A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Gravemind
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 26, 2020 09:33 AM
Interests: stuff
Your Age: 9
What Games do you play: stuff
The Age of Reclamation has begun.

Post Statistics
Gravemind has contributed to 416 posts out of 464918 total posts (.09%) in 4,002 days (.10 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Jun 26, 2020 09:33 AM (Total replies: 146)

I'm inclined to say there's more to it than just colour space, because I get the same result whether I view it in Reclaimer or a DDS viewer. If you save as DDS from Reclaimer it performs no conversion, so there's no possibility of losing data through an incorrect conversion. When it does do a conversion, Reclaimer just uses the typical 32bit ARGB format as the output.

It's possible that Halo handles all that sort of thing in its shaders, or it may have some sort of automatic gamma correction. It's also possible that the textures used for the Unreal UI were modified to account for using different shading.

Edit 1:
There is some gamma related information in the bitmap tags separate from the actual pixel data, however it is rarely used. Is this gamma offset present on most bitmaps or only a certain few?

Edit 2:
New update: 1.4.175. See 'Halo 5' section in OP for more details on Halo 5 usage.
- Halo 5 support
- support for bitmaps
- partial model support - no support for normals or rigging
- no bsp support at this time
- to use Halo 5 meta viewer download Zedd's Halo 5 tag layouts into "\Plugins\Meta Viewer\Halo5\"
- fix sound extraction not working when target path contained spaces
- fix cubemaps in Reach maps not being identified as cubemaps
- fix a number of small (usually <128px) bitmaps being displayed incorrectly

Edited by Gravemind on Jul 8, 2020 at 08:22 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Jun 22, 2020 06:31 AM (Total replies: 146)

Quote: --- Original message by: Polingo
Some textures ripped with Reclaimer appear darker then they should.
Visibly, it looks like they are being gamma corrected by 0.4545 when they shouldn't. I have seen normal maps been affected by this as well, but they seem to be darkened in a manner.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/562743485669703686/724502528854851644/reclmr_txtr1hm.png

May need to copy the urls in browser window since according to the preview, the img tag doesn't appear to be working.

Gamma correcting the textures by 2.2 (the inverse of 0.4545) in photoshop seems to negate it for the most part but some depth will be lost if the texture has some dark areas as seen in the example above. Texture there is the red channel of storm_spartan_markv_torso_control from Halo 4 patch maps.

What makes you say it should look like that? What tool did you use that gave you that output? I opened the raw DDS image using a DDS viewer and it looked the same as what Reclaimer is showing.

And another question, were blend shapes by chance ever looked into? to be more specific, they're deformations of the original mesh used typically for facial animation as mentioned on the first page. The only Halo game that uses them to my knowledge is Halo 4, hence the absence of face bones on the head models.

I think I know where the data is, but animations are something I don't understand on a small enough level to be able to do anything with them. I can do 2D and 3D math but very little 4D math.

I will have a look at the other issues and see what I can fix in the next update.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Jun 20, 2020 07:42 AM (Total replies: 146)

I haven't looked into Halo 2 sounds before but considering there are other tools capable of extracting them it's certainly possible.

I'm currently working on other things though so if I do get around to it, it probably won't be for a while.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Jun 14, 2020 05:58 AM (Total replies: 146)

Quote: --- Original message by: 50predator50
I changed my output to xma and noticed that it extracted fine, but not with wav. When I changed the output log to true, I saw that it couldn't extract to a directory path that had folders with spaces in their name.

I have found the issue and it will be resolved in the next update.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Jun 9, 2020 10:29 PM (Total replies: 146)

Quote: --- Original message by: gpGlobals
I'm running into a strange error when trying to extract sounds. It *only* occurs for sounds, too, and I'm using the most recent version released in your previous post. Any idea what might be causing this?

Are you using the correct version of FFmpeg? You need to choose the 32bit static option on the download page.
Edited by Gravemind on Jun 9, 2020 at 10:31 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 29, 2020 09:00 AM (Total replies: 146)

New update available with the following:
- support MCC Halo Reach maps (shoutout to Lord Zedd)
- new recent files menu
- add status bar to show current tag in batch extraction without output viewer visible
- output viewer no longer opens automatically when starting a batch extract
- add jpeg save option for bitmaps
- fix extraction of permutations with multiple meshes (ie Halo 4 faces)
- fix extraction of rigid boned meshes in Halo 2
- fix models not loading on Halo4 patch maps

Quote: --- Original message by: Demoxicini
i really need a vmf exporter, i used 3Dmax but it gives error, sorry to bother you Gravemind.
I don't have the tools to build and test a vmf exporter.
Edited by Gravemind on May 29, 2020 at 08:18 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 26, 2020 06:51 AM (Total replies: 146)

Whenever I import some head models from Halo 4 into max, they dont seem to do so properly.

So far the only models that I peeped at that have this issue are Cortana, Didact, and Lasky. They appear fine in the model viewer, however.

When I try extracting bitmaps from any game via model viewer, it gives me this.
Error extracting objects\characters\storm_masterchief\bitmaps\storm_masterchief_default\storm_masterchief_default_armor_arm_diff.bitmap
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Reclaimer.Controls.ModelViewer.<>c__DisplayClass47_0.<btnSaveBitmaps_Click>b__0()

The Halo Reach sniper rifle does not seem to open.
And lastly, H2 first person needler does not seem to import with its needles skinned.

These will all be resolved in the next update.

Not sure if this one is an issue, or if they are just not supported, but H4 dlc models don't seem to open either.

I wasn't able to reproduce this on the Crimson or Castle maps. What file were you using?

Also, out of curiosity, has there been any progress been made on H5F support? I recall seeing a few folks with a build of Reclaimer that can open h5 stuff to a limited extent but thats about it if I am not mistaken.

I did start on Halo 5 a while back, but I hadn't done much before MCC took the stage. Now it seems most people are only interested in MCC so that's what I'm currently working on.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 22, 2020 11:02 PM (Total replies: 146)

I have found the issue and it will be resolved in the next update.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 22, 2020 01:56 AM (Total replies: 146)

The raw pages is part of the included tag definitions. Basically, anything necessary for Reclaimer’s functionality is standard. The standard way to make the libraries would be using VB.NET or C#.NET, though really anything will work as long as you make a compatible wrapper for it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 21, 2020 07:42 PM (Total replies: 146)

Is there a standard library that can provide a few tag-reading convenience functions for plugins?

Yes, but only a few tags are available out of the box. For other tags, or unmapped parts of the current tags, you can either add a new definition for it and let the library handle the reading or if you really want you can just use the offset provided and read it yourself or use a separate library to read it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 21, 2020 05:22 AM (Total replies: 146)

it is a possiblity Gravemind that you can create another options to extract the map as a vmf file or it's not possible for you, i could understand.

it's possible to extract Halo 2 sound with reclaimer because the batch tag extract doesn't show it.

VMF export isn't something I would have the time or resources to implement. I wasn't able to find much for Blender, but I can see that 3ds Max has a few VMF plugins available so you could export from Reclaimer to Max, then from Max to Hammer.
Halo 2 sound extraction is not supported at this time.

Oh dang, you can write plugins for it? Is there any guide or such on how to do that? I haven't seen anything about that.

I thought I mentioned it in the OP but I just checked and it turns out I didn't.
Currently all controls within Reclaimer (tag tree, bitmap viewer, model viewer, batch extraction etc) are actually internalized plugins. These types of features can also be added via external plugins.
I haven't written up a guide or anything yet because there doesn't seem to be any interest, but if you want to know more you can send me a message. The plugins are done using .NET libraries, though you could also use other methods as long as you create a .NET wrapper so Reclaimer can communicate with it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 15, 2020 11:07 PM (Total replies: 146)

could you add the vmf format to use this for hammer editor (Valve game) if you can..

Probably the best option there would be to export it to Blender or Max first, as one of those would likely have plugins to create vmf files.

Extraction to the .vmf/.bsp format *is* theoretically possible, but it'd require someone to make a separate tool for it - I don't think this is necessarily within Reclaimer's scope.

Reclaimer supports the creation of plugins/addons/extensions, whatever you choose to call them. If someone more familiar with Valve games and/or Hammer Editor and the vmf format wanted to they would be able to create a plugin that adds that functionality to Reclaimer without any changes needing to be made to Reclaimer itself.

I do have a separate question as well, though - when extracting a bitmap as a .dds file, are the mipmaps embedded in there, too? If not, could that be implemented; maybe even give the option to extract each mipmap individually as a separate image?

Reclaimer currently does not use the mipmaps in any way, though it would be possible.

Quote: --- Original message by: MaydelcoreZone
Won't open and gives immediate crash.
Already re-installed it tons of times and still get the same problem.
What is going on?

Reclaimer requires .NET Framework 6.4.2. Based on the error message, it would seem you don't currently have that installed. You can download it here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net462-offline-installer
Edited by Gravemind on May 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 13, 2020 06:39 AM (Total replies: 146)

Quote: --- Original message by: Zerox
Try opening it via Powershell and seeing if an error message can be forced to come up that way.
This is a tutorial on how to do that with Blender if you have no idea what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVi6ZvZLmQ

Good thinking but in this case Reclaimer is calling an external exe to do the conversion. I'm not sure if the output from the external exe would show up in a Powershell window attached to Reclaimer.

no sorry, i redownloaded this but when i extract one tag, there is any sound.

I've uploaded a new version with an extra sound setting called LogFFmpegOutput. Change this setting to true and try extracting a single sound tag and see if any errors show up in the output viewer.

To change the setting; install the update then open Reclaimer and go to 'View > App Directory'. Close Reclaimer first then edit the settings.json file and make sure to save it before you open Reclaimer again.

If there are no errors try changing the OutputExtension setting to "xma" and see if the sound files still come out empty.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 12, 2020 05:02 AM (Total replies: 146)

Did you change any settings? I was able to extract that tag just fine as wav.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 11, 2020 05:53 AM (Total replies: 146)

Changing the AssimpScale doesn't make a difference, I'm guessing it was a coincidence that shrinking it by ~0.02539999969303608 made it just about match up.

I have tried importing it to 3ds Max 2018 student edition and several warning come up when importing it, however, it seems to be importing the collada file as an fbx for some reason.

I'm not sure what exactly those errors mean, but it doesn't appear to affect the results when importing into Max. Unfortunately if Blender is ignoring the unit size I don't know what else I can do. The collada file generation is done using a third party library so I have little control over it. I provide the bones and vertices in the same coordinate system so even if the scale was off they should both be off by the same amount and still match up.

Hello Gravemind, there is an error with the sound extractor, i post it to you.

System.IO.IOException: the communication canal have been closed.

What build of FFmpeg did you download? The link I posted should take you to here https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ where you should choose Windows 32-bit Architecture and Static Linking. It probably won't work if you download the 64-bit version.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 7, 2020 05:26 AM (Total replies: 146)

I've just added a new setting in the ModelViewer section called AssimpScale. You will need to open and close Reclaimer after updating to update the settings file. If Blender is using that unit field in the collada file, setting AssimpScale to 1 may resolve your issue, or maybe even 39.463299.
If not, then the actual vertex coordinates will need to be pre-scaled when outputting the collada file.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 6, 2020 09:23 AM (Total replies: 146)

If toggling the alpha channel has no effect it means the image either has no alpha or the alpha channel is fully opaque.

In regards to rendering, most textures in Halo don't use the alpha as transparency. There are some that do, but most of the time I believe the alpha is used for specular or something like that. To make it look right in Blender you'd have to configure the material to not use transparency or use a copy of the texture that has been exported without alpha. In the case of the hologram texture it's likely just using solid black as a transparency colour.

The bones issue may be due to the collada import settings. I don't know about Blender, but at least with 3ds Max there are a number of settings around skins and animation. I can confirm that when importing it into 3ds Max the weighting works as expected. Additionally, if Blender has a scale option for import make sure it is set to 1.0. I know with Max if you change it to meters or anything other than 1.0 the scale conversion will ruin the vertex weights.
Edited by Gravemind on May 6, 2020 at 09:26 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 6, 2020 06:08 AM (Total replies: 146)

However, there is still an issue with the bones. They are in the correct location and are correctly named, however, they being exported as empty objects instead of bones.

Turns out I missed a spot when I added the name prefixes. This should be sorted now in 1.2.147.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer May 4, 2020 09:21 AM (Total replies: 146)

Reclaimer uses Assimp to generate the collada files. I'm not sure whether its Assimp or the collada format in general, but it seems to get confused when two sibling objects have the same name. In the H2 gravity throne model, "hull" is both a bone and a mesh. I've updated the export to prefix bone names with (~) and mesh names with (-).

New version is available.
It should fix the obj and collada issues mentioned above and also includes support for Halo 3 and Reach sound extraction including surround sounds (only via batch extraction). See the Sound Extraction section in the OP for more information.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Apr 28, 2020 07:05 AM (Total replies: 146)

Error message in the top corner is the error when importing the obj, and the rest is what shows up when I import the collada file to blender.

I may be able to fix that obj error, I'll check it out. I'm not sure if I can do anything about the collada issue though without an error to tell me what's wrong.

Quote: --- Original message by: RevOcelotMGS
Aye-o, any word on MCC PC/CEA/H2A support? Would love to get my hands on some stuff from CEA And H2A especially, since H2A is now flighting for PC.

There is already texture support for CEA using the Xbox 360 game files, though they need to be decompressed first using AMD's Halo CEA compression tools.
I'm currently working on support for sounds. I may have a look at MCC after that but given how slow everything has been moving I can't guarantee anything will happen with it.

Time: Sat July 11, 2020 4:40 AM 688 ms.
A Halo Maps Website