading (Intel Graphics) Jun 30, 2013 01:38 AM (Total replies: 9)

Anisotropic filtering != Anti-aliasing
Try looking through all of the settings one by one and look specifically for anti-aliasing (or anything mentioning it).

Also, by "no patches installed" do you mean you are running Halo CE 1.00 (ie without the latest 1.09 update), or you are running the latest version of Halo CE (1.09) but with no third-party patches (eg. OpenSauce) installed?
If it is the former, try updating to 1.09 and see if the problem persists.

Apart from the solutions posted above, you also need to check if the AI bipeds have the necessary animations to enter the vehicles. EG. W-driver can be entered by Spartans but not by the default Halo 1 marines (basically whatever that the seat label for each particular seat is named).

IIRC HEK+ doesn't have an installer, if you download from the Halomaps website you just need to extract the files then run the HEK+ program.
The HEK+ program can be downloaded from here:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2289

If it does require .NET 1.1 though, download and install this version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33

Halo CE General Discussion » suggestions for site May 15, 2013 10:47 AM (Total replies: 130)

Quote: --- Original message by: P3

Also, it's not such a good idea because trolls would have another way to troll people by rating someone as bad.
Edited by P3 on May 14, 2013 at 05:45 PM

Maybe allow only older users to rate, and allow one vote per account per day? Limits the amount of damage from abuse. Is there a way to improve this?

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
That is not a reputation thing.
Reputation points wont stop spammers or trolls. Ignoring them is the only way.

And yes, this is the only guaranteed way to deter trolling and spamming. Its impossible to stop trolls and spammers completely but at least damage control is possible and more effective with the suggested measures in place, and in combination with Maniac1000's suggestion would be a very effective deterrent.

Speaking of which, I got some of my ideas from here:
http://www.cracked.com/article_16765_5-ways-to-stop-trolls-from-killing-internet.html
Yes, its a comedy site, but it makes some valid points there. 1 and 2 are a little extreme though, and even I would personally oppose those.

Edited by sargejohnson on May 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » suggestions for site May 14, 2013 09:51 AM (Total replies: 130)

Just a few suggestions, but before that...

I understand how hard it is to grant random users permission to the administrative tools of this site due to mistrust, because any sane person would not do so for the same reasons. You can't trust any person to not somehow abuse these tools and cause serious damage to the site. Also, I do understand that Dennis has real life issues to tackle, and that this site isn't his only job. Basically, he's the guy who kept this forum online for us (not to mention the community, but that's a story for another time), and managing a site with many users isn't exactly easy.

That said, I have a few suggestions (they are imperfect, but then again when was antivirus perfect?) that would help to improve the security of this forum and (hopefully) reduce the amount of troll and spam content of the forum.

1. As previous users have suggested, a reputation system to let the community play a part in stopping trolls and spam.

2. Limited privilege use for the administrative tools of the site (ie. at most "Delete this topic" and "Delete this post") for selected moderators. These moderators have to apply for the position, and meet certain criteria before even being considered. For example,
- Having consistent post and forum activity, such as at least 1 non-spam post every 2 weeks with no record of spam/trolling/malicious activity.
- Having shown reasonable maturity in posts and forum activity, such as using proper grammar and spelling where appropriate.
- And other considerations.
The moderator should be approved by Dennis himself, and (in the future, should there be a community of moderators) supported by at least 2 other moderators. The moderator's permissions can also be revoked at any time by Dennis.

3. Captcha (I recommend Google's ReCAPTCHA as doing so also helps with translating books into OCR format for digital storage, so its two birds with one stone there) for every activity on the forum, such as posting and creating new topics, possibly at logins as well to prevent bots and detect account brute-forcing.

4. Scheduled "fuzzing" (ie. penetration testing) and logging of activity of the site to reduce the amount of security loopholes that people can exploit and as a result abuse the site.

If any one has issues about these suggestions, feel free to point them out and suggest better options.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI & Wraith May 9, 2013 05:41 AM (Total replies: 5)

For the Wraiths being indestructable, that may have to do with the Wraiths allowing only damage from explosive weapons, eg. the Rocket Launcher/Fuel Rod Gun. Do a few more tests and see if that's the case. If so, you need to edit the Wraith's .vehicle tag, specifically the .model_collision_geometry.
To do so, open up the Wraith's .vehicle tag in Guerrila, and look for a field called collision geometry. Open whatever file is referenced by that field, and in the new window that opens look under flags. Uncheck/check whichever flags you want (they should be pretty self-explanatory), save the tag and open the map again in Sapien before recompiling the map.

To make the Elites move around in a Ghost, you need more than just firing positions for their encounters. You also need to ensure that the vehicle allows the AI to do so. Open up the Ghost's .vehicle tag in Guerrila, scroll all the way down until you see a section called $$$ VEHICLE $$$. In that section, under flags, ensure that "driver power wakes physics", "ai driver can-sidestep" and "ai driver hovering" is checked, and that "ai unused" is unchecked. Save the Ghost's .vehicle tag, and open the scenario in Sapien before recompiling the map.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI & Wraith May 8, 2013 10:58 AM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kraavchenko
How exactly or can I have the AI use the Wraiths?

The AI you have must have animations to enter the Wraiths. One way to do this is to make new animations for the AI's bipeds. This has the advantage of ensuring that their animations make sense when they enter the Wraiths, but doing so will take a longer time and require some skills in animating using software such as 3DS Max.

The other option involves changing the Wraith's seat label to something that your AI has existing animations for using Guerrila. For example, AI Spartans can use a variety of animations such as W-driver, W-passenger among others, so to allow them to be able to pilot Wraiths you need to change the Wraith's seat label to, say, W-driver instead of wraith-driver. To do so, open the .vehicle tag of the Wraith, look for a sections called SEATS and under it look for a field called label. Modifiy this field to an animation that your AI has.

Regardless of which option you choose from the above, you also need to tell the AI to actively seek out the Wraith(s) ingame and enter them before they can use the Wraith(s). To do so, you can use command lists or scripting.
The former can be done within Sapien (look under AI -> command lists and create a new instance. Under the new command list you just created uncheck the option "Allow initiative", and under commands create a new command with atom type vehicle, modifier driver and appropriate vehicle distance ie. the distance within which you want your AI to enter the Wraith's driver seat. Finally, under the specific spawn points for the AI encounter you want as the Wraith drivers, make sure that their command list field is set to the name of the command list you just created.), but has the disadvantage of making the AI enter ANY vehicle with a driver seat within the command list's vehicle distance radius, Wraith or not.
The latter requires some scripting knowledge, and that you know the name of the encounter/squads within the encounter you want as the Wraith drivers, as well as the ingame object name of the Wraiths. I would suggest you look up the Halo Scripting Bible (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2809), see the available commands and create your own script, but generally should look something like this:

### Anything after the 3 hexes is a comment, so remove them.
(script continuous wraith_enter_script ### This makes the script continuous, but you can also make it startup.
(vehicle_load_magic wraith_encounter\wraith_squad W-driver wraith1)
### This method makes the AI teleport into the Wraith immediately, but looks unnatural.

(ai_go_to_vehicle wraith_encounter\wraith_squad2 wraith2 W-driver)
### This method makes the AI walk/run to the Wraith, but isn't immediate.
)

Quote:
Also how do I get my AI to walk around, instead of standing in one place after spawning?

For this, the AI encounters need to have firing positions. They can be randomly placed at a reasonable distance from each other, such that they are close enough for the AI to register them as accessible firing positions but far enough to allow for movement.

Time: Sat August 23, 2014 2:44 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website