A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: FtDSpartn
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 7, 2017 11:16 PM
Interests: Programming, gaming. Wondering what a 'life' is.
Your Age: 19
What Games do you play: XCOM 2 is way too good.
Thank you.

Post Statistics
FtDSpartn has contributed to 653 posts out of 464604 total posts (.14%) in 3,069 days (.21 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Jam
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

It "creates," for lack of a better word, new inbetween frames at the cost of CPU usage.

basically its fake frames and doesn't actually fix anything.

what about hit reg and mouse accel? also what about perf issues that some maps have? extra cpu usage = worse performance = pointless. people need to move on already lol

However it works, the game looks smoother with it and that makes it more fun for me personally so I could care less if I lose a few frames. Not pointless at all.

Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark

Yeah, I'd say this is a massive improvement actually, makes the game much more enjoyable to play when you are playing other games at 144hz and go to 30, it is really jarring, this is absolutely amazing. Thanks 002.

Question though, you say it it allow for 60fps animations, but I am running at 120hz, and it really does seem like it is running higher than 60fps in the first person animations, am I just imagining things or is it able to increase the first person animations to 120hz?
Edited by S12Spark on Sep 7, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Edited by S12Spark on Sep 7, 2017 at 01:26 PM

It interpolates to whatever framerate you're at, I believe. So if I'm running at 144 FPS on 144hz, the animations will be 144 FPS.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien- Show Encounter AI??? Sep 7, 2017 03:24 PM (Total replies: 5)

In addition to using ai_place, I believe that if AI respawn is on with the necessary settings that they will respawn in Sapien, though it's been a long time since I've used that feature.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » First-person Animation Questions Sep 7, 2017 03:22 PM (Total replies: 1)

Recently I've gotten into first-person animation -- and I've been wondering a few things.

Is it possible to swap the FP arms with another set that has different nodes (swapping a cyborg's fp model for an elite's, for example) and keep the original animation? I know I'd have to pose the fingers/hands again but I'd like to keep the general gun movement. (I'd guess that it was done in t3h lag's video here?)

Secondly, how would you go about making a new set of FP arms? Could you take the original model and just chop off the needed parts, or would you have to model a whole new set using the 3p model as reference?

Lastly, any tips that you have I'd love to hear so I don't make completely terrible animations. Thanks!

Edit: I'm importing CMT SPv3 models/animations for reference for a few things, and they seem to be missing some frame nodes, such as for the battle rifle bolt, which doesn't seem normal. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Edit 2: Also, are there any tutorials on third-person/character animation out there? I can't seem to find anything. (Guess the title's not so accurate now!) I'm attempting to see if I can learn how to make a dual-wield animation set for elites.

Edit 3: To add onto the previous, how would you go about creating a dual-wielded third-person model of the plasma rifle? Logic tells me I'd import the model twice then link the left gun's frame to the right and link the __unnamed geometry to the respective frame gun, but the JMS exporter just freezes on me when doing this with an error in the listener window.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Sep 8, 2017 at 06:00 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
that's easy, extract the maps with HEK plus, load it in sapian, resave the scenario as a different name, recompile, done. But seriously, those maps have those names for a reason.

Use Refinery instead, it's a lot more reliable especially when it comes to .yelo maps.

Well, if you want the maps for multiplayer HAC2 has a map downloader which will download any map that you need to join a server automatically.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to open maps in Saipen? Aug 25, 2017 11:48 PM (Total replies: 46)

This topic is from 2009, guys...

Welp, it looks like mine was set to ~20000 (and I've never changed it myself). I have plenty of spare memory though, so I'm not sure. I'll look around some more tomorrow and see if I can't get it to work.

Thanks for the help though!

Edit: Turns out I was using a 32-bit version of Python, and the number was too large for it to support in the bitmaps cache file. Downloading and installing the 64-bit version fixed it.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Aug 23, 2017 at 04:09 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

I was able to extract all but 2 of the tags by just renaming the -sounds.map, -loc.map, and -bitmaps.map to remove the dash. Refinery will use them as the default caches, which actually works out just fine it seems lol. I doubt those resource maps will actually work properly for non-spv3 maps though. If there isnt a bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map in the folder with the map you're trying to extract, refinery will ask you to select them, which you could do instead of renaming them.

Btw, the reason refinery couldn't extract those 2 is because it uses a hard-coded mapping to determine which promotion sound each sound tag points to which in the sounds resource map. since cmt uses their own resource map, this mapping is wrong. I'm gonna push out an update to refinery to address a couple bugs, so grab it in about an hour from here: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/downloads/

Also, grab the new installer and run it when you do, as it works now and I'll be pushing out a small tweak to the reclaimer library.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 20, 2017 at 08:58 PM

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but now I'm getting this error. (I selected the cache files manually.)

Error ocurred while extracting 'levels\test\entropy\bitmaps\vanity.bitmap'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Games\Halo\Halo CE\Modding Tools\Moses Editing Kit\refinery_core\main.py", line 1677, in start_extraction
meta = self.get_meta(tag_id, True)
File "D:\Games\Halo\Halo CE\Modding Tools\Moses Editing Kit\refinery_core\main.py", line 1872, in get_meta
self.inject_rawdata(h_block[0], tag_cls, tag_index_ref)
File "D:\Games\Halo\Halo CE\Modding Tools\Moses Editing Kit\refinery_core\main.py", line 1882, in inject_rawdata
self, meta, tag_cls, tag_index_ref)
File "D:\Games\Halo\Halo CE\Modding Tools\Moses Editing Kit\refinery_core\halo1_functions.py", line 40, in inject_rawdata
pixel_data.seek(bitmap.pixels_offset)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'seek'

Error ocurred while extracting 'postprocess\bitmaps\static.bitmap'

This error shows when I load the map after selecting the cache files.
Loading bitmaps.map...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Games\Halo\Halo CE\Modding Tools\Moses Editing Kit\refinery_core\main.py", line 888, in _load_all_resource_maps
bitmap_data = PeekableMmap(f.fileno(), 0)
OSError: [WinError 8] Not enough storage is available to process this command

I'm having a problem extracting tags from SPV3 A10 using Refinery. The errors all appear to involve bitmaps, so I guess this might be because Refinery doesn't support ripping from Yelo resource maps yet (according to the refinery readme)? I did go through the steps in the OP.

(Edit: actually was extracting from A05?)

https://pastebin.com/XFLAeALK

I've tried extracting from A10 and this error occurs when I load the map as well, looks like a case of doubled slashes in the path.

https://pastebin.com/ErsCCBvu
Edited by FtDSpartn on Aug 20, 2017 at 07:18 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Happy forum anniversary ODX! Aug 1, 2017 08:10 PM (Total replies: 18)

Releases are always great!

This is definitely going to be something I can't go without once it's out. I'm assuming this works just as well for higher frame and refresh rates?

Magnificent.

Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jun 29, 2017 04:32 PM (Total replies: 73)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
I still hate you all

don't worry we all do

Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jun 26, 2017 01:58 PM (Total replies: 73)

Definitely doesn't feel as long as it has been. I didn't post or do much anyway, except for that one long tutorial post I did.

Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jun 21, 2017 03:12 PM (Total replies: 73)

Hmm, what about UnevenElefant? I used to see them a lot a few years back.

Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

I believe there is an issue with firing positions in scenarios as well

Probably issues with recorded animations as well. I remember that pelican in the Silent Cartographer flying drunk.

I believe that it's actually an issue with the .physics tags that get extracted.

Halo CE General Discussion » Does anyone need AI sync May 15, 2017 03:51 PM (Total replies: 17)

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
If you know how to add AI to a map then you can learn how to set it up to be synced. It's not hard, just takes a lot of time because you need to create a vehicle for each animation that you want to sync and stuff.

Sounds like something that could be automated using a tool.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Custom Sound Issue Mar 25, 2017 01:07 AM (Total replies: 12)

The m16a3 sound compiled fine for me.

You do have the sounds in your data folder and not the tags folder, right? That's usually what that error means, and that's how I messed up when I tried my first sound compiling a while back.

When you point to a non-existent file, tool will seem to compile right, but when you compile again, it will throw that error.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Mar 25, 2017 at 01:09 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
Those are some seriously ugly cars you have there, well of the 2 images that aren't broken, I'm assuming the broken image is another ugly car.

Might as well make a Nissan Leaf and put it in halo.

Woah, woah the zonda I could understand being labeled as "striking" but ugly???

And as for thr CLK GTR you just deserve a backhander.

They're extremely busy, the headlights look silly, the doors are ridiculous, the mirrors look like they want to snap off, there's a single windshield wiper which looks just wrong, the spoiler makes the car look like it has brain damage, the scoop on the roof doesn't make any sense and just makes it uglier, and finally the hood ornament looks extremely out of place. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of these let alone driving one.

Why does this belong in halo? That makes 0 sense. An ugly car that's not even a popular style or model in a futuristic military game where you fight aliens that no one plays anymore? Why? for what purpose?

Hope you realize this was ten years ago this was posted. More people played back then.

As for the reason for wanting this in Halo? For a map such as Chronopolis, I would guess.

Time: Sun September 24, 2017 7:01 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website