A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: sparky
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 17, 2017 10:44 AM
Interests:
Your Age: 31
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
sparky has contributed to 1836 posts out of 463690 total posts (.40%) in 2,949 days (.62 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I agree, combine the source code into a single program. Even simple functionality would make it more worthwhile than a tool belt.

hugh, keep in touch about your project development!
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 17, 2017 09:50 AM (Total replies: 34)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
[...] then another extra for amazon and Yahoo. Companies like Verizon, who owns AOL & Huffington Post could slow competing news organizations sites in favor of their own. [...]

Verizon owns AOL? I thought they were ambitious by now owning Yahoo, but darn that it is the case that I have been using AOL mail all this time and did not even know that Verizon owned it. Time to move to Gmail maybe, or get on that e-mail server I set aside plans for starting.
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 09:58 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » FREE MONEY! Jul 17, 2017 09:24 AM (Total replies: 1)

*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

No advertising for profit.
Edited by Dennis on Jul 17, 2017 at 11:09 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 12, 2017 09:36 PM (Total replies: 34)

https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it for the rest of us.

Halo Maps Forum is hosted in the USA and if the FCC commissioner passes present legislation, it will undoubtedly be blocked or slowed down, not only for people in the USA, but in general. Other services like Discord and NetFlix would be in the same situation, and creativity and free speech will become history.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 8, 2017 12:28 PM (Total replies: 8)

It's a goal. I need to do tag editing because a consolidated program to replace the HEK needs to first be able to parse tags.

I'd like to say how it's very nice to have people interested and helping with a project. Yumiris has been helping with suggestions and interface coding, and has been providing pull requests for me to merge into the project, such as this second pull reqeust: https://github.com/LiquidLightning/Inferno-Windows/pull/2. I welcome contributions and comments such as all those presented in this thread. Thanks!

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 8, 2017 03:57 AM (Total replies: 8)

Editing some of those values is one way to break compatibility with the HEK. It's also there to let you manually fix some values, such as the miscellaneous values in the header, which Inferno might not normally overwrite unless you wanted it to overwrite them via a preferences setting. Inferno by default overwrites the entire header correctly, but that's optional, and it also generates a new header for new tags or those without obvious headers. The values that you cannot modify are values that are either read-only and strict, such as the file size, or the CRC32 which is recalculated anyway for you, or the filename and path which you don't modify in that way. The idea is that you can modify any part of the tag data, even data that Guerilla does not show. It's just a feature, don't bash it

Just because it seems useless now, it might be used anyway. For example, MosesofEgypt's tag editor adds bytes to the miscellany, whereas Inferno and Guerilla overwrite zeros there. So if you wanted a lossless editor for tags (besides the CRC32 which is recalculated for you anyway as you are editing the tag), then use Inferno instead of Guerilla -- because Inferno lets you save invalid data that it warns you in red text is invalid.
Edited by sparky on Jul 8, 2017 at 04:02 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 7, 2017 09:04 PM (Total replies: 8)

The purpose of Inferno is to be a replacement for the HEK and to go beyond what the HEK does.

The purpose of releasing a version 0.1 is to demonstrate the interface for tags (this is the part of Inferno that replaces Guerilla) and get feedback before applying similar functionality to the rest of it.

Comment now, because once I go ahead and apply the functionality to the other 82 tag file types, I'm going to ignore suggestions to change the behavior of all 83 tag types. It won't be excessively time-consuming to modify thanks to the use of xaml styles, but I will have moved on in the development process.
Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 09:09 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 7, 2017 07:50 PM (Total replies: 8)

Yes, that's the goal with a future version.

Any comments after playing around with the point physics tag interface? This is merely the document view; all the esoteric information will be resource-localized and I'm planning to have this in a tabbed view with a panel on the right that shows mouseover information.

This is the mock-up that yumiris did for the main window:

Halo CE General Discussion » |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread Jul 7, 2017 06:50 PM (Total replies: 235)

Released demo build of Inferno, version 0.1: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50284.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 7, 2017 06:49 PM (Total replies: 8)

Demo build of Inferno, version 0.1. Opens .point_physics tags. Use with a clean installation of the HEK to open multiple .point_physics tags (most of which are in tags\effects\point_physics\) to see examples of where the header data is not uniform among them. Open those same files in a hex editor to show that there is the file name among the padding bytes where there should be zeros instead. It seems this is related to older tags, such as all those in tags\old tags.

This is a demo build for user feedback. Please provide comments about the document interface and behavior.

Download
Source
Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 06:59 PM

Play around with it; here is the basic document view interface for .point_physics:
Demo Video

Edited by sparky on Jul 7, 2017 at 08:16 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » UI/HUD location of the gametype icon? Jun 29, 2017 04:02 PM (Total replies: 3)

There are a number of HUD-related tag types, including HUD Globals, Weapon HUD Interface, and Grenade HUD Interface. It is difficult to find the appropriate tags, so try opening a duplicated Halo PC .map file in Eschaton and experimenting with that.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Having trouble editing CE maps Jun 29, 2017 03:58 PM (Total replies: 7)

I haven't really investigated this, but I'd like more information about what happens to the script text data in a scenario tag when the map cache file is generated.

Halo CE General Discussion » What do you guys think about... Jun 29, 2017 03:56 PM (Total replies: 10)

Post pics pl0x.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Having trouble editing CE maps Jun 29, 2017 03:21 PM (Total replies: 7)

Scripts are in the .scenario tag. You can actually open the tag with a text editor such as Notepad++ and delete everything that looks like it is besides the script text. Scroll down to the bottom of the file and look for "(script ", which indicates the start of .hsc script text. The end of the collective script text is the first NUL character thereafter. Delete all invisible glyphs such as NUL, as they appear in Notepad++.

Save the resulting text file with the file extension ".hsc" into your Halo Custom Edition "data" folder and put it into a "scripts" folder located in the corresponding directory path to your .scenario tag.

Your script text file can contain one-byte characters (between 0x01 and 0xFF, meaning non-fancy UTF8 is OK) and can contain up to 262143 characters -- it can be up to 262143 bytes in length. However, if you open your .scenario tag in Kornman's version of Guerilla, note that the multi-line text field it uses to display the script text will cause Guerilla to crash if the script is over 8191 characters. You can have up to 8 script files, and the sum total characters including all of them must be at most 262143 characters / bytes. Scripts will be compiled in file name alphabetical order, up to a maximum of 8 entries, which you can see towards the bottom of the .scenario tag in default Guerilla.

Load the .scenario in Sapien and do File -> Compile Scripts.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2879
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2567

Edited by sparky on Jun 29, 2017 at 03:47 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread Jun 28, 2017 10:38 PM (Total replies: 235)

I've been working on Inferno for about half a year. It's gone through a Mac OS X version and I stopped working on that to work on a Windows version. The Windows version had about 3 or 4 revisions, and the current version I think is fit to continue.

Inferno is a replacement for the Halo Editing Kit.

You can view the source code because it's open source. https://github.com/LiquidLightning/Inferno-Windows It uses C# and WPF.

I'll update this thread with the first version once it's ready to use. The first version will be a simple HEK tag editor to replace the tag editing functionality of Guerilla.

I was thinking of having a real-time editor using the game itself.

This does not yet support community hacks like Open Sauce or HAC2.

Inferno will eventually be able to read and write every interesting Halo file format including some odd ones that you probably wouldn't have any use in modifying. Memory modding is on the way also, and I figure I'll have that as the real-time map editor. More cool stuff is planned according to what I've mentioned in the past.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Guerilla Font Jun 24, 2017 02:18 PM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: HandofGod

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

It took me 14 hours and 30 minutes to make the Guerilla font and about 3.5 hours to remake the WINmenu font.

Almost 19 hours working on this total? That time could have been spent working on Zeus!

Edited by HandofGod on Jun 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Work on these fonts was a related tangent that took two days aside during a 7-day break period from working on Inferno. I am very verbose about progress in my Discord server. I was working on strings at the time and wanted to determine how Guerilla used glyphs and whether its behavior was affected by font. I also took much time to alter the kerning to match how it appears in Guerilla, although I am not interested in completing that work yet.

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about objects Jun 24, 2017 02:09 PM (Total replies: 6)

If it's multiplayer, you will notice that scenery does not synchronize over the network, so you would need to trigger it with something relevant to that which does synchronize, such as a player's location or a script or effect that triggers based upon a player's location.

Item Collections can be used to spawn objects. Read some of this to see what kinds of objects there are:

https://halo.galaxyverge.com/
Quote: 13 tag classes have obje (object) abstract super-classes. They are listed here according to their internal indices:
-1 / obje / .object / Object
0 / bipd / .biped / Biped
1 / vehi / .vehicle / Vehicle
2 / weap / .weapon / Weapon
3 / eqip / .equipment / Equipment
4 / garb / .garbage / Garbage
5 / proj / .projectile / Projectile
6 / scen / .scenery / Scenery
7 / mach / .device_machine / Machine
8 / ctrl / .device_control / Control Panel
9 / lifi / .device_light_fixture / Light Fixture
10 / plac / .placeholder / Object Placeholder
11 / ssce / .sound_scenery / Sound-Emitting Scenery

Edited by sparky on Jun 24, 2017 at 02:10 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to increase server list to Halo for PC? Jun 19, 2017 01:56 AM (Total replies: 8)

Check in the multiplayer lobby that the Filter settings show all servers. Also forward ports 2302 and 2303 UDP from your router to your computer and make sure the game's .exe has inbound and outbound permissions in Windows Firewall.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Guerilla Font Jun 19, 2017 01:39 AM (Total replies: 11)

I painstakingly reconstructed all the one-byte characters displayable by Guerilla.

Now you can display nostalgic Guerilla text in other applications. The font looks best at size 9 or size 12, one of which is what Guerilla uses.

Some of the work was adopted from Levi Windows, which apparently Guerilla uses and has additional glyphs making some kind of proprietary embedded font which you now can use. I added glyphs for all 256 code points, respecting the style of the original font but making some adjustments so that pretty much every code point has a unique glyph.

Guerilla font: https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/Guerilla.ttf
WinMenu (recrafted) font: https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/WinMenu.ttf

All the characters in the Guerilla font:

It took me 14 hours and 30 minutes to make the Guerilla font and about 3.5 hours to remake the WINmenu font.

Note: Guerilla uses a second font for the headings: WinMenu published in 2001 by Roger Vershen. It's part of a package of four fonts but is individually sold for $79. So instead, I'm remaking that font also...
Edited by sparky on Jun 20, 2017 at 04:46 PM

EDIT: I painstakingly updated the kerning of the font. It displays properly in Safari, but Chrome does something weird with font smoothing anyway, so whatever.

You can see how I tested it so that every letter matches specifically. Here is a demo web page:
https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/kit/resources/fonts/demo.html

This is what it looks like, and you can see how a screenshot of Guerilla behind a transparent window of the web page overlays 100% accurately. I did have to do a lot of adjustments via CSS, and then with the fonts also. The fonts linked are updated ("broken" to fit the kerning of how they are in Guerilla).

I can now remake Guerilla in its entirety as a web site.
Edited by sparky on Jun 20, 2017 at 10:55 PM

Simply use Google Drive or Dropbox.

Time: Sun July 23, 2017 12:45 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website