A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Sinow
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 18, 2017 09:51 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Everybody Lies

Post Statistics
Sinow has contributed to 137 posts out of 461384 total posts (.03%) in 2,893 days (.05 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS_Tool data file corruption Feb 18, 2017 09:51 PM (Total replies: 8)

Ah, I've been into HCE since around 06, and have worked with a variety of people, and have a quite a number of projects... but I'm one of those people that never considers anything finished, and by the time I do, someone else with more skills has done the same thing. I mainly use Halo to quickly test my level design on new BSPs, when FarCry4 is too limiting and CryEngine takes too long to set up a level.

I wrote a wall of text to describe what I've done and what I'm doing, but meh.

That said, I've always needed OS since it came out, since memory upgrades and scripts are practically a necessity on all my maps. I make a crepeload of SP maps. Lots of stuff that I feel like I'll be unnecessarily tooting my horn by listing it, and I can't tell you how humbled I feel by being back here and seeing all the progress made lol.

Basically the only skills required by HCE that I don't think I have an in-depth understanding of is in 3D modelling, which is severely limiting. =(

Edit: is the minimum radiosity the ambient radiosity power/color at the top of the sky tag, or ambient color in the BSP/materials?
Edited by Sinow on Feb 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS_Tool data file corruption Feb 18, 2017 09:01 PM (Total replies: 8)

Ohhhhh sick, I never knew that. Thanks a bunch, those two things have bugged me for... ever. I appreciate your time.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS_Tool data file corruption Feb 18, 2017 08:50 PM (Total replies: 8)

Thanks, I've never actually run radiosity in all my years. My issue is, many BSPs I use are way, way too dark in shady areas, and adjusting brightness makes things too bright in the light areas. No way to fix that without Max I assume?

If only I spent my time learning 3d modelling.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS_Tool data file corruption Feb 18, 2017 08:15 PM (Total replies: 8)

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

...would you by any chance know how to save the modified lightmaps/BSP after editing it in Sapien? lol

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » OS_Tool data file corruption Feb 18, 2017 05:56 PM (Total replies: 8)

Hey guys, its been a good while, just wondering if anyone experienced in OS can fix this problem for me, which I have been ignoring for about a year and a half until now.

Until now, Every 25 or so map compiles suddenly makes os_tool say "invalid data format in bitmaps" or something along those lines then exception (and that's all it knew), but my logs were deleted when I reinstalled. It did so for loc and sounds as well, and once the error occurred, any scenario would exception upon compilation, regardless if regular tool or OS without memory upgrades.

I was always running "os_tool build-cache-file-ex "" 0 1 1 scentest" and that command has always worked for me.
The way I fixed it was simply copying and pasting the original data files into my maps folder, and it would fix it temporarily. Naturally I uninstalled OS, HEK, and HCE in that order, cleared out the folder (I did keep my tags and data folders in the directory, its... a lot of data to move, but I did revert my globals) and reinstalled, but the issue persists, sometimes I have to completely reinstall to be able to compile again.

Any ideas? The only other errors I get are a flood of "invalid bitmap type in <whatever>" in Sapien that slows my computer and fills my screen until I use error_suppress_all, but I'm guessing its from certain textures that I put as interface bitmaps so I could push them to 2048. Also I just realized I replaced some rasterizer textures in my globals, but I'm pretty confident that this was happening before that.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 22, 2014 01:47 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Out of curiosity, how are you gonna do equipment?

I have a few ideas, the equipment itself works mostly great, the only problem are the animations and using a different button... I heard somewhere someone got them to work, but can't for the life of me remember who or how or when.

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
If you have some custom fx, I wouldn't mind seeing them. When you have the time :D

No else even bothers with fx, and at risk of annoying altis. I'm not too sure why.

I didn't even know altis did FX, I myself have been doing them for years. I'd be happy to make a video of all the CE content of the H3 tagset I've made, 'tis what I'm focusing on now to go along with the SP levels.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 21, 2014 02:06 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
If you don't mind, I would like to do the fx for this project.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/aa9mz5dt90w0h9o/%7Bssmt%7D+testingrange+h3+fx.rar

Something I did, earlier. /\

I honestly wouldn't mind at all, but I'm trying to keep the effects as true to the original game as possible and also create custom ones, these are a little far off and I've already made some very accurate reproductions of them. But, you should keep working on them, and when the tagset is finished you can easily merge them.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Quote: --- Original message by: Sinow

A lot, if not all, of them lack cubemaps.

For some objects, that is crucial when recreating their Halo 3 appearance.

Adjutant should help with locating the right ones.
Edited by Dumb AI on Jul 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I know its crucial, the point was to use values and bitmaps exactly as in the H3 shaders, almost every weapon uses Gray 50% as the cubemap, which is what I use in these. They are not lacking; a few covenant weapons use mirror reflection or ark sky, but the majority are the same.

The grey bitmap is not constructed like as cubemap. I think it's more of an overlay than a proper cubemap.

Its my understanding that every H3 level has sets of cubemaps for every area, problem is we can't really use that in conjunction, I figure an overlay would be more accurate for a general purpose or environment than a single specific cube, but I'll see what I can do.

I seriously need some help with this, its pretty much as far as I'll go with the tagset since I'll only have time and energy for the (custom) campaign, and I'm sure many people would like to see it more fleshed out.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 20, 2014 10:47 AM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Heatguts
So I was looking through the characters and I'm now wondering if you intend to do the brutes and their combat forms.

I personally hate the Brutes and thus won't be doing them, nobody has done them well anyway. If I can get their Flood forms then yes I would do those.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 20, 2014 08:13 AM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Axees
The scenery reminds me of the first mission from Halo 3 :D

I really like your weapon shaders, and the vehicles look good too. I really like the bipeds as well, I can't really go into detail about anything because I have no criticism. Good job. I had just one question, why'd you make the elite eyes red? I assume it's a preferance thing.

Thanks, that's what I intended. About the Elite eyes, I didn't actually work on them, I had a lot of things to fix up and the eyes didn't seem too important to me, but by the Prophets, they will be done.

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Deja vu

ikr

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
I assume you're using my HUD (at the time I tried to look at the picture links, IMGur was down)

Let me know if I can be of assistance with anything HUD related.

Thanks Jess, truth is I didn't find anything wrong with the HUD at all, I was planning on doing that as well but figuring out how to slant/curve it properly was too tedious (I've had enough tedious UI work to last me half my lifetime) and if it ain't broke, no need to fix it. However, I was working on Sandtrap for testing sand and such, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try the same thing on a map I know is complete.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 20, 2014 at 08:24 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 10:44 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Heatguts
So will this tagset require OS? Or just the super shaders?

Personally I don't use OS, and so it would be nice to have this ideal tagset for .maps.

Only the shaders; I myself preferred not to use OS so I sympathize, I haven't really worked on it but I'll try to get the non-OS shaders looking as best I can.

A lot, if not all, of them lack cubemaps.

For some objects, that is crucial when recreating their Halo 3 appearance.

Adjutant should help with locating the right ones.
Edited by Dumb AI on Jul 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I know its crucial, the point was to use values and bitmaps exactly as in the H3 shaders, almost every weapon uses Gray 50% as the cubemap, which is what I use in these. They are not lacking; a few covenant weapons use mirror reflection or ark sky, but the majority are the same.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
If these were cleaned up, I'd love to use them in Sierra 117

I'm not sure what you mean by cleaned up, but if you're referring to the tagset, I'm pretty anal about keeping my files completely organized and well-named, I don't use the original structure that H3 uses, I reorganized everything to be exactly where you think they would be, there are no stranded, unused tags and everything needed is either part of the CE vanilla tagset or within the Halo 3 folder itself.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 05:07 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: PopeAK49
Nice. Good plan on focusing on the assets rather than the missions/levels.

I've spent the last 5 years doing the exact opposite.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 04:01 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: HattyHattington
Very good and VERY accurate looking, I'm very impressed. I think I see the same rigging error from my Halo 3 flood infection forms so I'm going to assume you are using them. I am remaking them with new animations so if you want, i'll message you when they are done.

That would be a great help, I would really appreciate it!

Quote: --- Original message by: PopeAK49
I'd rather play some custom missions rather than imported missions. But, like, that's my opinion man.

I definitely agree. The whole point of the tagset is to be able to customize the game as if it were Halo 3; I can't deny that having the BSPs would be awesome, but I would still be working on my own campaign levels as I am now.

Thanks for all the positive comments dudes, any and all help is truly appreciated, I wanted to get a substantial amount of work done myself before putting it out there but there's still a lot to be done, right now what's most needed is anyone with experience modelling so Gravemind and I can properly fix up the models to get them ingame for more accuracy, but that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 02:50 PM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mystryb0y

The problem are Zteam's models, concerning the screwed up normals.

Ah.
That can be easily fixed by re-doing the shaders using Open Sauce and the original (not fakebumped) bitmaps from H3.
I can send you a pack of them if you'd like.
Edited by Mystryb0y on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:50 PM

I am using OS shaders.

The assault rifle was the only FP model I could find where the OS shader actually looked much better without any changes, the problem seems to be in the models themselves.
To make it clearer: the Zteam FP model was decent, but the one in these images was better, though I made no changes to the actual shader, the normals were for some reason better, IE the shadow or whatever on the silver part of the gun actually showed up, instead of being uniformly darkened or brightened, if you know what I'm talking about. If you want an example I can get a comparison image.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:51 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Mystryb0y
a few campaign levels

You mean to say you've ported a Halo 3 BSP?

No. But I have a few really cool levels I'm working on using the tagset.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:53 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral
Hey, my I ask what cube map are you using?
Edited by Spiral on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:46 PM

Whatever cube map the shader specifies, though usually just the Gray 50% bitmap.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:56 PM
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 03:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 02:48 PM (Total replies: 37)

The problem are Zteam's models, concerning the screwed up normals.

I found the shininess to be much more accurate under the correct lighting; unfortunately, as everyone knows, the CE lighting engine sucks, but if I can get the lighting right everything will look even better. I don't use multipurpose maps unless its necessary for specific reflection masks or change color or illumination, it interferes with the lighting.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:50 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Halo 3 CE Project Jul 19, 2014 02:33 PM (Total replies: 37)

I hope you clicked this hoping to beat down yet another noob requesting tags or a team to make yet another Halo 3 revamp lol.

Though I know there are many released versions of weapons, vehicles, HUD, etc. but, with the exception of the HUD by Jesse, none of them have been very accurate, in terms of the look of Halo 3.

I have spent the last half a year painfully piecing together a completely accurate Halo 3 tagset with the assets that I have found, by a lot of different authors, though honestly I cannot remember half of them.

I intend to make this completely open source, once I have found the help I need to make the tagset more fleshed-out, though as of now I have almost every vehicle, every weapon, and a few characters, all with their exact values and looks as they are in Halo 3, with unaltered assets (obviously extracted with Adjutant). I want everyone to have access to a true-to-H3 tagset that we can all modify and use as if it were truly an H3CE, despite all the limitations. I wanted to make a video and put it up for CE3, but there was simply too much to get ready, and I figured it didn't really make a difference.

These are all still work in progress, as everything always is, but in my opinion still look a lot better than any others I've seen. So, if you're interested, want to help or anything, check out these screenshots. If not, gtfo and idgaf.

Weapons: http://imgur.com/a/yBPkK#10

Vehicles: http://imgur.com/a/5e1hs#11

Characters: http://imgur.com/a/Kkz7I

Scenery: http://imgur.com/a/JttY7

There are more characters and scenery, as well as a few campaign levels, accurate particle effects, music and any other sounds (uncompressed sounds and sound_loopings as in H3 scenarios), and CE scenery with H3 textures, which actually look excellent and have been the perfect replacement for scenery which I haven't been able to get directly from the game.

So, yeah, whatevs.

EDIT: Had to use Zteam's FP arms although I had better ones, I couldn't be bothered to fix the markers for the animations in time.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 19, 2014 at 02:36 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant 3.2.0.0 - Release Feb 5, 2014 07:08 PM (Total replies: 834)

This is just so depressing. I actually hate reading the majority of threads because they literally depress me.
This whole community should simply disband. Dennis' life would be easier, your life would be easier, everyone's life would be easier; or at the very least, all this unnecessary dramatic BS would stay between private messages and not affect those who simply want information and map sharing, without having to dive into a septic tank to get them.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Detail Objects in Sapien but not Ingame Aug 25, 2013 08:27 PM (Total replies: 2)

Title says it all. I can see them just fine in Sapien, but they're completely gone ingame. I'm playing on max settings.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Startup Exceptions Jul 7, 2013 01:11 PM (Total replies: 6)

I wouldn't be asking for help if I hadn't ruled out the obvious.
Everything in sapien works fine, AI, weapons, etc etc. No crashing, no errors, nothing.
Yes its singleplayer and I haven't modified the globals in any way, and all other scenarios that use the exact same tags work fine.

EDIT: Someone delete the double post, dunno why it posted twice.
Edited by Sinow on Jul 7, 2013 at 01:11 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Startup Exceptions Jul 7, 2013 01:11 PM (Total replies: 6)

I wouldn't be asking for help if I hadn't ruled out the obvious.
Everything in sapien works fine, AI, weapons, etc etc. No crashing, no errors, nothing.
Yes its singleplayer and I haven't modified the globals in any way, and all other scenarios that use the exact same tags work fine.

Halo CE General Discussion » Scripting Thread Jun 24, 2013 05:37 PM (Total replies: 244)

Just thought I'd contribute a bit, I made a health regeneration script a while back and forgot about it until now. Note, I changed the default cyborg biped's health and shield to 100 instead of 75, so this won't work right off the bat unless you change some values either in the script or tags.

(script static unit Player
(unit (list_get (players) 0)))

(script static real PlayerShield
(unit_get_shield (Player)))

(script static real PlayerHealth
(unit_get_health (Player)))

(script continuous HealthRegen
(sleep 90)
(if (= (PlayerShield) 1) (begin
(if (and (> (PlayerHealth) 0) (< (PlayerHealth) 0.25)) (begin
(unit_set_current_vitality (Player) (+ (* (PlayerHealth) 100) 15) 100))
(sleep 60))
(if (and (> (PlayerHealth) 0.25) (< (PlayerHealth) 0.50)) (begin
(unit_set_current_vitality (Player) (+ (* (PlayerHealth) 100) 10) 100)
(sleep 90)))
(if (and (> (PlayerHealth) 0.50) (< (PlayerHealth) 1)) (begin
(unit_set_current_vitality (Player) (+ (* (PlayerHealth) 100) 5) 100)
(sleep 120))))))

EDIT: Forgot code tags.
Edited by Sinow on Jun 24, 2013 at 05:38 PM

Time: Thu March 23, 2017 10:19 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website