A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: sparky
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 10, 2019 08:59 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Post Statistics
sparky has contributed to 2073 posts out of 469343 total posts (.44%) in 3,733 days (.56 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Translations Aug 30, 2019 05:17 PM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
As someone with experience with bad translations: don't try to translate that, it's never going to be accurate and it will just mislead people and confuse them a lot, if you have to translate something leave the original nomenclature as is and just tell them what each thing does in spanish

Thanks for the advice.

Halo CE General Discussion » Translations Aug 23, 2019 09:57 PM (Total replies: 3)

Anybody wanna translate 4585 unique Halo strings to Spanish?

If you're interested, send me a Private Message on this forum.

Here's a sample:

Quote:
{wind}
{wingtip contrail new}
{wingtip contrail}
{with primary}
{with screen space}
{wobble function period:seconds}
{wobble function#a function to perturb the effect's behavior over time}
{wobble function#the curve used for the wobble}
{wobble magnitude:percent#the amount of random wobble in the magnitude}
{wobble period:seconds#the length of time it takes for the magnitude of this function to complete a wobble}
{wobble weight#a value of 0.0 signifies that the wobble function has no effect; a value of 1.0 signifies that the effect will not be felt when the wobble function's value is zero.}
{WON'T USE}
{wood:[0,+inf]}
{wood}
{world bounds x}
{world bounds y}
{world bounds z}
{world relative}
{wrap}
{W}
{X button}
{x offset}
{x8r8g8b8}
{xbox adpcm}
{xx moment}
{x}
{Y button}
{y offset}
{y8}
{yaw bounds:degrees#the sound's position along the horizon will be randomly selected from this range.}
{yaw function#a function to control rotation of the gel in yaw}
{yaw maximum}
{yaw minimum}
{yaw period:seconds#time between repeats}
{yaw rate:degrees per second}
{yaw[-127,127]}
{yy moment}
{yy+zz -xy -zx}
{y}
{z reference vectors}
{zero}
{ZONER: _model_part_local_nodes}
{zoom multiplier:[0,1]}
{zoom-in sound}
{zoom-out sound}
{zoom}
{zsprite radius scale}
{zsprite}
{zz moment}
{z}

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
@Dennis
A person should do what they genuinely believe is best.

Don't try to inject yourself into something in which you have only partial information.

(Respecting people's opinion + offending people) / 2 ≠ "love your neighbor as yourself"

Somewhere in the equation you have to fit kindness and empathy to meet the golden rule of "do to others what you would have them do to you", otherwise it all might as well descend into mass murder -- after all, if we all start condemning each other, who is to say where it should stop? Mussolini said it should stop with him because he had the biggest guns -- but if you know anything about the afterlife, it would be a probable guess that Mussolini is now dead and burning in Hell for the consequences of his actions. Or are we to agree with the war cry of muslims and islam, and believe that by murdering the most number of educated white people (read: Christians) one can earn their way into Heaven and be sexually entertained by 72 virgins? Is not such a ridiculous lie? Is not such a war cry against civilization? Is not such actually wrong? If it is wrong, then what is right? Mussolini did not care what was right, which is why he subscribed to Relativism. On the other hand, people who listen to the only true God and his only son are taught by God what is right -- and they adhere to his words and gain eternal life because of him.

Quote: --- Original message by: HandofGod
The last sentence was really unnecessary. But the rest of it is your opinion, so I guess people should respect that.
was banned...threats of violence...all the mass shootings...you have to take these things seriously...do not engage.

If you are taking these things seriously, and you were not personally involved in several "mass shootings", then that means you are taking seriously reports by one or more people who have reported such things.

Look around. "For where is the wrath of the oppressor?"

Why should one be concerned with that which they cannot do anything about themselves? My conclusion has been to ignore the news, because the world will end with or without my input.

But I take God's words seriously, and that is why I have insight and wisdom. And one command is to "love your neighbor as yourself", which, when obeyed, means you "forgive" and "do not murder".

Maybe then it is time to inject more of what I know into this about which I have an excess of meaningful information -- unlike news reporters who merely as quickly as possible regurgitate what the CIA or wikileaks tells them without bothering to consider the psychological effects of bringing war into the living room.

So do you want to know about and talk about and spread information about evil war which you cannot affect, or would you rather know about and talk about and spread information about good compassion which you can exhibit? "The good man brings good things out of the good stored in his heart and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored in his heart. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks."

The decision seems simple to me. Believe me, I've had my fair share of seeing people be murdered and beaten, and I've seen my fair share of people's heads being blown off. Surely right now I could link you to a video that would become a red pill that you and others -- even in your older age -- would probably regret having watched because of the resultant nightmares it would give you. But these are scars, not edifying examples. Why seek justice in psychological warfare when you can seek justice from The Creator?

You're going to trust the police then? Let's escalate that a little further. Maybe you want to write to the president. Maybe you want the military involved, maybe there should be a war against mass shootings. Understand this: "Many seek an audience with a ruler, but it is from The Lord that one gets justice." (Proverbs 29:26).

You said you take mass shootings seriously, so then seriously think, what will a police officer do with that person? They will go to their residence, knock on their door, and ask them if they are a danger to themselves or to others. They might then call the local church minister who is on-call and the officer's partner would stay while the minister comes and probably does a terrible job trying to empathize with the person.

Or we can cut to the chase and I can advocate for empathy and loving your neighbor as yourself. That seems more economical than you taking the time to report their IP to their local police "for follow-up" -- but there is no follow-up if there has not yet been any effort at exercising real justice. And real justice, as I said earlier, means working for the betterment of everyone involved in a situation.

So I will either work for justice for everyone here, or I will leave. After all, you will either accept my opinion or you will try to silence me. Internet Censorship: 1, Net Neutrality: 0.

https://www.fightforthefuture.org/

What a stupid slogan. Why don't they just keep their opinions to themselves?!

Should people forget all reasons for civility, and instead simply snitch and litigate, betray and hate, and be afraid of each other? Congrats, you reported them to the police. I'm sure the police have their hands full with many other would-be murderers. All you've done is offloaded the burden without lifting a finger to bring good to the situation. Feel good about yourself. Much kudos. Meanwhile, The Lord Righteousness, Savior of the World, who gave his own life to save murderers, said, "My Father is always at his work, even to this very day, and I am also working." He is the one who "led justice to victory; in his name the nations will put their hope". So while you are relying upon mortal men to clean up the mess you push over to them, I am citing historical REASON for laws so that maybe -- just maybe -- people who use this thing you maintain might be able to see reason and choose to do what is right (in their own lives and on this forum) rather than offload their own problems onto others like your example.

Sorry if I am offending you, but I defend what is right regardless of the self-righteousness in the mind of the observer or the self-esteem in their heart. Such is discipline.

Discipline or death.

Don't try to inject yourself...

Why should you try to silence me? Jesus replied, "If I said something wrong, testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" (John 18:23).

I said it years ago and you did not listen: If this place is found lacking, it will surely end. How can we ignore anger and interpersonal conflicts and expect a thriving community with many halo maps and much camaraderie and fun and collaboration and sharing? You have been unjustly selective of what information you are willing to have people share -- even at times like this when it is the main premise of the topic that addresses the rot at the core of the apple. Nobody wants to bite into this apple anymore, because they see it is rotten. That's why they're looking elsewhere and making their own social avenues so that they can see what it's like to be a community manager. Surely you will point the finger and say you did nothing wrong, but if you are willing to cast blame, then show us how it should be done. Or if things are so copacetic with the forum management, then why does this thread have to exist and why do I have to say anything about interpersonal conflict? If you've done such a wonderful job as an example to others and at managing this web site and its forum, even as to not need to dedicate much time to it because it practically runs itself, why all the complaints in this thread by people who exhibit interpersonal conflict?

Shall I continue or has the dawn of reason risen on the minds of the readers?

Something is wrong, and we collectively have testified as to what is wrong, as God and Jesus Christ commanded for real justice. Will you accept betterment?

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle

Edit:

I had this really long message explaining myself here, but I just learned that being nice and genuine on this site is not worth anything.

You know. I feel good, and I try to spread happiness. But then I go here and I just die on the inside.

I give up. Meet me on my server if you want. But don't even mention this site if you can help it.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Aug 12, 2019 at 02:19 PM

"Do not give dogs what is sacred. Do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet and then turn and tear you to pieces." (Matthew 7:6).

...you have only partial information.

OK so you don't want me to use your forum. I get it. Great forum management work there, naming and shaming and rejecting people... but I will say this one more thing:

I quote God because God does not "have only partial information".
Yet that is why you reject me.
So it seems you do not actually want wisdom or people to speak who have more than "partial information".

...because equality.

Checkmate. Best two out of three?

Quote: Because of the increase in wickedness, the love of most will grow cold. But he who stands firm to the end will be kept safe.

So I help with a simple solution. Soften your heart. Dulling your senses does not make you safe, but ignorant. (Is it safe to walk around with your eyes closed? Neither is it safe to communicate before considering the nature of the one with whom you are communicating.) Which is safer: a loving and nurturing environment or a cold void of bitterness, hatred, anger, and strife? Is it safer for your wellbeing in outer space or with your loving parents? So then why feel pain, become defensive, harden your heart, and retreat into the cold, dull, lifeless void of apathy? Isn't it better to love and understand through consideration and empathy and thus have your eyes open to make an informed statement? God's love is infinite, and he is most patient. Surely his words are worth considering then.

Quote: Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.

Edited by sparky on Aug 15, 2019 at 08:08 AM

One last thing.
This is what anyone can clearly see who visits this forum:
- The forum owner points the finger at the community, implicitly blaming them for causing their own problems by the content of their messages, and bans people who show emotional disturbance and say the wrong thing.
- The community blames the forum owner for not being active enough and not giving them new things, and badmouth him and his work to his face and behind his back, thus being dishonorable ingrates.
- The community attacks each other openly and behind each other's backs.
- I come along and see this and quote God who said, "Any kingdom divided against itself will be ruined." I proceed to point to the solution. The forum owner refuses to accept that there is a problem and the community refuses to change their ways, both refuse to listen to God who alone is good, and both proceed to reject, insult, mock, ridicule, and try to hurt me in every way they can indefinitely without any end to their hatred in sight.

Tell me again how this community is not divided, and how Jesus Christ's words are irrelevant and unhelpful, and how stupid I am for mentioning God in this godforsaken place. GO AHEAD AND TELL ME.

Quote: Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, who the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

vs
Quote: "There is no peace," says The Lord, "for the wicked."

Which do you want. Life is short so consider carefully and make up your mind quickly.
Edited by sparky on Aug 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM

Edited by sparky on Aug 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Invader Aug 14, 2019 07:47 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kavawuvi
I mean, you already have my extracthalotagdefs pastebin and my other files (tags, not maps yet) far more recent than my old Eschaton plugins...

I don't think I have it. I generally don't use Eschaton except for extracting tags to disk so I can compare them using hex editors.

No offense to Altimit01, but I feel wrong every time I consider using Eschaton, and I feel stupid every time I do use Eschaton. It's like, "Why am I doing this?" because I would sooner be spending the time working on my own application. Using Eschaton should not remain necessary for Mac and Windows users given that we can learn from what Altimit01 did and try to do things better. Anyway, here are links to my former works of interest since my Eschaton plugins:

SAPP Lua Template
HTTPD Apache APR file type handler extension (old version from past experiments)
Halo Tag File Definitions
extracthalotagdefs in Objective-C to produce Halo Tag File Definitions
diffs by Smx for Windows, changing #import to #include and using binary mode with fopen
retribution.h
halo_definitions.h
halo_bitfields.h
halo_enums.h
guerilla.txt before I learned that unix has a "strings" command
crc32 calculation from some web site
crc32 calculation from some web site using a lookup table, put into C#
flam.h for peer comment
flam_bitmasks.h
halo_constants.h
flam_enums.h

Again, old stuff. And you have a whole slew of other people's work and your own experience.

As I showed in a more recent video, I finished putting the Halo tag definitions into C structs. If you are interested, you can read it off the video. I don't share or leave open source what I'm still working on.

Maybe some of that is useful to your project.

EDIT:

Not that you would appreciate any of it...

Edited by sparky on Aug 16, 2019 at 12:14 AM

@Dennis
A person should do what they genuinely believe is best.

But such evaluations take a bit of effort and thought (evaluation means consideration) and that's not the kind of situation that would make me feel good to feel the need to make. (I'll leave that sentence grammatically incorrect, thank you.)

Perception and perspective are relevant. Here's a hand drawing I just did showing my perspective of life. Enjoy.

"Kindness is the golden chain with which society is bound together." -- Göthe
There is also Justice and Righteousness.
Justice means working for the betterment of everyone involved in a situation. Justice is the opposite of revenge.
Righteousness is purity to God who alone is good.
These are the things needed for success in any social group. "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom nor the strong man boast of his strength nor the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am The Lord who exercises Kindness, Justice, and Righteousness on Earth, because in these things I delight."
So life is not about the smarts nor the abilities nor the possessions. It's about being a god -- a person like God. "I have said that you are gods" from Psalm 82.

It is time to stop relying upon your own selves. You have not been successful on your own so far, so why not accept some good guidance, some good help? Open your eyes, uncover your ears, and soften your hearts, so that you might learn from God who alone is good, who created each one of us and put within each of us a conscience. "Reject the wrong and choose the right." "Love your neighbor as yourself; forgive each other from your heart."

"The mystery of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to those on the outside everything is expressed in parables, so that, 'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven.'" (Mark 4:11-12).

You want others to change, but are you unwilling to change? There is a saying, "When you remember how hard it is to change yourself, you begin to see what little chance one has of changing others." As the disciples said, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus replied, "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible." "No one can come to me unless my Father draws them, and then I will raise them up during The Last Day."

Understand this: Jesus Christ took on all mankind's problems -- past, present and future -- and healed and raised the dead and saved. He came down from Heaven to live as The Son of Man, God's definitive intercessor for mankind, so that whoever would accept God through him is spiritually reborn into truth and eternal life. "It is written, 'they will all be taught by God.' Whoever looks to the Father and learns from him comes to me. And whoever comes to me I will never turn away, because I did not come down from Heaven to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me: that I shall not lose any of all he has given to me but raise them up during The Last Day. For my Father's will is that whoever looks to The Son and believes in him will not perish but have eternal life, and I will raise them up during The Last Day."

You don't have to keep relying upon yourselves and your own wills and your own capacities. Know The Intercessor, The Savior of The World. Payment has been made in full for anyone who looks to God and learns from God through Jesus Christ. He said, "You judge by human standards. I cast judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my judgments are correct, because I [do not seek to please myself but him who sent me / do not speak on my own but stand with him who sent me]." "Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain honor for themselves. But whoever speaks on behalf of the one who sent him is a man of truth in whom there is nothing false."

So this is what I still see here: you're all still relying upon yourselves, and speaking to gain honor for yourselves! Your goals then will only ever be flawed. Take the time -- make the investment in your life -- to accept The Lord Righteousness as your righteousness and salvation. Salvation means being kept safe from evil and death. And it's permanent: "Whoever believes has eternal life and can no longer die -- he has crossed over from death to life."

This is what I want for you. But it's not up to me, as he explained, it is up to God to draw you to himself "with faithful, loving kindness". "I have loved you with an everlasting love. I have drawn you to myself with faithful, loving kindness, and you belong to me." The Lord takes care of his own. Wherever they may be.

You must gain knowledge, understanding, faith, belief, and thereby become permanently safe. "I give you my peace. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid. [Trust in God, trust also in me.]"

People who did not have The Intercessor with them repeatedly backslid. They were repeat offenders, so-to-speak. Those who now have Immanuel (which means "God with us", God's Presence) are reminded that he said, "And surely I am with you always, even until the very end of the age [of mankind]."

Edited by sparky on Aug 12, 2019 at 12:30 PM
Edited by sparky on Aug 12, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Need help with these ar fire sounds Aug 12, 2019 12:55 AM (Total replies: 4)

^ I don't understand that about two firing effects.

Try duplicating the stock tag "weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon" and overwriting its tag references and adjusting other metadata fields as necessary. Look at what has been done successfully. I'm guessing you already did this, though, but it's worth saying. Look at the firing sound tag referenced by the firing effect's second "part" block entry, how it's xbox adpcm, 22 kHz, monoaural, and has some permutations for interesting variety and all next permutation indices are -1 (none) with actual permutation count as the quantity of permutation sounds.

Make sure you're using a working xbox adpcm codec. There's one for 64-bit and one for 32-bit. I used to have the links but they're buried somewhere on my server and locally, so ask if you need them and can't find them on this forum or elsewhere and I'll dig them up.
Edited by sparky on Aug 12, 2019 at 01:01 AM

Well, let me set aside the interpersonal conflicts for a moment, and let us be reasonable. It is the interpersonal conflicts going unresolved that make any community "toxic" for reasonable and informative discourse. That is actually not to be blamed upon the individual, but instead of blaming the individual for being the kind of individual they are, which amounts to nothing, you have many other options for civil social progress. It may seem easier to ban (block) people in an attempt to stem a surge in unbearable verbal conflict. However, blocking access is simply blocking access. Nothing is actually fixed, so the problems follow the people around wherever they go, whether this "toxic" forum or your shiny new discord server.

So problems must be solved properly. Going on vacation, the locational cure, only brings your storms along with you elsewhere. (Hence immigration of uneducated people bringing their primitive ways with them into a very deadly and serious clash with the population at their supposed "melting pot" destination.) The interpersonal storms follow you if you don't calm them first.

"There is no peace for the wicked." People in general have the capacity for good or for evil, but what that really means is that they are either good or evil, not both. And good in this case does not mean perfectly good (neither perfect nor absolutely good like God is both perfect and absolutely good and unchanging) but they have the ability to store good things in their heart and bring good things forth from their heart, or to store evil things in their heart and bring evil things forth from their heart. Now the actions in themselves are of a nature, and that is what I have addressed, because "by their fruit you will recognize them; a good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit -- every tree that does not bear good fruit will be pulled up by the roots and thrown into the fire".

So it really is not cooperation that brings peace, but real internal peace within the individual (only available by having God's words of life within their heart, and as knowledge and faith) manifesting itself in kindness, justice, and righteousness, those three things God said he "exercises [...] on The Earth, because in these things I delight".

Hence the point. If you are a toxic person inside, you will bring your toxicity with you wherever you go, until you get that fixed by The Spirit of God who knows your heart. If it's never fixed, it gets worse and worse like a cancer and nobody else wants to be around you because they can't stand the interpersonal conflicts that arise everywhere you go.

Without real internal peace, division ensues, then destruction. "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand." (NIV) "A kingdom divided by civil war will collapse." (NLT) (Mark 3:24).

The only problem that frustrates me so much is that I seem to be the only person here who knows that God is not my enemy, but my helper in times of need, conflict, and stress. That alone has been why I started mentioning God and God's words here in this community in the first place: he's the definitive solution to all problems. It's proven by the fruits of civilization including the existence of The Internet. You don't build a tool for communication when you aren't willing to listen to reason. Hospitals and schools are fundamental to society -- those institutions are Catholic (Christian) inventions. It is no accident that The USA has lasted while other non-Christian nations have not developed and are in perpetual civil war.

Interpersonal division is necessary to maintain integrity. (Luke 12:49-53). But isn't this community in civil war?

Mother Theresa is considered a peaceful person, yes? She said that "you gotta have Jesus in your heart". But the apostasy of atheistic humanism and the drive of socialist communism begins in the schoolroom class on evolutionary darwinism -- Darwin, that stooge of atheistic humanism who lived as an involute incapacitated by all kinds of crippling diseases and psychological disorders his entire life because one does not insult God and get away with it. But the kids are taught in school to choose Charles Darwin as their "god" and to discard with all facts and reality in light of that sadistic and murderous human's hypotheses and "theories" completely disconnected from all facts and reality and all the culmination of the human race's knowledge and God-breathed recorded words.

Kind of a no-brain-er when one puts it this way, yes? Good luck being taught the truth in a classroom nowadays, as men embrace perversion and lies in their choosing corruption and deceit instead of truth and wisdom. I could go on, but my point is made.

Each of you "is old enough to reject the wrong and choose the right". But have you?

War is an escalation of interpersonal conflict. If you fix the interpersonal conflict properly, it never leads to anger, murder, and war. Hence Matthew 5:21-22 -- "You have heard that it was said to the ancients, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, 'Raca,' is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of Hell."

So here is what I propose to you: do you want to be like the IBM-created eugenicist Adolf Hitler who, through the socialist NAZI party spread fascist atheistic-humanist communism with the self-admitted relativist Mussolini to imprison, torture, and genocidally murder millions of people and cause World War 2, or do you want to be like the Catholic Mother Theresa, who, as a disciple (student) of Jesus Christ, worked to aid and educate the needy and poor, and played a pivotal role in ending World War 2 and preventing further world wars?

Which kind of person would you describe as "toxic": Adolf Hitler or Mother Theresa? And from which will you learn and which will become your role model?

Or put another way, if you are so comfortable with the status quo of folly and perversion, why are you complaining about the people who use this forum? Perhaps you don't actually like the fruits of your own doctrines. Perhaps it's time to get back to "in the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth".

Just a suggestion... based upon facts and wisdom, not personal opinion or ephemeral feelings.

Edited by sparky on Aug 12, 2019 at 02:19 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Invader Aug 12, 2019 12:04 AM (Total replies: 28)

I'm guessing you looked at the assembly many times by now and have been using the proprietary IDA, yes?

I have not used IDA for this project. People have offered to give me .IDB files for Halo Custom Edition and a pirated copy of IDA Pro to better help me find things in the Halo executable in the past, but I haven't really found any need for either of them.

There are advantages to looking at the assembly, including seeing what registers and addresses and pointer types are used to determine data type of a variable, and seeing what resources are used and what a function actually does. So it's definitely an option with clout.

Also, what was involved in determining some of these undocumented values like at the end of bipd?

Change values in Guerilla, run tool build-cache-file, check value in hex editor, and write down the result. After a few iterations, a pattern becomes visible, and I test it over the next few iterations to make sure it's correct.

This would have been my approach also. But now since you made your work (publicly) visible to me, I can see what you determined and determine myself if your conclusions are accurate. Peer and third-party review is one advantage to using open source, but the question remains as to whether or not I would actually commit changes. I would be more inclined to send you my comments than to directly commit changes. (Also, these undocumented values are relevant to MosesofEgypt's Mozzerilla project, so he may be interested in reviewing your conclusions. I mention this specifically because he considered my initial guesswork at those undocumented biped fields, where I simply changed them using a memory editor to see what happened in the game.) So at least your work is appreciated by other software developers who are interested in that kind of information. But like if I'm a C programmer and I do reverse engineering work, I would be more inclined to comment than commit or fork and push into a C++ project. The question here is one of how useful my existing work is and my future work would be to another project like this written in a different programming language. I mean, you already have my extracthalotagdefs pastebin and my other files (tags, not maps yet) far more recent than my old Eschaton plugins...

...too wordy, I know. In sum, I suppose open sourcing as a general available opportunity for others to possibly contribute, without any real implied initiative or main purpose of their contributing -- compared to collaborative map authoring in the game over a network -- seems like just giving yourself more extraneous work to manage push requests. It doesn't seem like much extra work to do that, but it's the attention that takes time and distracts from development focus. And of course, it's easier to take an idea with information and apply it to your own project according to your own design principle rather than to work with someone else's code as it's written into your project files, especially if they don't know what the design principles are. Compare to two map authors working on a map at the same time in an uncoordinated way, where one is shifting around vertices of the BSP while the other is trying to texture and UVW map that BSP at the same time.
Edited by sparky on Aug 12, 2019 at 12:06 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Release: Really big BSP Aug 11, 2019 11:36 PM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

it would look nice without the default fog

Fog reduces rendering effort on the GPU. A touch of low, white fog with long distance could be appealing.

Halo CE General Discussion » Is This Still a Thing? (Arsenic Re-Release) Aug 11, 2019 11:32 PM (Total replies: 3)

Thank you.
virustotal reports clean: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1d5b5a3c72319c1f0af964fe3945f4896b55bdad1eb8672d109d5f0b7be5193e/detection

Halo CE General Discussion » Best of the best Aug 11, 2019 10:06 AM (Total replies: 1)

Status update?

I don't use Xbox, but nice job!

Halo CE General Discussion » Playing Halo combat evolved Aug 11, 2019 09:55 AM (Total replies: 1)

Well, if you can't use the disc, buy an external USB CD drive, or buy a copy of Halo PC from Amazon for its CD Key and download an ISO of the game, which I just so happen to have shared for map designers in the past.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Invader Aug 11, 2019 09:51 AM (Total replies: 28)

probably just more efficient code altogether. I also do fewer checks than tool.exe

having an open source map compiler will make things a lot easier

I'm guessing you looked at the assembly many times by now and have been using the proprietary IDA, yes?

Why do you like open source so much? If no one else is going to contribute to a project, why do open source rather than simply share the source code as text files when it's done?

Also, what was involved in determining some of these undocumented values like at the end of bipd?

Anyway, it's nice that you are still an active software developer in this community.

Halo CE General Discussion » Need help with these ar fire sounds Aug 11, 2019 09:22 AM (Total replies: 4)

All directional sounds should be monoaural.
Short sounds should be xbox IDA ADPCM format.
Gunfire and dialogue and impact sounds should be 22kHz.

Remember, this is using DirectSound for audio playback.
Edited by sparky on Aug 11, 2019 at 09:23 AM

Also, if you do dialogue sounds, make sure you normalize the waveform before processing the mouth data.
Edited by sparky on Aug 11, 2019 at 09:24 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Compiling Sound Tags Aug 11, 2019 09:13 AM (Total replies: 2)

I put together a composite of three or four suites that I edited together and compiled the 3-hour-long music into an OGG Vorbis sound tag using tool.exe. In 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo. So it's not a problem with tool.

If you need a third-party program, then you kind of don't know what you're doing or you missed a step. The HEK is finicky.

Certainly I've done enough video and written tutorials over the years about this specific topic. But of course, I deleted my YouTube videos. But you are saying, DeadHamster, that you know what you're doing, so it's nice that you finally got this to work satisfactorily.

Also congrats on developing PorkChop. I have my own relevant work, but it looks like it could be a nice utility.
Edited by sparky on Aug 11, 2019 at 09:15 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Old Blam or New Blam? Aug 11, 2019 08:55 AM (Total replies: 2)

Thanks for the interest. See here for my project's information.

When it's done, one can add to it by simply adding to the source code. Lua scripting might be made available. Open sourcing and forking I don't like. Development is too fast to use a repo.

Halo CE General Discussion » GXV1 Codename "Ventus" Aug 11, 2019 08:29 AM (Total replies: 0)

So it's probably a bad idea for me to make this thread now or at all, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Enjoy!

Ventus is my remake of Blam! to use with Halo files. The word "ventus" is Latin.

License is free.
"Free as in air. Don't use it for evil, and it will go well with you."

Last week, I shared a progress video on the HBO Discord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTRQpr-fbQ

Today, I wrote an overview of the development pipeline and re-iterated a bit about the immediate purpose for this project:

Quote: The step I'm on is designing functions for parsing serialized data (Halo-related files) into the structs. Of course I've done these things many times in different ways over the years. Generally, I'm still on the "reading files" stage. I'm taking today off, and tomorrow I do some memory management. Still to do is some more fun reverse-engineering of "binary data" structures. That will likely involve libraries like OGG Vorbis and DXT Bitmaps and Unicode support... but I will do those all later as part of the platform-native GUI stage. To use with the parsing functions, I also design constraints functions and debugging (development phase testing) blocks. Related are data validation functions. Towards the end of this stage, I check all stock files for bytes that are not stored in struct elements, and supply elements for that data. Once that's done, I anticipate still needing to do the "writing files" stage. Towards the end of that I probably will do processing functions, which will include functions that translate the data from the de-serialized struct storage into arrays suitable as buffers for rendering (OpenGL now, later some other platform-native things like Metal and DirectX). That will be a transition into the platform-native development stage, which is where you start seeing usability. During that stage, I do the user interface design, localized text, interactive features, keyboard and mouse controls, and so on. Around that time, I also do the engine behavior, which is like putting all the assets together: sound, 3D environment, physics, and so on, fitting it all together into the processing pipeline. Then I do networking stuff.

I've experimented with all of these things in the past (except physics) and I would like to have a result that lets you play Halo game assets in a superior engine that is compatible with modern hardware and software and allows for more creativity while relieving the players and map makers of burdensome artificial limitations, while still supporting those limitations for full compatibility with the Halo Editing Kit and Blam. So I'm making a new engine for Halo to bring the ideas I had earlier, including multiplayer dynamic map making (editing maps while playing them, like in Cube3D's Sauerbraten), removing the artificial limit of 16 players per game server, and most of all, simply making available a game engine that runs Halo files that people can use to make their own games.

Ah yes, and the networking stage would of course include what has been termed "ai synchronization" among its behavior features.

If that was confusing, then in brief, Ventus is my ultimate opus built upon my old Zeus experiments. Ventus is a new game engine that is compatible with Halo files, but does things better than Blam. Basically, if one were to go back and take all the work that was done on Blam for Halo: Combat Evolved and redo all the HEK programs and put all the stuff into a new game engine with integrated game editor and make new, fun features, that's Ventus. But there is a lot of work to do... which is the whole point!

For anyone interested in C, C++, Java, Android, or Perl programming, I suggest reading these relevant coding standards -- https://wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/ -- and I would like to share these summary guidelines I wrote for my project:

Quote: Summary of Guidelines as rules:
1. Be consistent.
2. Never dump a struct.
3. Serialize to disk and (encrypted pipe) network using only imposed memset and memcpy.
4. Don't use shorthand or be lazy.
5. Use maximum compiler optimizations and warnings.
6. Check optimized assembly before release.
7. Before using userland data values (after parsing), check integers using built-in integral minimums and maximums and check floats for -0 and NaN using math.h and necessary limits and desired bounds using functions for the math; filter before using math.h functions.
8. Keep identifiers short.
9. Be deliberate and specific with data types and operations. Avoid ambiguity by always using parentheses with order of evaluation.
10. Pair every calloc with one free and NULL assignment... Never pass a zero value to calloc. Check calloc's return value to determine that the entire memory block is initialized.
11. Prompt the user for sensitive data and store, use, wipe with overwrite, free, and annul that data properly and immediately within one function and before errors can occur.
12. Always check all function return values or cast the function call to void.
13. Only use pointer math within the same object (initialized memory block) and after casting to the uint8_t* type.
14. / and % must check for divide-by-zero.
15. Compare structs by element value, not by bit pattern; compare floats by value, not bytes.
16. Const is normal.
17. Don't use snprintf with userland data. Store and pass userland data until use with printf or fprintf with variadic arguments. Otherwise, use fputs.
18. Put integer literals into an enum.
19. Place variables and functions into the minimal scope and as opaque types in a header file.

There is still a lot more to do. Here are some screenshots just now:

So that's today's news about Ventus.

For more news, join the Blam comments channel on the Galaxy Verge Discord. To see only blurbs about development milestones, you can join the HBO Discord.

FAQ:

Q: Is it a new game?
A: Yes.

Q: Is it illegal?
A: No. Halo files are not released with Ventus. But if you just so happen to possess Halo files for whatever reason, they'll work. But you won't need them.

Q: When will it be ready?
A: I don't know.

Q: How many details are you planning to share about this project?
A: As of today (August 11, 2019), I have no plans to share anything besides the occasional video, screenshot, or copy-paste of a small section of the source code, because development is dynamic so there's little reason to post code besides a preview to show the kind of thing that I've done and to mark development milestones. Besides that, nobody really cares anyway.

Q: Will the game be open source?
A: I have not decided that yet.

Q: Will it balance my checkbook?
A: No. Try calculator.exe on Windows and calculator.app on Mac.

Q: How can I contact you?
A: Best way is to join the Galaxy Verge Discord server. This forum thread is merely a one-off, but you can reply to this thread also. I've posted enough stuff on this forum already

Q: Why C?
A: C is considered portable. I like C. I don't like C++ or Java or Python, although pretty much every other software developer in this community likes one of those.

Q: Will it run Crysis?
A: Right now, I'm doing the C part. The platform-native part is to be done in Objective-C for Mac and C# for Windows. The rendering would be done in OpenGL at first, then for Metal or whatever is a contemporary Mac thing and DirectX or whatever is a contemporary Windows thing. Linux would keep the OpenGL I guess.

Q: System Requirements?
A: Well, the C part could probably be run on a parking meter (just kidding), but basically it will be made available (at least upon request) such that you should be able to easily port it to Mac, Windows, and Linux. But as for what I'm planning to compile it for, it should run on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and whatever CentOS 7 is. But again, if kernel matters to you, feel free to compile it on your own -- but you might be required to do some programming.

Q: Scriptable?
A: I'm thinking maybe Lua like how SAPP uses LuaJIT, but that's not something I'm integrating at this point.

Q: Easy to use? Fast and smooth running? Fun to play?
A: You'd better believe it! But how fun it is depends upon how many players there are and how creative you want to be.

Q: Forge?
A: What I have in mind is a centralized but archivable asset library like my former INCY Online projects. If you have network access (you're reading this on a web site, yes?) then you can collaboratively design assets like tags and maps.

Q: If you're adding stuff, how will it work with HEK compatibility?
A: I consider HEK files to be static formats, so it will be made clear what can and can not work with the HEK programs and with Halo. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter since it's a different game engine.

Q: Open Sauce and HAC2 support?
A: Well, those are Halo hacks and this is not Halo. Map files in .yelo format can be supported, but at the end of the development, since that's not a priority and it would probably be trivial to add support (I'm talking a matter of a couple minutes of work and done within a couple hours).

Q: What's the general approach? Why has this taken so long to develop?
A: My work is cumulative. As I gain experience and realize things, and look and find things, I evaluate and use that information. Until now, I went about reverse engineering in different ways, but then I determined to use the kind of data definitions as indicated in the actual HEK programs. It's fun work, so I don't mind that it has taken years of effort, on and off. Ventus will be the result of this work.

Q: What does GXV1 mean?
A: galaxyverge project 1

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicle Camera Position Aug 11, 2019 06:16 AM (Total replies: 2)

It has something to do with the .camera_track tag referenced by the .vehicle tag. And if you already knew that, well, learn math.

Time: Sun September 15, 2019 1:49 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website