A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: spartin115
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 17, 2015 07:13 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Post Statistics
spartin115 has contributed to 366 posts out of 468638 total posts (.08%) in 3,497 days (.10 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Apr 17, 2015 07:13 AM (Total replies: 2780)

There is an interesting discussion about morals and ethics within all of this. In particular, the idea that hacking into software is "immoral" is particularly interesting.

Some people, like our one and only Dennis, seem see this situation in a straight forward manner: Hacking is illegal, and therefore anyone who is partaking in it must be morally and ethically bankrupt.

Other people, like a number of the users here, seem to see the issue quite differently. They care not about the legality of the situation, and only see hacking as a harmless means to an end, and the people who participate in it are not breaking any moral code.

So, by looking at the two different views, we can see that key contention here appears to be weather or not something being illegal automaticly makes something immoral. Now, there are some obvious cases that most people will see as the law and their morals being in alignment. For example, almost everyone will agree that a law that states that murder is illegal is also ethical. However, others will disagree on weather or not breaking a law is immoral. For instance, some countries, such as Saudi Arabia, have bans on women driving (World Report 2014 - Saudi Arabia, 2013). Many people, particularly westerners, would not see breaking this law as being moralaly wrong, in fact, many would see this as the right thing to do. Therefore, it is possible that breaking a law, in some cases, may actually be morally permissible.

Now, lets look specifically at whether or not the people who have modified a leaked build of Halo: Online are immoral in their actions. Fristly, at least in countires like the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia, their actions are most certainly illegal (Greenberg, 2015). However, weather or not these people are immoral or unethical is another issue entirely. Depending on what ethical code you subscribe to, this issue has a number of answers. A utilitarian, for instance, would believe that modifying the code of a piece of software, particularly a free one, would be morally sound, as the company would loose nothing from the changes and people would benefit from the changes, therefore causing the greatest good for the greatest number. A person who subscribes to Natural law theory, however, would likely not even see the situation as an ethical dilemma, as, in nature, reverse engineering and modification is a staple of nature. An Idealist, however, would likely is a person who modifies the software as being fundamentally wrong.

Personally, I believe that the the people who are modifying this leaked build are not morally bankrupt. However, I also do not believe that they are the second coming of Christ/ 15th coming of the Dalai Lama / the next best StarCraft2 Korean player. While, I see the potential of the content that they are creating/modifying to be exciting, I also still am holding out hope for Halo: Online proper. We do not know the extent of the microtransations or what effect they will have on gameplay. We do not know whether the game will be modified before it reaches western markets. We do not know anything, really, and I still hold out hope. If Halo: Online goes south, I will likely just go and play some other FPS to fill the void, such as Quake Live, CS:GO or even the dreaded Call Of Duty. PC gaming is an extremely large and varied space, and I feel that I don't need to resort to playing a buggy modified version of a F2P game that will eventually come out anyway. Realistikly, I don't even play early assess games anyway, why would I want to play a game that hasn't even been pushed out prematurely by official sources.

So the moral of the story is:

• Everyone has their own option

• Hacking, while illegal, is not always morally wrong

• PC gaming is a large space, so even if Halo : Online is the next Dungeon Keeper: Mobile, its not the end of the world

Reference List

World Report 2014 - Saudi Arabia. (2013). Retrieved 14/04/2015, fromhttp://www.hrw.org/world-report/2013/country-chapters/saudi-arabia

Greenber, P. (2015). Computer Crime Statutes. Retrieved 14/04/2015, from http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/computer-hacking-and-unauthorized-access-laws.aspx

Halo CE General Discussion » How to convert a halo PC map to CE Apr 16, 2015 03:07 AM (Total replies: 7)

All of the vanilla Halo: PC campaign and multilayer maps are available on the Halo CE Maps section of the website, you can just pick them up from there.

MP Maps: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=1&sid=11
SP Maps: Just search the level on the site the levels are, in order A10, A30, A50, B30, B40
C10, C20, C40, d20 and d40

Is there any way to make the into cinematic skipable, I don't feel the need to sit through the same cutsceen every time I want to play the level.

Halo CE General Discussion » [VIDEO] What Makes a Hard Game Enjoyable Mar 2, 2015 03:28 AM (Total replies: 4)

Hey everyone, I decided to put together a video editorial about what makes hard games enjoyable. In it, I discuss what games I believe got "Hard" right and contrast them with ones I believe got it wrong. Why is the this relevant to Halo Custom Edition? In the video (about 3 minutes in) I discuss why I believe Halo 2 got legendary wrong and why Halo: CE got it right, and I thought that this might be helpful to people trying to put together good game design in their maps.

Link to the Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSQYz800v2k

Edit: Fixed link

Edited by spartin115 on Mar 2, 2015 at 05:08 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail Dratt. It's good to see that TD:E will have it's gameplay interrupted far less that TD:PL. Also, your explanation to exactly why there were so may cutscenes in TD:PL was very interesting, and I can see why the limitations of the BSP and game engine would have caused the level have to be designed in such a way. I'm looking forward to TD:E even more now after hearing what you had to say.

Halo CE General Discussion » Music Help! Feb 11, 2015 09:48 PM (Total replies: 1)

To my knowledge, the problem is caused by how the -BLAM- engine handles sound priorities.

Halo: CE can only handle so may sounds being played at once, and if the game receives more requests to play a sound than it can handle, it will stop less important ones from playing so it can play the more important ones.

Near the top of the sound tag there is a dropdown menu that allows you to chooses what class the sound is. There are a bunch of options, such as "projectile impact" and "music". Music, oddly enough, is not at the top of the priority list, so when a the sound limit is reached, the game will stop the music, play the new sound that is of a higher priority, and then restart the music once there is a free sound slot. The only way to fix this is to set the music to a higher sound type. However, here's the problem, I can't remember what sound type is the highest priority, so you will ether have to scours the depths of this forum to find out, or just experiment with the different types until you find one that stops the sound from being cut out.

Hey Dratt, just a quick question. What would you say is the proportion of game play to cutscenes in Takedown: Extermination? I ask because I recently replayed Takedown: Poject Lawson and felt that it pulled control away from the player a bit to often, which lead to me becoming annoyed enough to not want to finish it. I felt that this was a shame, as I remember my first play though of it being quite enjoyable, but in the time since then, my tolerance for being pulled away from the game has dropped significantly.

For instance, in TD:PL, after sitting through a large amount of introduction stuff and some novel but ultimately pointless RPG-light side quest, the player finally gets exposed to the first real bit of gameplay, a warthog section. This section is quite fun, but only lasts for a short amount of time, before being interrupted by a short and pointless cutscene. The content of this cutscene could have easily been done without taking control away from the player. Following this, the player then has to do more non interactive walking until they are met with yet another cutscene. This time, Lawson, decides to spend a significant amount of time talking about exposition that take almost as much time as the previous encounter. Once this exchange has been completed, the player then leaves with his AI buddy and walks for a bit, only to then find the next encounter. This encounter, again, is relatively decent. However, once the player starts to move out, the environment strongly encourgeing the player to just drive to the end, ignoring all the enemies in the path. However, I will skip over this, as the content that makes up the gameplay to the gameplay vs cutscene discussion.

Following this encounter, the player, again has to go through more non ineractive walking and cutseens. Following this period of non-interactivity, the player then reaches the next gameplay segment: a turret section. Now, I can see why this was included, turret sections are not a part of vanilla Halo CE and its inclusion showcases a feat of -BLAM- script programming. However, turret sections more often than not, are nothing more than an "on the rails" shooter, which makes the section replay very poorly due to the lack of options the player has. This is the reason that vanilla Halo CE does not include turret segments, they clash with the "approach the encounter any way you want" game design that is central to a good FPS single player. The same thing goes for an overabundance of cutscenes, the more they interrupt the gameplay, the less replayable and therefore enjoyable a single player FPS becomes.

Let's take a look at some examples of AAA FPS single players and how they use cutscene in relation to their gameplay.

DOOM 1 & 2: Only brief text interludes in between Episodes. This allows for a high amount of reputability and a focus on gameplay, but causes the story to become almost non-existant

COD 4 and beyond: Highly scripted and linear, renowned for there unintentional "B Movie" like experience, in terms of both length and narrative. The focus on set pieces (similar to that found it TD:PL) causes the gameplay to boil down to an "on rails shooter" but with the ability to move left and right.

Wolfensitne: The New Order: Very much a story focused FPS, which even includes a number of action setpeices. However, unlike COD, Wolfenstine spaces these out in a significant manner. For the majority of a level, the player is free to approach the game as they see fit. The only time the gameplay is punctuated by a non-interactive cutscene is during the beginning or end of a level. This allows for the player to have an enjoyable time interacting with the mechanics of the game whist still getting the story driven experience through in game diolog or through the spaced out cutscenes.

---------------
Well, that went on longer than expected. Anyway, I still appreciate your work, and I look forward to seeing your current projects. I understand that it probably is to late in the development process for you to change TD:E's design philosophy, but I though I my through in my 2 cents anyway.

P.S. The large weapon models in TD:PL make the mod look like a bad console port. Large weapon models only really exist to free up framerate for console because the geometry is hidden behind them. On PC, they just obscure the vision.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Campaign Nov 19, 2014 10:56 PM (Total replies: 112)

My biggest problem with Halo 2: Vista, besides the terrible Editing Kit, is how bad of a PC port it is. Not only is the game locked at some crazy low FoV without a third party hack, but the game also has some godawful mouse acceleration that is irremovable, making the use of mouse and keyboard an extremely frustrating experience. The only thing that the game did right was allow the animations to run at 60 FPS, which, ironically, is the only thing that would be made worse if the campaign was ported to CE. Oh, that and all of the other stuff that the CE engine just cant handle.

Halo CE General Discussion » Doom Style (Sprite) FP arms instead of models? Nov 17, 2014 12:21 AM (Total replies: 13)

As others have said, its possible. However, your probably better off just using the original id tech 1 engine from DOOM and DOOM II. These game are easily modded by using a tool such as DOOM builder ( http://www.doombuilder.com/ ). In many ways .wad modification is far easier than creating maps for the BLAM! engine.

Halo CE General Discussion » Good Single Player Maps Oct 5, 2014 12:21 AM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Coluseum II

This was one of the first SP maps I ever played in Halo CE, good times.

Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98
The Flood: Forgotten Exile

Oh yeah, I remember this, although I believe it was called Stop the Key from Turning when I first played it. Did they ever get around to making the other maps in the campaign or did the project just close up after the release?

Quote: --- Original message by: Adler
A10 through D40.

This goes without saying. Next you'll be recommending UI.map as a good way to load maps.

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
The Johnlex Experience

Is he still making the "amazing" multiplier maps. Yay! /sarcasm

Halo CE General Discussion » Good Single Player Maps Oct 4, 2014 05:40 AM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Add Project Lawson to the list (bunch of funky fresh maps by hipster MattDratt).
An older but still enjoyable firefight map, made by yours truly: b40_firefight.

Thanks for the reminder, just retired b40_firefight and it was heaps of fun.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
There's the Universal UI v1.1. You could download that and consequently go to download all the SP maps that are referenced there.

Yeah, I tried that, but there are some that are just not very good. Earth Firefight is an example of this. The campaign section doesn't seem that shabby though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Good Single Player Maps Oct 4, 2014 03:51 AM (Total replies: 23)

Hey guys and gals, Spartin115 here. I've been away from the Halo CE community for awhile and just decided to re install the game. However, I just realized that I have almost completely forgotten what some of the best Single Player maps are. So, post your favorite single player maps so I can remember some of the best.

Here are a few that I do know:

Firefight-Fissurefall (My GOD! Nepotism)

The Covert Ops series

The Lumoria campaign

CMT SPV1/2/a50.yelo

Another Stupid Campaign Mod (ASCM)

Firefight Descent

Hugeass.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Firefight Descent UI Dec 6, 2012 01:12 AM (Total replies: 66)

UI seems quite cool, I will download it. Also, thanks for adding Fissurefall to it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [SP]The Flood: Forgotten Exile StKft Release Sep 21, 2012 01:59 AM (Total replies: 118)

I liked Sgt Kelly from DOOM 3. His voice that is.
Edited by spartin115 on Sep 21, 2012 at 02:00 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » OS install issues! We need your help! Aug 20, 2012 02:53 AM (Total replies: 39)

1. Do you have OS installed or not?

Yes

2. If OS is installed, did you have any problems installing it? If you did have problems, what were they, and how did you fix them.

I had no problems

3. If OS is not installed, in as much detail as possible, explain what happened when you tried to install it.

N/A

4. If you uninstalled OS, why?

N/A

5. What third part apps, hacks, and addons do you often use? Do they cause any problems with OS? If so what are they ant what type of problems?

Steam, causes a bug where the F7 menu is broken

6. What files in your CE main directory have you ever replaced?

Init.txt, Config.txt

7. Does the lack of compatibility with xfire influence your decision to use OS or no.

I do not use xfire anymore, steam is better

8. what version of CE do you use, and do you have version changer, or have you ever used it?

1.09, I have version changer
Edited by spartin115 on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:54 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom for Android?? Aug 13, 2012 03:34 AM (Total replies: 83)

No, it has not. If it was, Microsoft would take it down in an instant.

Halo CE General Discussion » Takedown: The Introduction Aug 13, 2012 03:32 AM (Total replies: 28)

Voice acting......

Nah, just kidding, the map was great for what it was, an introduction.
However, you could have made better use of music to create the mood.

Halo CE General Discussion » OpenSauce Y U NO USE? Jul 2, 2012 08:35 PM (Total replies: 14)

I use OpenSauce, but it has some minor compatibility issues with launching halo through steam.

i.e. the F7 menu not working correctly. This is fixed by running halo through a desktop shortcut and not a steam shortcut.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Sep 29, 2011 03:47 AM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan 279
@ 1337 and Waffles

Looking Damn good. Like the shaders on the helmet.

Which is better. 1 or 2?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7364/aug2e.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4441/augorigins.jpg

1, but it would be better if it were the SA1

Time: Tue April 23, 2019 1:22 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website