A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: YakZSmelk
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 23, 2015 05:39 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 25
What Games do you play: Halo Reach, Starcraft 2, Dead Space, Alan Wake
- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Post Statistics
YakZSmelk has contributed to 1383 posts out of 463670 total posts (.30%) in 4,128 days (.34 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » What's been going on? Sep 23, 2015 05:39 PM (Total replies: 26)

Quote: --- Original message by: clonecam117
That's a good question. It's like an abusive relationship; I keep coming back even though every time I do I get beaten and insulted.
Edited by clonecam117 on Sep 23, 2015 at 02:45 AM

That's why stalking this forum is sooo much better than actually participating.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo PC Installer Link Jul 29, 2015 02:56 PM (Total replies: 9)

Perfect! When I clicked download link I accidentally clicked into the next download option (the Spanish version).

Thanks Grunter!

Also thank you raffgie for reminding me why I stopped posting on this forum!
Quote: --- Original message by: raffgie
If for whatever reason you still want to download Halo PC, then you should find it yourself.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo PC Installer Link Jul 29, 2015 02:27 PM (Total replies: 9)

Pretty sure this was the first one I tried but;

"Description: Halo Custom Edition (CE) installation archive. FOR SPANISH LANGUAGE INSTALLES ONLY! NOTE: You must have a copy of Halo PC to install this program"

The original standard installer is what I need.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo PC Installer Link Jul 29, 2015 02:05 PM (Total replies: 9)

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a clean installer for Halo PC. No cracks needed I have a serial just no installer.

Recently I uncovered a bunch of old map files on my HDD and wanted to check them out in Sapien but I cannot install the HEK without Halo on my C.

Dennis if this breaks any rules, I apologize in advance.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Halo 3 High Ground Dec 12, 2014 12:28 PM (Total replies: 74)

@OP;

FINALLY! haha I've wanted to see Highground in HCE for far too long. Hands down this one of the best Halo maps in the entire series.

Halo CE General Discussion » Particle Fx Tutorial Ideas. Dec 12, 2014 12:25 PM (Total replies: 13)

Isn't the particle framework the same for all of these weapons? Muzzle flash and then shell discharge?

I haven't created particles for Halo so I could be wrong, but if not I think creating a tutorial on; creating Muzzle Flashes and Shell discharge that explains the variables in depth would be the most helpful.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Collection PC Petition NOW!!!! Dec 5, 2014 10:48 PM (Total replies: 145)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Not gonna happen, xbone will be much less worth of the MC collection isn't exclusive.

Ask for Halo 3 on Steam instead.

With the current state of the MCC on the Xbone, this could be a great way for Microsoft to recoup it's losses (all the money that's being pumped in to fix the mess this game is).

Still doubt it will happen.

I don't know anything about "Brutally Attacking", maybe verbally? Even then, I'm sure that's only on the internet where no one matters.

The reason Halo 4 gets such a bad rap is because it is the worst Halo multiplayer experience of all the games. From bad map design to unbalanced starting loadouts the game really didn't cater to any type of Halo fan.

That's not to say the game isn't fun, it's just not nearly as good as it's predecessors.

BUT I'd also like to add, the Single Player had the best story-telling, second only to Halo 2.

Hope that helps.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Dec 3, 2014 at 07:10 PM

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Halo 2 Anniversary audio Oct 13, 2014 04:55 PM (Total replies: 5)

That new sniper sounds awesome! I cannot wait for this collection.

Halo CE General Discussion » New moder looking for advice Aug 23, 2014 02:24 PM (Total replies: 27)

Look for modeling tutorials in the application you'll be working with. It's more important to understand how to model before you dive into HCE. Also don't feel constrained to looking at "Halo Tutorials" go to other websites with 3D Artist, I frequent Polycount for inspiration all the time and they have a wiki section with great tutorials.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Category:EnvironmentModeling
Edited by YakZSmelk on Aug 23, 2014 at 02:24 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Anniversary Delta Halo Gameplay Aug 14, 2014 09:19 AM (Total replies: 71)

Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
It honestly looks like Halo 3. It doesn't even look like Halo 2.

Still not so sure on this.

What's not to be sure about? Same great game with high resolution graphics!

I watched the Cairo Station gameplay when they announced the MCC and couldn't care less, after seeing a bit of Delta Halo, I'm pleasantly excited.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
The thing I didn't like about the overall story (including spartan ops) was that they added so many other Spartans, that I feel it detracted from the legendary awesomeness of the Spartans and the belief that the master chief was the only spartan left alive. It seemed like the UNSC could promote anyone they wanted to a spartan with the chemical enhancements. Spartans r cheep, where can I git one?!

This. I feel like the Spartan IIIs were the closest we should have gotten to "disposable" super soldiers. There were more of them, they were cheaper, but they had tradeoffs: they had no energy shielding (with a few exceptions), and they basically had to operate as a fireteam to accomplish what a solitary Spartan could. But in Halo 4, not only do we have more Spartans, we have an entire service branch of Spartans (with no chain of command because *makes fart noise with mouth*) that anyone can join and become a supercommando almost on-par with the Chief.

It'd be like the Star Wars universe suddenly became as simple as, "Any random being in the galaxy can go to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and become a Jedi." It ruins the exclusivity, detracts from, as you said, the legendary status we've come to associate with Spartans.
Edited by Echo77 on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I agree with both of your sentiments towards Chief being the only Spartan left, but from what I picked up from the story was that Human Evolution is cyclical and the creation of/existence of the Spartan program is what keeps Humanity at odds with Forerunners. And that I like!

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Jul 3, 2014 02:27 PM (Total replies: 11342)

Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
Quote: --- Original message by: ASCENDANTJUSTICE
More rustiness to the corners. BUT OTHERWISE KEEWL.

i'm not sure you understand how tiling works, one does not simply mess with corners

I believe he was referring to the edges.

Speaking of edges; some highlight on the edge would add more depth to the insets.

Edited by YakZSmelk on Jul 3, 2014 at 03:00 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Coming Events in the Halo Series? Jun 6, 2014 06:37 PM (Total replies: 5)

I'm sure quite of few of you have probably seen this but I thought I'd share since my knowledge of the Halo Universe is drawn from the games only.

http://kotaku.com/hints-about-the-future-of-halo-that-you-may-have-missed-1587302829?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

I'm hoping this might inspire some SP missions.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jun 6, 2014 at 06:37 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 15, 2014 02:34 PM (Total replies: 14957)

Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk
You're not wrong, but utilizing the Blue Channel is a very common technique used by industry artists. If you have a good normal the blue channel can easily be Blurred Multiplied to created a believable AO.

It should be noted that when using the Blue Channel Method you do want to have an AO bake of the lowpoly to combine with.

bad industry artists, yes.

and if you have the time for an AO bake then go all out for the good looks. the job calls for what will look good, not what might look good.

Eh.....I'd give them more credit than calling them bad, since they have to pump out numerous amounts of assets in a short amount of time. As opposed to the years the Halomaps community has to finish a single asset. :P

But if time permits there's n reason no to bake an AO, which brings me to the next post.

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Anyone using mental ray for AO? I've been using scanline with lighttracer up till now.

I use Scanline for it's speed, Mental Ray seems a little funny on my computer, from time to time it's really fast! But the majority of the time is slow as hell... I usually end up using Mental Ray when GoZ turns it on for me and I don't catch it before the render.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Jan 14, 2014 09:19 PM (Total replies: 11342)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
can't wait to see more progress.

Its slowly coming along.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/Maniac1000/progress8_zps3fc83665.png

I'm liking the illumination, is this for an update to the menu screen?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 13, 2014 08:47 PM (Total replies: 14957)

Quote: --- Original message by: master noob

To get an AO from your Normal, you can always grab the Blue Channel and multiply it over your diffuse.

no
no, no no no no, no no.
AO is dependent on how light reflects, whereas the blue channel stores zdepth. multiplying the blue channel of a normal map does not emulate AO as it will not properly convey shadows.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53550883/dgh.jpg
the left is a normal map's blue channel whereas the right is the AO bake. notice how, in the blue channel, shadows aren't properly conveyed in the corners and insets, and only the 2 pieces' shapes are identifiable. on the right, insets get darker as they get further from the light and more shapes are easily visible/defined. the completely black parts are where shapes intersect/where the render cuts off, allowing for a more visual representation of where shapes slot into the mesh, allowing for an easier time painting things like rust stains, leaks, dust, or other corner-dependent details.
Edited by master noob on Jan 13, 2014 at 07:16 PM

You're not wrong, but utilizing the Blue Channel is a very common technique used by industry artists. If you have a good normal the blue channel can easily be Blurred Multiplied to created a believable AO.

It should be noted that when using the Blue Channel Method you do want to have an AO bake of the lowpoly to combine with.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jan 13, 2014 at 08:48 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
I'd like to make a highpoly to get those details with ambient occlusion that I don't have the skills in texturing to make, a lot more details and such.
I'm not a texturer at all and I fail at adding the big details I want to put

To get an AO from your Normal, you can always grab the Blue Channel and multiply it over your diffuse. You'll want to also create an AO from the lowpoly so that your AO matches better.

That's if you just use nDo.

Now for baking why are you trying to use the push modifier?

Doesnt the model needs to be right over the surface of the baking reciever ?

I'm assuming you mean the lowpoly? And the answer is no, you tend to get artifacting in the bakes if the models sit directly on top of one another but this can be remedied by applying a transparent material to the lowpoly before baking. Also you will want to play around with the anti-aliasing setting in your rendered to try and keep edges clean.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jan 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 13, 2014 04:15 PM (Total replies: 14957)

Double Post.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jan 13, 2014 at 04:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 13, 2014 04:15 PM (Total replies: 14957)

I'd like to make a highpoly to get those details with ambient occlusion that I don't have the skills in texturing to make, a lot more details and such.
I'm not a texturer at all and I fail at adding the big details I want to put

To get an AO from your Normal, you can always grab the Blue Channel and multiply it over your diffuse. You'll want to also create an AO from the lowpoly so that your AO matches better.

That's if you just use nDo.

Now for baking why are you trying to use the push modifier?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 10, 2014 07:13 PM (Total replies: 14957)

Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
Isn't the DMR bullpup? Or is canon not applying here?

It is, but I believe there are some concepts of the Halo 4/Reach weapons that aren't bullpup. I think it looks pretty cool!

Edited by YakZSmelk on Jan 10, 2014 at 07:14 PM

Time: Fri July 21, 2017 12:38 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website